Replacing 5200rpm 2.5" SATA drive with 7200rpm 3.5" SATA Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing 5200rpm 2.5" SATA drive with 7200rpm 3.5" SATA Drive

Does anyone know if a 7200rpm 3.5" SATA drive will work with the Streetdeck hardware bundle being sold? i.e Can I replace the included 5400rpm 2.5" SATA laptop hardrive with a 7200rpm 3.5" SATA drive? Has anyone tried it and had success?

I tried popping in a number of different 7200rpm drives with no luck. The drive would start spinning up, then spin down, then spin up again...etc etc until the machine would finally turn itself off. I would think the 120watt OPUS power supply should provide plenty of juice for the drive.

You might want to compare the power consumption ratings on the drives and see what the differences are. They should be printed on the drives in amps. If one is significantly more you may have some issues.
    Xenarc 7" USB Touch LCD / 3.06 GHz P4 / 512MB DDR / 250GB 7200RPM 16MB HD /
    DS-ATX 220W / Centrafuse / GPS / XM / 802.11g: 6db / RF Keyboard

Comment

Well, the 3.5" drive is going to draw off the 12v rail while the 2.5" drive will pull off the 5v rail.
      That's a huge issue if the power consumption is anywhere near the max of the 12v rail.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I thought that the 3.5" pulled off of both rails, but I may be mistaken. Either way, it will put alot more draw on the 12V rail and the OPUS will likely not be able to power it.
        Xenarc 7" USB Touch LCD / 3.06 GHz P4 / 512MB DDR / 250GB 7200RPM 16MB HD /
        DS-ATX 220W / Centrafuse / GPS / XM / 802.11g: 6db / RF Keyboard

Comment

7200 RPM 3.5" drives draw a *lot* of power. I haven't put a meter on the streetdeck package, but I wouldn't be surprised if you are overloading the 12V line.

Perhaps I can use this as an excuse to build one and replace my current SP13000-based system. ;-)

-g.

Comment

I use a 3.5 sata western digital 200gb hard drive(7200rpm). It only use 9watts total for this hard drive when writing, and 8.75watts at idle. which means that of the 12v rail you draw 510ma and 575ma on the 5v rail. which = 6.12watts on the 12v rail and 2.875watts on 5v rail. which = 8.995 watts total for both rails.
            Also I use opus 150 psu, and you use 120 opus. you need to find out how much power all your devices add up to in total watts. If its more than 120, it not going to work. opus 120 psu rails are as follows 12v- 3.5amps, 5v- 8amps
            and 3.3v- 8amps. 12v= 42watts, 5v= 40watts, and 3.3v= 26.4 total of 108watts useful watts.
            https://www.facebook.com/hinnantdesign1

Comment

Why not get a 7200 RPM 2.5" HDD?
              1990 Jeep Cherokee
              2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
              2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

the price! the 3.5 westerndigital 7,200rpm 200gb sata dive cost between $90-$115 new. where is the 2.5 mobile drive cost aroung $230+ for a 4200rpm-5400rpm drive. If you have the space, I would go with 3.5 drive. you buy yo for the price of one, and double the space.

Comment

why not put a cheap, small 7200rpm 2.5" drive internal for fast booting and operation, and then put an external USB drive for all your storage?

Comment

cuz then you would be using even more power!
                    Audio: 4 * Rainbow Audio Germs + Infinity Basslink / Case: iStarUSA S3 / CPU: C2D P8700 / MB: Jetway NC64-LF / SC: ASUS Xonar Essence STX / RAM: Crucial 2x1GB 1066MHz / HD: MTRON 2.5" 30GB / DVD: Panasonic UJ-815B / PSU: Opus 180w / LCD: Xenarc 700TSV

Comment

I do custom audio installs, so it better to have a all in one system that is hidden away.so I rather have the larger drive for the money, and one that is reliable. Which the western digital has been proven. for the booting part, when I drive my car I dont need it to boot up eveytime I get out my car. I just set the jumper to 1hr stand by. in the morning it doest matter, the car has to warm up for several minutes anyway. when runing a p4 processor w/hyperthreading which is 800fsb it does take long at all. so it you have the processing power and speed, it doesnt matter the size of harddrive. also I have a special design case, which the suspension is set up for a 3.5 drive.

Comment

Originally posted by WiCKeD 5.9L
                        cuz then you would be using even more power!
                        I guess I never realized there is a lack of power in the mobile platform for car computing I realized there was lack of power in the PSUs out right now, but I didn't think you would run into an issue with multiple PSUs.

Comment

Originally posted by customaudioman
                          the price! the 3.5 westerndigital 7,200rpm 200gb sata dive cost between $90-$115 new. where is the 2.5 mobile drive cost aroung $230+ for a 4200rpm-5400rpm drive. If you have the space, I would go with 3.5 drive. you buy yo for the price of one, and double the space.
                          7200rpm s-ata laptop 2.5" drive is not that expensive.

My setup has 7200rpm 2.5" 8MB cache.
                          SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
                          GPSing - Digital Speedo
                          Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
                          Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

I've recently discovered that my OPUS power supply is bad, so that's why I've been having trouble getting a 7200rpm drive to boot up. Since my initial post, I've actually managed to get the system up and running on a 10,000rpm 3.5" SATA drive. Booting up and resuming from hibernation has been sped up SIGNIFICANTLY since I changed to the 10,000rpm 3.5" SATA drive from the 5400rpm 2.5" drive.

Comment

how did you know the opus was bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X