Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streetdeck new mapping engine

Hi,
    I heard that streetdeck is looking to replace mappoint with a new mapping engine. I donot know the scope of this change, but if SD is looking to change maybe you should hear what the users / potential users have to say in terms of preferences. - Just a suggestion.

So GOD of CPU can you list all your options on a poll here and get our feedback to see what would be the best software.

Personally I like iGuidance, but that might not be the case with other.

Thanks

I just bought SD and whenever I get something new im all up for development in the right direction.

Comment

This is still being discussed and all of the logistics are being worked out internally.

Thanks to this forum, we have been able to take note of users requests and comments on the various engines that are out there now from various previous threads and comments within other threads.
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I'd recommend taking a look at Pepperwhite: http://pepperwhite.com

Awesomeness:
        - The entire USA dataset comes on one CD.
        - Shipped as a royalty free ActiveX.
        - Is FAST.
        - Able to use free or modified data (good for commercial users like myself).
        - HUGE API (supports map rotation unlike MP 2006).
        - Free evaluation.

Only downside is it doesn't have built-in routing/navigation functionality (although there might be another version that has this included).

Comment

We are well aware of most of the limitations of our navigation engine, if we do switch from mappoint, it won't be for another off the shelf consumer product as that is just switching one set of limitations for another. We are considering many different options though.
          StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
          Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
          The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Originally posted by god_of_cpu View Post
            We are well aware of most of the limitations of our navigation engine, if we do switch from mappoint, it won't be for another off the shelf consumer product as that is just switching one set of limitations for another. We are considering many different options though.
            Hmmm...that sounds like a reason to delay purchase for a while. I'd hate to buy the 'Lite download now to use with my Mappoint data only to find a newer version of SD released that doesn't support Mappoint anymore and doesn't offer an upgrade path from the Lite version. Then, I'd be stuck with the old version of the software and essentially no way to get the improved version but to pay full price for the "new" version...essentially paying for the SD software twice (and the map data once).

I realize this is little more than discussion about a possible future direction for SD at this point, but it still gives me pause.

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by parksgm View Post
              that sounds like a reason to delay purchase for a while. I'd hate to buy the 'Lite download now to use with my Mappoint data only to find a newer version of SD released that doesn't support Mappoint anymore
              We will find some way to take care of our loyal users. Upgrades will be very affordable, and less than a map update for a factory installed nav system.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiberoptic View Post
                We will find some way to take care of our loyal users. Upgrades will be very affordable, and less than a map update for a factory installed nav system.
                Fine, fine. :-)

/grumblings.

Thanks for the info.

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Parksgm's concern is also my main reason to not purchase SD next time !!
                  Although I want to

Originally posted by Fiberoptic View Post
                  Does this mean I can fearless buy SD lite now, and there will be an affordable update possibility to SD europe full some time??

Could somebody confirm or rebut this, please !

Thanks a million,

Roland

Comment

SD should set a date after which al purchases will get a free upgrade to the new engine. just like all PC manufacturers did for Vista. The reason I say this is because i just bought SD 2 weeks ago and I just dont want to spend any extra so sooon.

Also since mappoint has soo many bugs and its not going to be supported anymore it should be taken into consideration for recent buyers, as we were not aware of this during the trial.

Anyways this is not the reason for this thread it was to help SD decide on a product/features in the new mapping engine, but it looks like they dont need our help and have everything under control.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rxh81 View Post
                      Does this mean I can fearless buy SD lite now, and there will be an affordable update possibility to SD europe full some time??

Could somebody confirm or rebut this, please !

Thanks a million,

Roland
                      Yes. If you purchase the lite version, you will be able to upgrade to the European version in the future at a very affordable upgrade price. We want to take care of our loyal customers and as such we will provide an upgrade path.
                      Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by rumy View Post
                        SD should set a date after which al purchases will get a free upgrade to the new engine. just like all PC manufacturers did for Vista. The reason I say this is because i just bought SD 2 weeks ago and I just dont want to spend any extra so sooon.
                        The new engine isn't going to be coming out any time in the super near future. There is a LOT of development that has to be put into something like this. If we had 10 developers sitting in the wings, just waiting for work, it would be a different story. One thing that makes StreetDeck software so good is that Chuck doesn't let just anything fly for the sake of getting a release out. He, as well as the rest of us, want to make sure that things are 100% before we release anything. As such, developing a new map engine will take time.

Also since mappoint has soo many bugs and its not going to be supported anymore it should be taken into consideration for recent buyers, as we were not aware of this during the trial.
                        No one has said that it hasn't been considered.
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

just bought sd and mappoint. had to realize that navigation is completely crap. and now i have to buy another sd and navigation api and cards?!?!

well, at least i am accredited that my concerns i raised were valid (although i never got a response from mp3car:-(

don't understand my wrong. i am happy that you realized you have to replace mappoint. if this is done in the near future and map prices are affordable (don't forget to check for europe as well) i am willing to wait and pay. still love my carpc!

(now mp3car just needs to realize that the current music navigation is useless and needs to be re-engineered as well).

Comment

upspace. Please realize that MP3Car and StreetDeck are different entities.

When you refer to MP3Car in your post, you should be refering to StreetDeck. MP3Car runs this forum and the store. The StreetDeck software is seperate and just happens to be sold through the store on this site.

We have realized the short comings of MapPoint, however, a solution is not cut and paste.
                            Jan Bennett

Comment

Why not just make the navigation part of SD a plugable component?
                              Then SD could keep being updated and users could choose what navigation package they want to use, old MapPoint or new one.

Comment

Working...
                              X