Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virtual Earth cache builder? Or even gps simulator to make it cache?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Earth cache builder? Or even gps simulator to make it cache?

Has anyone seen or know of a way (besides driving all over town) that I can build up a cache of my town in Virtual Earth. I don't have constant pc internet access, but it would be cool if somehow i could build up the cache of VE so i have all the images for my town on my carpc. If not, does anyone know of how i can simulate my GPS in streetdeck to rome all over my town so the cache can build? Any ideas??
    - Mike

I believe this is what you are looking for.
    2001 PT Cuiser
    VoomPC with 1.5Ghz C7
    M2 power supply
    in dash slim tray dvd drive
    DWW-750FM c/w 7" USB touchscreen,AM/FM, 4x45W amp
    See my install here

Comment

Thats exactly what i need... but for Microsoft Virtual Earth (what street deck uses for hybrid images) not for google earth..
      - mike

Comment

Really interested in something that can do this too.. been testing the trial of SD and it would be cool to ;
        a) Pre cache an area on the CarPC when its home (over the Wifi)
        b) Pre cache an area on my main PC and then be able to copy the cache via USB pen etc..

Comment

Originally posted by swift_gti View Post
          Really interested in something that can do this too.. been testing the trial of SD and it would be cool to ;
          a) Pre cache an area on the CarPC when its home (over the Wifi)
          b) Pre cache an area on my main PC and then be able to copy the cache via USB pen etc..
          Yeah, it would be nice! I would satisfied if i could just find a program to auto-cache an area i wanted so i dont have to drive all around with mobile internet (which i dont have anyway)
          - Mike

Comment

For what it's worth, I did a quick google search for an exisiting software program that does this, and didn't come up with anything. :-(

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by parksgm View Post
              For what it's worth, I did a quick google search for an exisiting software program that does this, and didn't come up with anything. :-(
              Ditto, thats why I asked here :-(
              maybe we got some programmer guy here who can whip something up, some type of GPS simulator perhaps where you can select a certain area for the gps to simulate and go over at a certain speed to build the cache?
              - Mike

Comment

I think this feature has been asked for before, but its well worth flagging up again as a desired feature!

Comment

I, too, would like to know if there is a way to pre-load virtual earth maps for areas that I know I will be in. I do not have a mobile internet connection yet.

Comment

Working on it...

I have this project on the back burner... Unfortunately, my real work has been taking up 110% of my time (not even my free time but all of my time ) so this is coming very slowly... But I will update when I have something working.

Any guidance from SD team on how the file names are generated would help (it might be really trivial - I haven't looked yet - but thought I'd throw the question out there)

Mark
                    Mark

See all my CarPC projects

Comment

If we are counting hands, you can count me in for wanting something like this too. I don't have access to the internet at all times, but would love to be able to preload and save the images...

Comment

Maybe ArcWeb is what you're looking for

http://www.spatiallyadjusted.com/200...yahoo-and-ask/

My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
                        NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

Heya

I've been able to cache imgages just by browsing around area's while I do have active internet connection I.E when I'm in my driveway. Keep in mind you won't be able to zoom in and out on these cached images.

It's a bit of a pain but the only way I've been able to do it.
                          My Install

Comment

Originally posted by marchello2000 View Post
                            Any guidance from SD team on how the file names are generated would help (it might be really trivial - I haven't looked yet - but thought I'd throw the question out there)

Mark
                            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/stre...pre-cache.html
                            StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                            Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                            The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Originally posted by ShawJohn View Post
                              Maybe ArcWeb is what you're looking for

http://www.spatiallyadjusted.com/200...yahoo-and-ask/

Seems cool, but at $200 forget that
                              - Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X