is there a way in gps?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a way in gps?

in the navigation setting is there a way to have the googlemaps overlay on in hybrid mode by default? have an internet connection on in the car .

not Google Maps, but Microsoft Virtual Earth maps.
    And yes, it's possible. Once you put the navigation module into one of the VE modes, it will stay there until changed again.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

btw why not google maps?
      As you can see here (http://www.jonasson.org/maps/) they both use same size of the square, and since you can use any image (as long as its filename and path are ok) it will show up in SD. It is just a matter of naming. i think it should take an easy script to take care of that.
      Audi A6

Streetdeck
      CPU Prescott 3.2Ghz
      GPU NV 8400GS
      RAM 2 Gb
      HDD SATAII 300Gb
      SC Creative X-Fi

Comment

yes it shouldnt be too hard to use google earth images vs microsoft virtual earth..

but why spend the effort?...
        Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial View Post
          btw why not google maps?
          Because the code is already in place to pull in VE maps.
          How about the Wiki?

Comment

btw why not google maps?
            As you can see here (http://www.jonasson.org/maps/) they both use same size of the square, and since you can use any image (as long as its filename and path are ok) it will show up in SD. It is just a matter of naming. i think it should take an easy script to take care of that.
            Can you write such a script? Many people would find this very useful...you could probably even charge a small amount (like $5 or so) for it...

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

There is almost no difference between the 2... so I dont see why anyone would make the effort of getting the google ones vs the microsoft ones
              Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

Originally posted by strohj View Post
                There is almost no difference between the 2... so I dont see why anyone would make the effort of getting the google ones vs the microsoft ones
                Good point...it's a photo after all.

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Google earth maps are more up to date than Microsoft virtual earth... at least from what I can see.

Example, my house doesn't show up in Virtual Earth, but it's there in Google Earth.

Comment

Google earth is much better than M$ virtual earth. Just check there pictures. they are all from the same location (my home) It is in EU!

Google earth is at least trying. Check this picture (I set it to road only, because the aerial is not even showing in virtual earth). This town is 20 miles from my home and is 50 miles from out capital. Its population is 18 000. In google earth at least the main roads are mapped, but in virtual earth not even these are correct!

So if anyone has the time, i would really apritiate an easy program to use google map data in SD
                    Audi A6

Streetdeck
                    CPU Prescott 3.2Ghz
                    GPU NV 8400GS
                    RAM 2 Gb
                    HDD SATAII 300Gb
                    SC Creative X-Fi

Comment

Google earth is much better than M$ virtual earth.
                      That depends on the area, really. Where I live, the VE sat photos are better than GE.
                      In GE, there is no hi-res sat photo of where I am. It's right on the edge of a hi-res and a green blur.
                      In VE, I can see the house, the truck rusting in the yard, the workshop and everything else on the property.

Frankly, I could care less, since the sat photos are nothing more than a "gee whiz" feature, IMHO.

Also, I believe that the SD team has closer ties to MS than they do with Google. As such, it's natural that they would choose VE integration over GE.
                      How about the Wiki?

Comment

i also dont really care about satellite images, but if there is no map data they are really handy As you can see on screenshots not even main roads are mapped correctly in either of them.
                        As i said before we dont have to choose one of them. We can have both and choose witch one to display.
                        Audi A6

Streetdeck
                        CPU Prescott 3.2Ghz
                        GPU NV 8400GS
                        RAM 2 Gb
                        HDD SATAII 300Gb
                        SC Creative X-Fi

Comment

Working...
                        X