Boot into SD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot into SD?

This might be a dumb question, and I promise I did search... can you set SD as your system shell so you can boot directly into it when cold-booting? CF has it in it's General Options, but I'm guessing with SD it's either a command line switch, or, not possible?
    My Grandma & Her Friends on Their Spring Vacation

I asked Chuck about this once but was informed that it wouldn't be advised.

I'll see if I can get him to chime in here.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

You can, but some video cards have problems doing Direct3D before explorer has started.
      StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
      Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
      The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

If Chuck advises against it, I won't beat the subject too much.

I do wonder though, doesn't the G4 sold by the store boot directly into Streetdeck? Or is that only out of Standby/Hibernate?

Comment

Originally posted by god_of_cpu View Post
          You can, but some video cards have problems doing Direct3D before explorer has started.
          My video card is a 2007 model. Perhaps it's new enough that it will work? Or is it based on manufacturer.

Comment

Chuck - do you happen to have any information about which cards might not handle this well?
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

well I'm using a GMA950, and I'm attempting this, if I get it working I'll post how I did and you can try it.

Originally posted by Nola111 View Post
              My video card is a 2007 model. Perhaps it's new enough that it will work? Or is it based on manufacturer.
              --
              2001 Ford F-150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4, Supercharged

Comment

Great, thanks.

Comment

I haven't played around with it myself. Theres probably an easy work around even if you do have issues, its just not something we've tried real hard to get working yet.
                  StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                  Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                  The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

always a yet that is how you can tell a good programmer, never says it's not possible, just not yet

Originally posted by god_of_cpu View Post
                    I haven't played around with it myself. Theres probably an easy work around even if you do have issues, its just not something we've tried real hard to get working yet.
                    --
                    2001 Ford F-150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4, Supercharged

Comment

I have tried changing the windows shell to Streetdeck, but I can't get it to attempt to open at all. When I set the shell to Streetdeck, nothing opens when windows starts. I can open the task manager, and launch streetdeck before explorer is opened to I'm guessing this isn't an issue with the video card. I've tried changing the shell in both the registry and the administrative templates options, and neither methods have even tried to start Streetdeck. I could run Centrafuse as the shell flawlessly BTW.

Any suggestions?
                      05 SCION TC

2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
                      1GB RAM
                      500GB 2.5" HDD
                      Running Streetdeck

Comment

Working...
                      X