So what's the deal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what's the deal?

Who is this system being targetted at? I am assuming it is going to be a replacement for things like the AVIC-N2 and stuff. Is it going to be distributed and installed professionally/etc? Has stability also been brought to a point where the average consumer is goign to be able to use this thing and not worry about glitches and stuff?

Also interested in the software. Looks like a VERY slick interface. I am really hoping that the software will be offered for no charge, since I'm sure it's been influenced heavily by the variety of other free/open source projects here. Would be a shame if the people who ran the forums began charging for software. However, I am anxious to get my hands on it.

Looking forward to more info.

Dan

Yep, like the AVIC series, except it's a full blown carPC with all the flexibility that comes with it.

I have been a beta tester for months (of ONLY the software) and I honestly can say that I have used it practically every day and absolutely LOVE this thing called StreetDeck.

(I'm a techie type though and can solve most issues on my own. When you build your own carPC, you gotta be able to do this. I think the reason it comes bundled with hardware is to prevent all the compatibility headaches that all us with "custom" setups are plagued by - updating drivers or swapping parts to get everything running smoothly).

Comment

Originally posted by rcdash
      Yep, like the AVIC series, except it's a full blown carPC with all the flexibility that comes with it.

I have been a beta tester for months (of ONLY the software) and I honestly can say that I have used it practically every day and absolutely LOVE this thing called StreetDeck.

(I'm a techie type though and can solve most issues on my own. When you build your own carPC, you gotta be able to do this. I think the reason it comes bundled with hardware is to prevent all the compatibility headaches that all us with "custom" setups are plagued by - updating drivers or swapping parts to get everything running smoothly).
      Yeah, makes sense. I know I've had my fair share of glitches along the way, but that's part of the "fun" of it.

I truly hope they won't be charging for this...

Dan

Comment

i doubt this software will be offered at no charge.
        Yes we've got a lot of open source stuff here, but this guy has spent over 4 years working on this software. Not only that but its not just a front end....its an all in one package. Unlike RR, FP, CF...this has built in gps and whatnot.
        I imagine there will be discounts on the software though.
        PC Components:
        Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
        My work log

Comment

need another tester??

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity
            need another tester??

I'm available as another tester also......

Peace,

Rafster
            Post # 3000

Comment

Originally posted by Rafster

I'm available as another teter also......

Peace,

Rafster
              PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
              GammaControl v2.4
              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

This thing is nothing out of the ordinary. Not even the same thing as a AVIC-N2.
                The AVIC is a purpose built system. All the parts for the StreetDeck can be bought from the mp3Car store or almost anywhere else. All it is is a pre built package. For some who know little about computers I am sure this is a good way to get into a carputer. For the rest of us it's pretty pointlesss. I would rather pick and choose my components and run the FREE front end of my choosing.

Well the software does look like it has some nice features. I am interested how it will develope and at what price point it will be available for.
                2007 Tahoe
                Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

My Install

Comment

I'm going to enjoy seeing the price of this package come crashing down like a waterfall over the weeks.... eventually it will be the same price as the sum of its parts, because it is targetted to people that are accustomed to buying the parts anyways.

the software looks great but I, for one, wouldn't be investing.

Comment

Lets see how the Streetdeck stacks up against the AVIC-N2:

Audio support: probably better on the car computer as it is upgradable for newer formats, and it also holds much more data.
                    DVD video: Its illegal to watch DVDs while driving. But doesn't look like the AVIC supports navigation.
                    Picture viewer: streetdeck.
                    Radio: AVIC... its got AM support.
                    SAT Radio: The streetdeck can record.
                    Vehicle performance: I think there's an optional system for the AVIC for this.
                    Rearview cam: no biggie. both can support it.
                    Relay card support: streetdeck.
                    Voice: both.
                    Gestures: dunno if AVIC can.
                    File sync: the AVIC doesn't have an HD.
                    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                    GammaControl v2.4
                    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
                      Lets see how the Streetdeck stacks up against the AVIC-N2:

Audio support: probably better on the car computer as it is upgradable for newer formats, and it also holds much more data.
                      DVD video: Its illegal to watch DVDs while driving. But doesn't look like the AVIC supports navigation.
                      Picture viewer: streetdeck.
                      Radio: AVIC... its got AM support.
                      SAT Radio: The streetdeck can record.
                      Vehicle performance: I think there's an optional system for the AVIC for this.
                      Rearview cam: no biggie. both can support it.
                      Relay card support: streetdeck.
                      Voice: both.
                      Gestures: dunno if AVIC can.
                      File sync: the AVIC doesn't have an HD.
                      First of all, the MAIN reason people buy the AVIC is for navigation!!

Anyway...Will people buy this? Yes. However I don't think it will be anywhere near as popular as the AVIC series and stuff. The main difference is that the standalones have their own embedded software meant to do one thing. You can get Windows to be reliable, but accidents DO happen and people in the know aren't going to be too happy with little glitches. Then you have the possibility of the common hard drive failure, overheating (uninformed installer), etc. For these reasons, I think the people buying this are mostly going to be people that want to get into the whole carputer thing without having to individually pick out parts. Unfortunately, I don't think it will do TOO well until the price is lowered. Time will tell, I guess.

I do, however, think the software is pretty slick.

Dan

Comment

I think the bundle is well-priced considering the motorized touchscreen. I would buy it if I didn't already have a touchscreen and carPC installed. After the demo video I saw last Spring, I offered to buy it just to beta test it. But I know what StreetDeck can do and I'm addicted to it.

I can't believe that StreetDeck and mp3Car.com are going to ditch all you guys who already have really good hardware setups though. Just chill, let them get back from CES, and they can detail their plans moving forward...

Disclaimer: Of course, that's just an opinion. Other than being a voluntary beta-tester I have no ties to anyone StreetDeck related. Just keep in mind that I would not expect much of a "software warranty" if the software bombs using hardware/drivers that it's not been tested with. Ok, that being said, I've thrown alot of my own crap at StreetDeck and it manages just fine for the most part (win xp plug and play does work - sometimes ).

Now that I've put up a disclaimer I'm gonna go out on a limb and propose a software only cost that I think is reasonable.

StreetDeck without Mappoint navigation $250-$300
                        - and with Mappoint navigation $400-$450 (extra $150-$200).

That's what I think (IMHO) is *very* reasonable for MSRP (consider that Alk CoPilot costs $199 MSRP just for navigation software alone).

You guys who think it should be free are nuts. This is not just a front end that starts running other software in the background. This is a "from the ground up" integration (using Microsoft components) all-in-one carPC app.

Comment

I can't believe that StreetDeck and mp3Car.com are going to ditch all you guys who already have really good hardware setups though. Just chill, let them get back from CES, and they can detail their plans moving forward...
                          What does this mean? Are you saying we are going to loose mp3car as we know it?
                          2007 Tahoe
                          Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

My Install

Comment

Originally posted by Naamanf
                            What does this mean? Are you saying we are going to loose mp3car as we know it?

What? I have no idea what you mean. I'm just some guy here in sunny north carolina. Have no idea about mp3car...

Comment

I think the bundle is well-priced considering the motorized touchscreen. I would buy it if I didn't already have a touchscreen and carPC installed. After the demo video I saw last Spring, I offered to buy it just to beta test it. But I know what StreetDeck can do and I'm addicted to it.

Disclaimer: Of course, that's just an opinion. Other than being a voluntary beta-tester I have no ties to anyone StreetDeck related. Just keep in mind that I would not expect much of a "software warranty" if the software bombs using hardware/drivers that it's not been tested with. Ok, that being said, I've thrown alot of my own crap at StreetDeck and it manages just fine for the most part (win xp plug and play does work - sometimes ).

Now that I've put up a disclaimer I'm gonna go out on a limb and propose a software only cost that I think is reasonable.

StreetDeck without Mappoint navigation $250-$300
                              - and with Mappoint navigation $400-$450 (extra $150-$200).

That's what I think (IMHO) is *very* reasonable for MSRP (consider that Alk CoPilot costs $199 MSRP just for navigation software alone).

You guys who think it should be free are nuts. This is not just a front end that starts running other software in the background. This is a "from the ground up" integration (using Microsoft components) all-in-one carPC app.
                              No offense, but there's no way in HELL I would pay $300 for the software, let alone $450 for it with nav!!! Especially when there are many fully-featured suites that do the same and more for free. I admit the interface is schnazzy looking and that's what appeals to me, but for no where near that price. $50, maybe.

Further, I think $450 would be an insult to this forum. Though they probably didn't take any code from people on here, it is doubtful that the software would have developed as far as it had without the pioneering efforts of the contributing users here. That almost makes it seem like they used our knowledge and brainstorming, then tried to sell it back to us. Believe me, if they have any 3-digit price figures for the software alone, it's probably not going to go over well at all.

Just my opinion.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X