Orb vs Slingbox integration or both?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orb vs Slingbox integration or both?

Anyone try Orb (www.orb.com) out yet. I tested this on my Infill Streetdeck this weekend as an external app. It streams perfectly from my media pc at home. I can now watch any live cable tv in my car, watch pre-recorded shows/movies, stream mp3's, etc. It would be awesome to have this interface in Streetdeck. I am just diving into the development side of streetdeck so I will see what I can come up with.
    Mitsubishi Eclipse 2006 GT
    Infill T3 running StreetDeck

What are you using as a connection inside the car?

Comment

Verizon wirelss data card.

Comment

I wish the next update would include playlist support for video playback. I managed to save several playlist that include Orb's livestream.asx file in windows media player which in turn puts the playlists available in the playlists in Streetdeck's Music playlist. It opens a video window outside of streetdeck, so it kind of works. For example, I saved the livestream.asx file that my.orb.com downloads when you select to play a live tv station. The file includes all of your channel lineups and normally would start windows media player up with a playlist of all your channels. In Streetdeck you can open the saved playlist and select any of the channels. It will then open up a window(behind Streetdeck if you are in full screen) and begin playing the live tv stream of the channel you selected.

I think if Chuck can add playlist support for the Video module and then direct the video to the streetdeck video window, rather than a seperate instance...we would be good to go for Orb Integration.

Comment

My workaround right now is to use WMP as an externa app. I went ahead and saved playlists for livetv and a video folder from my.orb.com. This way I always have the playlists available when WMP starts rather than having to navigate through the my.orb.com site.

I recommend going to this link and getting a more touch screen friendly skin for WMP. Check it out:
          Thread
          http://www.customize.org/forum/7382
          Skin
          http://www.customize.org/details/31040

Heres what it looks like...
          Attached Files

Comment

Live TV playlist showing my channel line up.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey guys, Thank you so much for starting this tread. I am getting a SlingBox very shortly and this is just the type of info that I looking for. I will update when I get it installed and working with SD.
              MtryDoc
              2006 Nissan Titan LE 4x4
              Magetic Blue Crew Cab
              4" Lift by PRG Productions
              Infill T3 HU
              Rainbow Sound Line SLC
              ED Nine.1 Pushing 10v2 Sub
              ED Nine.4 Pushing Components

"A Wife That Really Loves Me!!"

Comment

[QUOTE=sharpmat007;974841]My workaround right now is to use WMP as an externa app. I went ahead and saved playlists for livetv and a video folder from my.orb.com. This way I always have the playlists available when WMP starts rather than having to navigate through the my.orb.com site.
                QUOTE]

Here is the future alternative for TV, I've heard a few companies online will offer online TV by streaming all the channels via Windows Streaming Media Server, this includes Vista/XP Media Center edition support.

In the next SD update we will probably see youtube module. So, Chuck, please consider this playlist issue. We can't do anything ourselfs The best we can do is to run asf files from playlists in a separate window. Playlists for local video files would also make everone happy, I believe...
                http://incarCPU.com

Comment

Orb has exposed there api so a mod shouldnt be too far off. I will see what I can come up with. I am awaiting my api key which you can get from https://developer.orb.com/wiki/Start_here

Comment

I am streaming video to my G4 using Windows Media Encoder, so I can stream my DirecTV to my car with Verizon Broadband service. I do all the automation (channel changing, etc.) with Girder. I can't seem to find a way to play the video in SD, just external WMP. Anyone know a way to do it in SD?

What is the ORB service motivation for giving their services for "free"?

Comment

IandI, can you explain how to setup something like that?, sounds interesting.

Comment

I am curious how he is doing it as well. I have used orb, but havent had the time to try and integrate into SD other than external app. I rebuilt my media pc at home with SageTV and the placeshifter client looks perfect to use as its already touchscreen ready. I am using it at work today and works awesome.

There is a 15 day trial on all of the sagetv products so give it a try. You will need a tuner card or ability to stream 1394 firewire from your cable box into your tv. I am using the 1394 so I can record HD and change the channels automatically thru the pc.

Comment

Here is a simple explanation to how I am streaming DirecTV to my car. I am using my home PC loaded with Girder and Windows Media Encoder (Free) with a video encoder board (any one will work) to do the streaming. I use NetRemote and Windows Media Player on the CarPC. I still haven't found a way to play the streaming video in SD, only in external media player.

I use NetRemote to connect to Girder on my home PC over the net, which will fire a macro on my home PC that starts streaming the video. I use NetRemote to change channels on the DirecTV receiver via my whole-house IR network. I can monitor sensors in my house and turn just about anything on and off in my house through NetRemote also, as I have Insteon devices throughout the house.

WMP then connects to the stream that WME supplies. There is about a 5-10 second delay, of course, due to the buffering in the video. I can also stream my full MP3 collection from home, without bringing the files with me in the car. I use the library system in Mediabridge which comes with Girder/NetRemote to select songs and playlists. I can stream audio fine within SD by using a playlist with the stream URL to start the stream playback.

I have some digitalmods in the works for SD, but I am stuck on a few issues that I can't figure out in the SDK. All one would need to stream video from WME or Slingbox is to just get a stream to play in the video in SD somehow (I don't know how). Controlling the channels would be a different issue, which can easily be done by remote by sending keystrokes to Girder, or the Slingbox app through a SD digitalmod. I am up for the task, but need help or documentation for the SD SDK.

Comment

Working...
                          X