No announcement yet.

Syncing Folders

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncing Folders

I'm trying like h3ll to get my music synced from my home network to my carputer running streetdeck. I have heard there are problems with the wifi sync and was trying to figure out another solution. I came across synctoy (microsoft powertoy) and thought I would give it a shot.

Unfortunately I have yet to get it working like it should. To make things more difficult, my home network is a domain, while my carputer is not joined to that domain (resides in a workgroup).

My main problem is that it seems I will either end up with 2 copies of all my media on the carpc, or else I will have to copy everything right to the _indexed folder. For example, my directory structure is as follows:

D:\Music\_indexed\ Indexed music folder
    D:\Music\unindexed\ Unindexed music folder

When I copy filed from my home network to the carpc, I copy them to the unindexed folder. When streetdeck starts, it searches that folder and moves the files to the indexed folder. If I set synctoy to sync the unindexed folder, then it must re-index the entire home network each time, because there will never be any files there (except maybe duplicates).

The other option would be to sync the _indexed folder to my home network music folder. I am unsure what effects this will have on streetdeck. I also thought about adding the _indexed folder to the Monitored Folders in WMP and just syncing everything to that folder, but again not sure what effects this will have. Can anyone help me out?

i've never used the SD sync. i create a bogus directory for the unindexed music, and use robocopy to copy straight to my indexed folder location (with the following switches: /mir /XC /XN /XO, otherwise you copy unneccessarily). i then periodically tell SD to reindex, or just open WMP and let it do it automatically.