mac mini

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mac mini

i'm thinking an intel mac mini with XP installed might make the perfect car computer for streetdeck. anyone tried this?

anyone have any reasons this might not work?

mac mini

im going to be installing this tommorow in my explorer. if it works well, its going in the AMG hummer.

Comment

Hey, when I do my install, I will be using the Mini. It seems like kind of a waste to have the mini and not use OSX. I do understand it is a nice small box though. Makes it perfect for the car! Anyway, it should work fine. I believe it has all the drivers for windows. Don't know if certain things like optical out will work. You can go here: http://download.onmac.net/ for some software options. Good luck!

Comment

why go through the trouble when you can get an Aopen minipc which is pretty much the same exact size?

Comment

We used an apple mini for one of the cars we had at SEMA. The only problem with the Apple mini is the line input doesn't route audio to the speaker outputs so you can't use it for XM radio. Other then that it makes a good platform.
          StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
          Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
          The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Originally posted by RickCain View Post
            why go through the trouble when you can get an Aopen minipc which is pretty much the same exact size?
            hey rick, since you have one, does the aopen have both front and rear audio out as well as a line in? from the website it looks like the rear out is also the line in.

otherwise this looks like a good box for me.

Comment

My Project (see it in Worklogs, 2002 Carrera) is based on exactly this setup. Mac Mini + XP + StreetDeck. The Carnetix PS is very sweet. Sofar the Audio "Input Monitor" issue is a problem (i'm going to use Sirius). I'm pretty sure this can be solved by hacking the .INF for the setup (it's based on the Sigmatel Chipset which often needs hacking). Sofar I have everthing working on the bench but the input monitor.

Comment

ok, I'm going to start putting some of this together. is there a faq somewhere for all the hardware bits you need? I see a thread about all the software requirements, but what about DC power, fm tuner, GPS and all that?

Comment

ahh crap that expains that, what about using an iMic USB input? Think that would solve this I have 2 iMics anyhow I'll give it shot tonight and report back.

Originally posted by god_of_cpu View Post
                  We used an apple mini for one of the cars we had at SEMA. The only problem with the Apple mini is the line input doesn't route audio to the speaker outputs so you can't use it for XM radio. Other then that it makes a good platform.
                  --
                  2001 Ford F-150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4, Supercharged

Comment

nope Streetdeck gets all messed up, I select iMac and it still gives me the outputs form the Sigmatel...I guess I just but a mac mini for no reason at all, that totally blows....

Man I wish I could swear right now.

Originally posted by TheSin View Post
                    ahh crap that expains that, what about using an iMic USB input? Think that would solve this I have 2 iMics anyhow I'll give it shot tonight and report back.
                    --

Comment

Okay after hours of trying everything i coudl think of, I found that if I open the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, and I click on teh test hardware button, then hit next and next, I will loop from input to output, there must be away to reproduce this??? Anyone with the know how can you help? I know on the Mac side there is a program called LineIn that does the same thing and it's how I use the XM PCR1000 on OS X. I'd even be willing to offer a bounty for a solution.
                      --

Comment

If you use the command line -RouteXMAudio it should digitally route the audio input and work for the mac mini.
                        StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                        Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                        The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Sweet you are a god!!! Will this work with the "HQCT : (High Quality Car Tuner) FM Radio" from the mp3car store too? Just want to know before I place my order...Thank you soooo much you have totally made my year

Originally posted by god_of_cpu View Post
                          If you use the command line -RouteXMAudio it should digitally route the audio input and work for the mac mini.
                          --

Comment

I ran a MacMini for a few months (in XP). Worked very well.

I did end up switching to an AOpen MiniPC for multi-monitor support and multiple (configurable) audio ports (adjustable volume for front, back, and sub channels). Also, I wanted to put the macmini back in my living room as my HTPC... love front row!

If it wasn't for the multi-monitor or multiple audio ports, I would have continued running the mac mini (and Carnetix P1900).
                            2008 Subaru Impreza WRX-STI
                            Pioneer AVIC-D3 <-- poooor comparison to StreetDeck!!!

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                            Stock... for now

SOLD - 04 WRX - In-Dash Touchscreen, MacMini, StreetDeck ver 1

Comment

you still using the Carnetix P1900? is is V2.2?

Did you have FM radio from mp3car running on it?

Thanks for the input, so far it's running really well and as for multi monitor I'm thinking of running a USB vid for the rear display.

Originally posted by BlueF View Post
                              I ran a MacMini for a few months (in XP). Worked very well.

I did end up switching to an AOpen MiniPC for multi-monitor support and multiple (configurable) audio ports (adjustable volume for front, back, and sub channels). Also, I wanted to put the macmini back in my living room as my HTPC... love front row!

If it wasn't for the multi-monitor or multiple audio ports, I would have continued running the mac mini (and Carnetix P1900).
                              --

Comment

Working...
                              X