No announcement yet.

MapPoint North America can't run because it is not registered on your system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MapPoint North America can't run because it is not registered on your system

I recently plugged in a USB GPS reciever to my system. Previously, Streetdeck was running great. I have the GPS reciever working well with MS Streets and Trips 2006. When I go to the Navigation screen, I get the message "Navigation failed to initailize properly. Is the navigation data installed?".

I reinstalled Streetdeck. This did not help. I uninstalled it then deleted the program files/streetdeck directory and the My documents/Streetdeck directories then reinstalled. I still get the problem.

My verbose log looks like this (the relevant section):

INFO: CAppData::Exec - Executing Module CNAVFullScreenModule
    INFO: MessageBox:
    Initializing...
    Please wait while navigation initializes.
    INFO: CNAVController::InitializeMappoint_Help - Creating North American Map.
    WARNING: CNAVController::InitializeMappoint_Help - NewMap - MapPoint North America can't run because it is not registered on your system, or it can't be found. Install MapPoint North America and try again.
    INFO: CNAVController::InitializeMappoint_Help - Trying to create European Map.
    WARNING: CNAVController::InitializeMappoint_Help - NewMap (Europe) - MapPoint Europe can't run because it is not registered on your system, or it can't be found. Install MapPoint Europe and try again.
    Navigation Failed!
    Navigation failed to initailize properly. Is the navigation data installed?

I did all the installs with the install disk. I did an online upgrade afterwards. I have a full licensed version of the product.

Do I have to do an uninstall of MapPoint? I don't have MapPoint - the product. I just have the MapPoint from the full Streetdeck install disk.

I saw some chatter in prior threads that indicated that I needed to click on a MapPoint EULA to register the thing. I never saw this screen during the install. Is there a way to bring this screen up now that I am installed?

Does a complete uninstall require me to destroy entries in the registry? I hope not. If so, what entries?

I just really want to see my maps!

Thanks for the help!
    Andy
    55 Buick Carputer - http://www.55buick.com/Carputer/carputer.htm

I'd uninstall MapPoint from your system, delete any folders left behind by that and Streetdeck, and try again. Also, not entirely sure on the path, but I think it's "C:\Program Files\StreetDeck\Maps\Data", and there should be a rather large file there that links to the MapPoint DB. If MP isn't installed properly, it won't be in that folder.
    Yes, that really IS my car, sad, though it may be, I'm putting a computer in it.

Planning 80%
    Funding 30%

Comment

This problem is normally seen when a version of mappoint or Streets and Trips was installed prior to installing StreetDeck. The mappoint and Streets and Trips installers don't always seem to do a complete uninstall and sometimes prevent the StreetDeck installer from installing navigation properly. The easiest solution is to use system restore in windows to restore your computer to a time before either mappoint or Streets and Trips was installed. Then install StreetDeck.
      StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
      Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
      The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

So, there is no way to just uninstal StreetDeck, MapPoint, and Streets and Trips, and start over?

I'm asking this because I did almost every permutation of install/uninstall today and still have the problem. What I have not done is:

1. Open Add or Remove Programs and remove MapPoint.
        2. Open Add or Remove Programs and remove Streets and Trips.
        3. Run StreetDeck uninstall.
        4. Physically remove all StreetDeck directorys in both program files and My Documents.

[I have done all this except for step 2.]

If I do the above, do I have a fighting chance to get this running?

I'm a bit afraid of doing the system restore because I have my drivers actually working...

Did I miss something about the EULA for MapPoint? I still have not seen this pop up - even when I went to add and remove programs and did a reinstall of just the MapPoint.

At least I have two options left - do my complete list as per above and to do the system restore (and probably my complete list).

The good news here is that I am becoming pretty good at StreetDeck installs. I think I have done 5 in the last 24 hours.
        Andy

Comment

uninstall streetdeck and remove all folders then try again.
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

My plan is to uninstall MS S&T, then all of SD, then delete all folders. Then try again. I can't do this now as I have ended up on a biz trip this week! [I am not brave enough to drive the Buick to San Francisco.] I'll be itching to do this on the weekend when I am home again.

If this fails, I will do as GOCPU suggests and role things back.

I really appreciate the tips! Thanks.

I'll update this post next weekend with my results.
            Andy

Comment

No joy. I could not get it to work. I uninstalled S&T, StreetDeck, MapPoint, and deleted the StreetDeck directories. I installed again and got the same problem.

I then ran through the exact procedure and used regedit to search through the registry and deleted any StreetDeck entries. This also failed.

I am wondering if there is a way to just install the MapPoint data or to find a more specific error code to see why StreetDeck is thinking that there is no MapPoint data. I know there is MapPoint data since there are large files in the MapPoint Map directory.

I don't want to reinstall windows since I do not have a non-USB CD/DVD drive hooked up to the machine anymore and the machine is bolted into my trunk.
              Andy

Comment

Is there an executable for MapPoint that comes with the SD disc that I could run to verify that MapPoint is installed correctly?
                Andy

Comment

[QUOTE=aforget;1020353]No joy. QUOTE]

Try this system restore that god of cpu recomended or if you want to get crazy, you can start deleting all the mappoint components from the registry. there should be about 10-15 entries. You will then need to reinstall. This worked for me once, but it was not recomended by mr. Cpu.

Comment

I can't do the system restore. For some reason the restore does not go back long enough. Maybe the application of a major service pack or something?

I am stuck with registry edits, a windows re-install (painful), or some sort of new install from StreetDeck that can overcome these issues. Or some sort of magic. Magic could come in the form of a standalone mappoint install.

I am fishing here...

I want my StreetDeck!
                    Andy

Comment

Originally posted by aforget View Post
                      Is there an executable for MapPoint that comes with the SD disc that I could run to verify that MapPoint is installed correctly?
                      Yep, there is. I found it in StreetDeckDVD:/MSMap/Pfiles/MapPoint.exe.

I copied it to C:/Program Files/StreetDeck/Maps. Then I ran it. It ran just fine. I have maps in MapPoint. I had my hopes up and went to check if Navigation in StreetDeck would now magically work.

It did not.

I still get his in the logs:

INFO: CAppData::Exec - Executing Module CNAVFullScreenModule
                      Initializing...
                      Please wait while navigation initializes.
                      INFO: CNAVController::InitializeMappoint_Help - Creating North American Map.
                      WARNING: CNAVController::InitializeMappoint_Help - NewMap - MapPoint North America can't run because it is not registered on your system, or it can't be found. Install MapPoint North America and try again.
                      INFO: CNAVController::InitializeMappoint_Help - Trying to create European Map.
                      WARNING: CNAVController::InitializeMappoint_Help - NewMap (Europe) - MapPoint Europe can't run because it is not registered on your system, or it can't be found. Install MapPoint Europe and try again.
                      Navigation Failed!
                      Navigation failed to initailize properly. Is the navigation data installed?

This message indicates that MapPoint North America is not registerd on my system. So, I run MapPoint again, click on help, register. Now, I am registered, right? [I know that I should not register the StreetDeck redistributable version - but, hey... I need some support somewhere... ].

It still does not work!

Exactly, where is SD looking for the navigation data? Why can mappoint find it and not SD? Can I change a configuration file, application path, or registry setting so that SD can find the navigation data?

The date on the StreetDeck install Disk for the SD installer is 7/4/2006 10:13 PM. Is there a more recent install disk that actually gets the mappoint installation right? Can you please send me this disk?
                      Andy

Comment

I have this exact same problem, I had S&T installed and I uninstalled and did just about the exact procedures you did but it did not work. However I dont have the executable you do on my dvd which makes me suspicious of the dvd I recieved. The actual disk had a bit of data missing right in the middle of the disk so I requested a new one, and its on the way currently. I will post again if it solves the problem.

If you come up with anything else let me know b/c I need the fix too, and I'd really rather not reinstall everything and my system restore does not go back far enough to ditch S&T's

-TT

Comment

Originally posted by aforget View Post
                          Yep, there is. I found it in StreetDeckDVD:/MSMap/Pfiles/MapPoint.exe.

I copied it to C:/Program Files/StreetDeck/Maps. Then I ran it. It ran just fine. I have maps in MapPoint. I had my hopes up and went to check if Navigation in StreetDeck would now magically work.
                          Sounds like the executable is just not found when the NAV module initializes. I doubt that ..\..\Maps is where SD expects it. Maybe just up one in Program Files\Streetdeck?

Try copying the executable to a directory that is guaranteed to be in your system's default path. Like c:\windows\system32. It shouldn't matter where SD goes looking for it then.

If that doesn't work then it's not a path problem.

Comment

I have the same problem with MapPoint 2006 Europe on one of my computers.

I can run MapPoit it self without problem. But SD can't use it, I also get "MapPoint Europe can't run because it is not registered on your system"

MapPoit is instaled and working...

I have uninstalled and deleted all paths the reinstalled, but same error acure when running SD.

Comment

It's nice to feel like I'm not the only one out there suffering!
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X