Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I buy StreetDeck Software (Responses)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I buy StreetDeck Software (Responses)

Originally posted by god_of_cpu
    There will be a Developer Edition released soon for mp3car users though without hardware. We have not established pricing or requirements for it, but it will be marketed only to developers. This means no support for platform specific issues and limited distribution.
    So your selling it to the delveopers to help build your user base up and there is no support for it either ? Sounds like a great plan.

Terran
    My Project Site

From my understanding, they are releasing a developer edition out of courtesy/respect for the mp3car.com type enthusiast. It's kind of like a startup business making it big and then going back and performing discounted work for the people "who helped along the way"/"inspired us" etc. It's a nice gesture, but not their ultimate business model nor a requirement.

If you are interested in developing on top of the StreetDeck platform, and are looking for support with the product(s) you are developing, I would suggest doing what most developers do with the source company: establish a contact, conversation and relationship with the guys over there. This way, if they are interested in a relationship with you, there are understood expectations re: support (eg: an SLA). Not only does this allow them to better serve their serious outside developers, but it avoids them having to take on a blanket statement of "yeah we will support developers on their personal machines (with their personal problems) all over the country who may or may not know a thing about programming (let alone programming in our proprietary development framework) but want to get in on the action because [insert reason why you want to be a developer here] but 1. may not finish the product(s) they are asking us support questions on 2. may be infringing on a future development idea of our own 3. may be infringing on an existing patent/etc of someone else" 4. 100 other reasonable reasons.

Remember, this is StreetDeck & MP3Car, not Intel or MS.

Comment

If you ever sponsor a ride let me know

I work for it. Here is my profile.
      http://www.holyrollerz.org/?view=profile&user=xs10x

First carshow of the year and already best display and 1st place mini truck.
      ````` _____||.\__
      .:.:.:.:.:.:;!_(o)______(o)'i
      TruckputerX - Vortech SuperCharger Vid
      TruckputerX Progress Bar [|||||||||-] 90% Complete [It's never 100% done]

Comment

Originally posted by ccsnet
        Sounds like a great plan.
        Thanks!
        StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
        Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
        The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Are the developer tools available to people who buy systems? I like the system, but I can see myself wanting to tweak the screens for my use.

Comment

Yes, the developer tools already ship free with every system. There is an icon installed under Start | StreetDeck | Tools | Skin Editor (BETA). Unlike the main program though, there is alot of known issues with the Skin Editor, mostly related to scripting. The skin editor was successfully used to create the entire default skin though so you should be able to do all the editing you want to it, you will just have a lot of problems trying to create your own scripted module at this point. If you do purchase a system and would like a to install the development tools on your home PC too, you can let us know and we will tell you what to download to get this setup.

The online update function will automatically update the skin editor too. You have to manually launch the online update through the installed icon though.
            StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
            Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
            The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Originally posted by amthar
              From my understanding, they are releasing a developer edition out of courtesy/respect for the mp3car.com type enthusiast. It's kind of like a startup business making it big and then going back and performing discounted work for the people "who helped along the way"/"inspired us" etc. It's a nice gesture, but not their ultimate business model nor a requirement.

Remember, this is StreetDeck & MP3Car, not Intel or MS.
              I HATE PATRONIZING MARKETING
              08 Lincoln Navigator www.mobiteklink.com

Comment

I'm sorry you hate, hate is one of those emotions that never leads to anything productive. Useful conversations rarely develop when hate is on the table.

Comment

I'm sorry you hate, hate is one of those emotions that never leads to anything productive. Useful conversations rarely develop when hate is on the table.
                  You mean you didnt learn anything from those Honda diesel engine adverts!?

Comment

lol

Comment

god_of_cpu: with all the negative comments about StreetDeck I just thought I would throw it this out.

Congrats on devloping a full system that can be sold as a package. I think it will be great for thoose that are looking for a package that can be easily instaleld and run. I believe that a large majority of the users are misreading your intentions. StreetDeck is by no means a package for the majority of mp3car users, and you are not selling it as one. That is shown by your seperation from mp3car.com and opening streetdeck.com. yes you have a forum here on mp3car.com (so does phoneco) to interest fellow enthusists who might want to help beta or develop for this program.

This is the same as microsoft versus open. you have created a mraketable product that will be sellable to the masses. simple to use and effective (microsoft) the other side is that the free software will still be out there and continue to be developed by the enthusiasts.

Comment

Originally posted by mccdeuce
                        god_of_cpu: with all the negative comments about StreetDeck I just thought I would throw it this out.

Congrats on devloping a full system that can be sold as a package. I think it will be great for thoose that are looking for a package that can be easily instaleld and run. I believe that a large majority of the users are misreading your intentions. StreetDeck is by no means a package for the majority of mp3car users, and you are not selling it as one. That is shown by your seperation from mp3car.com and opening streetdeck.com. yes you have a forum here on mp3car.com (so does phoneco) to interest fellow enthusists who might want to help beta or develop for this program.

This is the same as microsoft versus open. you have created a mraketable product that will be sellable to the masses. simple to use and effective (microsoft) the other side is that the free software will still be out there and continue to be developed by the enthusiasts.
                        encore, encore!

Comment

I guess streetdeck is to carputers as Charmed Quark is to Home Theater PCs

....except not so ugly

you're not just getting a skinnable front end, that can be used to incorporate a bunch of plugins, its a full package
                          PC Components:
                          Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                          My work log

Comment

seems to me that all negative comments are being deleted by the 'moderators'

odd.

James
                            www.digital-car.co.uk - The UK CarPC Forum

Comment

Already been addressed, doesn't seem odd at all. I wish more forums were moderated as well as this one.

Sounds a little one sided to me.. why even have a forum if users can't freely talk...
                              Dual Lilliput's 70NP/C/T
                              Syntax SV266AD KT266A
                              AMD Athlon XP 2000
                              Viking 256MB DDR
                              D-Link Wireless 802.11B
                              Seagate 120GB
                              OrbitMicro 250W DC/DC converter
                              SII Wireless Audio Link
                              Digimoto OBD-II
                              Earthmate GPS
                              BU-303 USB GPS
                              D-Link Bluetooth