Backup camera auto switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup camera auto switch

How chould i make SD auto switch to the backup camera when i put the car in reverse?

I figure tap into the backup lights for trigger but how could i interface that with the computer and make sd switch to camera and when its done go back to where it was?
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
    2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

You could write a scripted overlay that would communicate with a COM object that would interface to your trigger hardware. When a trigger event happens, you would just save the current module name then send the eFunctionCamera1 and switch back to what the current module was after the camera finishes.
    StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
    Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
    The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Input module???? who knows of input modules that will interface directly with the typical 12 VDC system in a typical car???? Wondering...... Is there a company and/or maybe someone from MP3Car.com that knows how to interface switched and on/off signals from a car to the PC???? GOC, do you have any examples with hardware that you've used to create what you've suggested??? I would like to try this out.

Comment

I could probably just use a relay to close 2 pins on a serial connection and have software interpert that.
        1990 Jeep Cherokee
        2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
        2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by fiveslo View Post
          Input module???? who knows of input modules that will interface directly with the typical 12 VDC system in a typical car???? Wondering...... Is there a company and/or maybe someone from MP3Car.com that knows how to interface switched and on/off signals from a car to the PC???? GOC, do you have any examples with hardware that you've used to create what you've suggested??? I would like to try this out.
          Phidgets can do this.
          StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
          Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
          The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

your computer will never be booted up in time to make the camera switch when you've just started the car and are getting ready to back up. It needs to be independent of the PC and that's why I think this functionality in SD will always be less than what you really want out of a backup camera. that's why i have the Xenarc which will auto switch based on powering the additional input which will work no matter what the state of the computer.

my 2 cents.

Comment

Not really, for me i use standby and the system is always up before i even have it in reverse... usualy takes 2-5 sec to be playing XM.
              1990 Jeep Cherokee
              2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
              2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by S4Per View Post
                your computer will never be booted up in time to make the camera switch when you've just started the car and are getting ready to back up. It needs to be independent of the PC and that's why I think this functionality in SD will always be less than what you really want out of a backup camera. that's why i have the Xenarc which will auto switch based on powering the additional input which will work no matter what the state of the computer.
                my 2 cents.
                Do you think this will also work/apply to the Lilliput 629. Have the camera source always fed to one of the aux video inputs of the display and the camera will be triggered on by a simple automotive 12V relay for powering on?

John
                http://gickr.com/results4/anim_5055e...a2b3b197c9.gif
                1990 RHD JDM 300ZX TT 2+2 5sp T-Top
                491RWHP / 18psi / 94 octane

Comment

afaik, the xenarc is the only one that does this natively.

cool webdog...i tried standby for a while, but it just drains my battery too quickly. what's your experience been with amount of time in standby, battery issues (or not)? may need to revisit this.

Comment

I havent had any issues with battery dieing on me.

I have left it for over a week once and it started right up.
                    1990 Jeep Cherokee
                    2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                    2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

s4per, natively? what do you mean? oh btw, besides the reverse camera that mp3car.com is selling, is there any other out there? there are some on ebay which i am not sure if they are really "reverse camera" or just standard camera...

Comment

Use OBDII ?

Originally posted by WebDog View Post
                        How chould i make SD auto switch to the backup camera when i put the car in reverse?

I figure tap into the backup lights for trigger but how could i interface that with the computer and make sd switch to camera and when its done go back to where it was?
                        I am not sure, but if the OBD II inteface provides the info that you put the car in reverse, you could use that.

Comment

GPS location could.

Going North... suddenly since you are in reverse going South. There you go

Comment

Originally posted by msreyes View Post
                            GPS location could.

Going North... suddenly since you are in reverse going South. There you go
                            What about sitting still, then going south? What then? Now I start going North, am I reversing, or going forward?
                            MII-12000 / Ampie / Lilliput 7" / BU-355 / PicoPSU / uSDC
                            Currently: Enjoying the setup, but always contemplating my next move...

Comment

Good point.... guess you would not be going forward then SUDDENLY in reverse. Well, my idea isn't going to work now is it.. There you go

Comment

Working...
                              X