Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and My first featur request! ADS Instant FM Music RDX-155

Hello All!

It is a pleasure to be joining this forum, and to have invested in such a great product that is supported like no other i have seen!

As my first action of contribution and request, I would like to help add support for the ADS Instant FM music USB FM Radio. Model RDX-155

http://www.cwol.com/usb/ads-instant-fm-music.htm

It actually appears that partial support may already be there... After setting the options for radio to faker mode and to setting up my sound card, etc i am able to access the tuning controls.

I am happy to provide support and assistance in any way possible.

How should we start?

Originally posted by gazorp View Post
    How should we start?
    Connect it to your laptop and see if it's any good in a car.

Pim

Comment

It works great with my laptop.

It appears all that needs to be done is to passs the wav audio from the usb tuner to the sound card.

Also, i noticed that my wav output somehoe gets muted by streetdeck when attempting to use the radio function.

2 People have sent PM's, so it seems like this feature is desired by more people than just me.

What is your input God of CPU?

Comment

Yea.. I have noticed that the instant I try to use the radio Streedeck instally reduces the input line to Zero.. Not very useful!

Comment

I would like to try that radio out with streetdeck since it has and external antenna input

Comment

Please help us God_of_CPU!

Comment

fm - does it work while moving?

Hi,

cto of streetdeck/mp3car here.

can one of you test whether it works at high speed on the freeway?

here's the test:

1) hook it up to the FM antenna of the car
              2) drive fast (legally and observing all trafic safety rules)
              3) tune a bunch of stations. compare it to your existing radio

the needed feature is "multipath rejection" or something like that - many of these desktop pc radios are designed to pick up a signal great if they're sitting still but not on the go.

that will help us determine whether we want to put development resources into it.

-damien
              Damien Stolarz
              Co-Founder, StreetDeck
              Author, Car PC Hacks
              http://www.streetdeck.com

Comment

I would be happy to preform this test today and report back tonight or tomorrow!

It is very nice to meet you!

Thanks for the reply!

Originally posted by carbot View Post
                Hi,

cto of streetdeck/mp3car here.

can one of you test whether it works at high speed on the freeway?

here's the test:

1) hook it up to the FM antenna of the car
                2) drive fast (legally and observing all trafic safety rules)
                3) tune a bunch of stations. compare it to your existing radio

the needed feature is "multipath rejection" or something like that - many of these desktop pc radios are designed to pick up a signal great if they're sitting still but not on the go.

that will help us determine whether we want to put development resources into it.

-damien

Comment

I think ADS is using the Silicon Labs FM/USB components that are in their reference design. They may be just re-branding the actual SiLabs unit itself.

Here's the tech specs on the Si470x FM tuner component:

PDF

SiLabs sells this direct for $35. If this is something that works well in SD and MP3Car wanted to sell them, (there is no point in paying the extra $20-30 for shrinkwrap and the ADS "Value Add" software since tuning would be from within SD) I'm sure they would be cheaper in bulk. It also supports both US RBDS and Euro RDS data decoding standards.

Comment

Originally posted by StaggRLee View Post
                    I think ADS is using the Silicon Labs FM/USB components that are in their reference design. They may be just re-branding the actual SiLabs unit itself.

Here's the tech specs on the Si470x FM tuner component:

PDF

SiLabs sells this direct for $35. If this is something that works well in SD and MP3Car wanted to sell them, (there is no point in paying the extra $20-30 for shrinkwrap and the ADS "Value Add" software since tuning would be from within SD) I'm sure they would be cheaper in bulk. It also supports both US RBDS and Euro RDS data decoding standards.

I took mine apart to verify and this is exactly correct! I bought mine for $35 from here: http://www.compuplus.com/i-ADS-Techn...k=searchViewed

I did the drive test and am happy to report that there was no problems when driving at high speed. I tested using both the incuded retractable antenna and my car antenna. Both results were very similar and my 3 stations were loud and clear.

Please let me know how i can be of assistance in further development!

Comment

Cool. Thanks for confirming that.

Maybe this will work out for SD/MP3Car. SiLabs makes the source code for the firmware and the application GUI available as well.

Comment

does the reference unit above come with an external FM port? Is that the bump on the top left?
                        Damien Stolarz
                        Co-Founder, StreetDeck
                        Author, Car PC Hacks

Comment

thanks!

Originally posted by gazorp View Post
                          I took mine apart to verify and this is exactly correct! I bought mine for $35 from here: http://www.compuplus.com/i-ADS-Techn...k=searchViewed

I did the drive test and am happy to report that there was no problems when driving at high speed. I tested using both the incuded retractable antenna and my car antenna. Both results were very similar and my 3 stations were loud and clear.

Please let me know how i can be of assistance in further development!

Ok this is good - my other question is, do you know anywhere we can source the adapter that would let this plug into a conventional (automotive) antenna?
                          Damien Stolarz
                          Co-Founder, StreetDeck
                          Author, Car PC Hacks

Comment

Originally posted by carbot View Post
                            Ok this is good - my other question is, do you know anywhere we can source the adapter that would let this plug into a conventional (automotive) antenna?
                            If you buy the ADS model, you can splice something together using the included retractable antenna and the appropriate adapter to fit your car.

I personally cut the adapter of my old stock unit and soldered that to the retractable cord. It works like a charm.

Thanks for being such a great support type of company! It feels great to know that my investment in streetdeck was the right decision by far!

Comment

So yeahhhhh.....your not gonna wanna be splicing and just sodering any old where when it comes to your antenna. You want to make sure the receiver and antenna have same characteristic impediance (you match loads) for optimal reception. Just splicing the wires adds an ungodly amount of complications. Radio Shack im sure will sell some converters.
                              Engineering....Where the unknowing teach the unwilling the unnecessary.

Comment

Working...
                              X