"Error 1906: Failed to Cache..." On install: Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Error 1906: Failed to Cache..." On install: Help

I am a total newbie and have started out by buying StreetDeck from mp3car. So, I receive the disc in the post and click install, only to get this error when the progress bar gets near the end:

"Error 1906. Failed to cache package C:\WINDOWS\Installer/xxxxxxxxx.msi. Error: -2147286775. Contact your support personnel."

The error repeats whether I retry (the xxxxs above change when you retry), use a different computer, install from CD, copy the contents to the hard drive or run the numerous 'fixes' out there on the internet for this install error. The Microsoft developers' site suggests it is due to the installer calling too many .cab files at once.

I am totally stuck and upset I spent $200 on this for nothing . Please help.

Thanks!

unfortunate time to be a new streetdeck customer. I'd try and dispute the charge if you paid for it with a credit card.

Comment

i am in the same boat as you bought SD this week wish i had checked this forum in more detail first! rest assured if sd is going down i want my money back

Comment

Good luck! Try and get your money back if possible.
        2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
        Core Duo CarPC
        CarDomain page

Comment

Originally posted by ForkHandles View Post
          I am a total newbie and have started out by buying StreetDeck from mp3car. So, I receive the disc in the post and click install, only to get this error when the progress bar gets near the end:

"Error 1906. Failed to cache package C:\WINDOWS\Installer/xxxxxxxxx.msi. Error: -2147286775. Contact your support personnel."

The error repeats whether I retry (the xxxxs above change when you retry), use a different computer, install from CD, copy the contents to the hard drive or run the numerous 'fixes' out there on the internet for this install error. The Microsoft developers' site suggests it is due to the installer calling too many .cab files at once.

I am totally stuck and upset I spent $200 on this for nothing . Please help.

Thanks!
          Originally posted by tek818 View Post
          unfortunate time to be a new streetdeck customer. I'd try and dispute the charge if you paid for it with a credit card.
          Despite their lousy customer service, I doubt that SD has been selling defective installer packages...now THAT would have gotten them into trouble quickly.

I bet that there's something regarding the configuration of the machines that you're attempting to install on that's preventing correct installation. Note, I'm not saying you don't have a good point, and likely deserve a refund if you just bought the product and it's effectively non-functional for you, just that since the vast majority of purchasers are able to install the software, I bet it's a machine-specific issue.

Dispute the charge on your credit card. You'll still have a copy of SD that you can try to install, and if all of this is ever resolved to your satisfaction, you can simply repurchase the software at that point.

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Well, the SD team have replied with a new installer. So, rapid support is still available..... I'll just see if it works.

Comment

Wow, sounds great. I really want to buy this software but need the functions that are supposedly forthcoming. I was hoping for some news in the next two weeks since I was hoping to have my Jeep CA legal by then.

Comment

If I remember correctly, there have been blank disks sent out by Streetdeck a while ago right? So maybe they dont test the CD's, and you just got a badly burned disk. It happens no matter what, it just might be bad luck.

Ask for a new disk if you cant get it to work. Also have you been able to install the downloadable demo? If the demo wont install then I am with DP in thinking it is your computers configuration that is no good.
                Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. The demo installed fine.

Back to the subject of support though: The StreetDeck team emailed straight back when I put in a support request and sent me a new installer which worked fine.

So, in summary, StreetDeck support seems to be still up and running.

Comment

Working...
                  X