Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

xmpcr and gps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • xmpcr and gps

    I have had Streetdeck running great and I am on the latest update. This weekend I added XMPCR and got it running. When I have the XM plugged it the GPS says no satellites. As soon as I unplug the XM the GPS is fine again. GPS is on com3 and XM on 5. Anybody have any ideas or tips I should try?

  • #2
    Make sure that Com 3 and Com 5 are not sharing the same IRQ. If they are, see if you can switch up Com 5's IRQ as it is virtual. If not, place one on an even Com port and the other on an odd com port. Should fix ya up.

    Troy
    Done!

    If you're into fishing, checkout my website! http://www.pennsylvaniaanglers.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, I tried switching up the com ports and no luck. I tried every port up to 99. I don't know how to switch IRQ settings in XP and I have no access to the bios right now. I updated the driver for virtual com port and still no luck. When I restart SD, Nav works as advertised until I make the "s" gesture and connect to the XM. After that the nav works for about 5 minutes then the arrow starts to wander and then after a total of about 10 minutes I lose the satellites. Think antenna placement could have anything to do with it? I am just throwing out ideas before I resort to the blunt force trama tactics. Any more ideas?

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't believe the antenna would cause such a problem, but who knows.. It sounds more like a USB bus problem.. Are you on a hub, powered/not?, can you switch to a direct port? I had a a similar problem with a gps and usb2serial adaptor on a non-powered hub, it made both apps very "unstable"..

        PS: Im assuming everything you have is USB driven, the USB adaptors I have dont show an IRQ in the resources used..

        Comment


        • #5
          Both devices are plugged directly to the board.. no hubs.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm still leaning to the IRQ as the problem. If you go into your device manager list, select either device and go to the resources tab and see what IRQ is being used and see if they are the same. Depending on your machine and how plug and play is treating your devices, you may be able to change the IRQ in that resource tab. Worth a stab?

            Also, is there anything attached to your com ports currently?

            Troy
            Done!

            If you're into fishing, checkout my website! http://www.pennsylvaniaanglers.com

            Comment


            • #7
              When I select the com port in device manager for the XM and GPS there is no resources tab to select, only the option to change the com port (which I have tried every combo I could). When I view device manager by resource, under the IRQ menu there is setting for com1 and com2 but nothing else. At least nothing else I can tie to the XM or GPS. The only other com port I have is com4 which is my phone so I can get internet on the road. Will I be able to set the IRQ's in the Bios? And if I can then will a USB keyboard work to get into the Bios or will I need a regular connection. The hammer is getting closer to the computer... help!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Do you have anything attached to Com 1 or 2? Sounds like that could be the conflict. PNP is assigning ports above 1 and 2 but as long as you have those ports enabled the resources are in use. If you do not have anything connected to 1 or 2, disable them and then check your results. The best method to disable is via the bios but if you do not have a keyboard disabling them through your device manager "should" work. BTW, attaching a keyboard will not cause any issues.

                Let me know how you make out and umm, put the hammer down!

                Troy
                Done!

                If you're into fishing, checkout my website! http://www.pennsylvaniaanglers.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well I was able to disable them in XP and then actually assigned com1 to Xm and 2 to GPS so I know the IRQ's are different.. no luck. When I start SD nav is fine until I connect to XM. I am out of ideas.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    With that, so am I. I would still be tempted to try and disable them in the bios but at the same time I am wondering about that phone on Com 4.

                    I know I keep hammering the IRQ and the hardware but it is because I am having a difficult time relating the problem to any specific software. Are you able to run any other software for XM and GPS at the same time? If you could then I would definitely lean towards SD as having the problem but the problem is just so typical of IRQ conflicts.

                    Troy
                    Done!

                    If you're into fishing, checkout my website! http://www.pennsylvaniaanglers.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well for those interested I finally everything working. I ended up downloading and the drivers I could find for the GPS and sure enough, the oldest driver worked like a champ. For the record the driver dated 2001 for the BU 303 works with XMPCR. Troy thanks for all the help and ideas. I guess I can put the hammer down and put my car back together now!!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X