CPU usage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU usage?

Running 1.0.4.7 and noticing that the CPU gets pegged (or close to) consistently when running SD. If I run it in dev. env. (skin editor) it comes close to unusable (mouse jerky, etc.). I have a P4 with 512MB of RAM.

Anyone else encounter this? What should expected CPU usage be on the average? 92-99% is what I've observed (just running SD, not dev.) over the last 10 minutes...just playing music, sitting on the main screen. It's using around 130MB of RAM which I'm less concerned about.

TIA,
    Per

sorry...thought i had looked at previous threads. from the faq: frame rate is the key in my case. reducing from 100fps to 45fps brings the cpu down to 50% on average.

Comment

spoke to soon...it's back up while at 45fps, 30, 20, or 15. It takes about 30 seoconds after start to do so. i have a 32MB AGP card installed, fyi. thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by S4Per
        spoke to soon...it's back up while at 45fps, 30, 20, or 15. It takes about 30 seoconds after start to do so. i have a 32MB AGP card installed, fyi. thoughts?
        Download this software and look up which process uses which resources:

Process Explorer

Also, you might wanna look up if you missing any drivers on the video card, chipset etc, or you have any conflicts in you hardware settings.
        http://incarCPU.com

Comment

process explorer doesn't help much...toggling on the bottom pane pretty much freezes up the whole system (since it now too wants to peg the CPU).

I can start the program and it'll hover around 30% most of the time. If I don't do ANYTHING (i.e. not even start music) it'll stay there. As soon as I do SOMETHING, it'll spike to 97% and hang there forever.

If music was playing before, and I exit and reopen the program, it'll spike within a minute.

If I stop music and exit and reopen, it'll start normal (20-40%) and stay there....forever. (I haven't played around with activating or not activating other modules).

Unfortunately, it's not 100% consistent, or there are too many variables that I can't keep track of (i.e. if music was stopped, i exit and reopen, and after a few minutes start playing music, things - at this second - seem fine). That's all I know

I welcome all ideas but also would like to know from GOC - - - what steps should I take to troubleshoot this further?

TIA,
          Per

Comment

Does it occur if you run with -NoDelayComp and / or -NoDelayLoad?
            StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
            Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
            The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

I've tried all combinations with still the same result.

FYI: I've launched SD 3 times today, started a song, and walked away..I come back 30 minutes later and it's gone (no error message, etc.). I'm attaching a couple of the logs..can you take a look GOC and see if things look normal?

I now started it off again with -verbose thinking something might help here...I'll post that later.

Thanks,
              Per

Comment

I'm having the same problem and this just started with the 1.0.4.7 release. When I start StreetDeck my CPU is about 30% when using the 45fps setting. A couple of minutes later I will notice the CPU peg 100% and stay that way until I close the program. I also notice that StreetDeck is constantly consuming more memory, memory leak? I have 512mb and have seen memory utilization rise to the 800mb range before the program will crash. Then when I restart StreetDeck sometimes I've lost my settings and have to go through the setup wizard.

FYI, the 1.0.4.7 release did fix my bluetooth GPS "north" problem. I'm using a Holux GPSlim236.

Comment

...just caught it as it crashed...it was sitting idle for a while, i went to select a song, and the window disappeared and the process crashed silently (I'm guessing my actions were just coincidence).

verbose log attached. let me know what you think GOC.

Comment

It seems to be failing to load some textures and since it fails, it keeps trying to load them over and over again. This would explain the high processor usage, but the failed textures should of been logged in the other files too which they weren't...

Do you still have this problem if you load the default skin?

And do the failed files like D:\\StreetDeck\UI\Skins\Silver S4\BUTTON.SCROLL_UP.PRESSED.PNG exist?
                    The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

I reinstalled 1.0.4.6 and the problem is resolved. It was simply unusable due to the crashing, etc., and I couldn't find a pattern. I'll deal with the GPS rotating map problem of 1.0.4.6 for now.

FYI, I started testing StreetDeck with 1.0.4.6 and have only used the default skin, then registered with no problem. When I updated to 1.0.4.7 and my trouble began. Let me know if you would like any logs or tests. It seems to be Nav related for me but ran with -NoNav and I still had the same CPU and memory problems.

I definately enjoy StreetDeck and can live with some bugs because it is, in my opinion, the cleanest frontend available.

Comment

hmm...

the files were there, and i do get the same thing happening with the default skin. each time it happens, it happens about 5 minutes into the program being started. Log for default skin running attached.

should i try the .6 release to see if it's release dependent?

thanks,
                        Per

Comment

where can i get the .6 release? can't seem to find it anymore on my HD or online. based on oxman's results, i'd very much like to give that a shot at this point.

TIA,
                          Per

Comment

Originally posted by S4Per
                            hmm...

the files were there, and i do get the same thing happening with the default skin. each time it happens, it happens about 5 minutes into the program being started. Log for default skin running attached.

should i try the .6 release to see if it's release dependent?

thanks,
                            Per
                            I don't think the skin warnings are related now. I've fixed the problem that caused them though.

I've also been able to duplicate the processor usage problem. I have to do some more testing, but I should have another patch up this weekend.

Comment

goc...pm'ed you. thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X