Dedicated GPRS Connection for CarPC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated GPRS Connection for CarPC?

Is anyone out there giving their CarPC a dedicated, full-time GSM/GPRS connection, perhaps using a Telit module or something similar? Tethering your CarPC to your mobile phone is certainly less expensive, but that also means your CarPC only has connectivity when your phone is in the car. OTOH, if the CarPC has a connection of its own it opens up a whole new world of possibilities (think On*Star).

Have any of you started down this road?

If I could afford it, I'd get a GSM standalone module so I could have it running 24/7, but I can't unfortunately. The ability to shut down my car remotely should it be stolen would be awesome as onstar can do now, but without the big-brother aspect onstar carries with it..
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Comment

you could do cricket for like $45 a month unlimited internet, but thats about it. there just isnt enough times i need to have my car on the interent when im not there to justify the monthly cost. it would be very convenient though

Comment

Originally posted by trader007 View Post
        you could do cricket for like $45 a month unlimited internet, but thats about it. there just isnt enough times i need to have my car on the interent when im not there to justify the monthly cost. it would be very convenient though
        With AT&T I can add a "line" to my plan for $10/month and get GPRS service on the new line for another $10/month. IMHO that's not too big a price to pay to allow my car to call me up and say "Help! I'm being stolen!"

Comment

yeah i REALLY hate myself for not jumping on that when my sprint sero plan was still mainstream. they used to allow that, but now they claim that its a granfathered plan, and its individual only without possibly to add lines. for $10 a month, i wouldnt hesitate. it would be far too convenient. honestly i have been thinking about dropping cell service all together and just use skype.... cell phone service is overrated these days. its the internet that does everything.

Comment

Originally posted by swarga View Post
            Is anyone out there giving their CarPC a dedicated, full-time GSM/GPRS connection, perhaps using a Telit module or something similar? Tethering your CarPC to your mobile phone is certainly less expensive, but that also means your CarPC only has connectivity when your phone is in the car. OTOH, if the CarPC has a connection of its own it opens up a whole new world of possibilities (think On*Star).

Have any of you started down this road?
            im working with a similar modem module, called Simcom SIM508 (GSM+GPS). they are designed for tracking and sensor applications... the connection between http server and gsm module can be called with 5-10 simple AT command, then small data packages can be sent to the server and back... but i think there is no way to use for normal internet connection...

but we have an another project for a boat: router with linux os ( DD-WRT, OpenWRT, etc ), and a GPRS/HSPDA modem on its USB port (there are several forum for huawei modems)
            "case": Skoda Superb Elegance 1.8T
            Asrock G41MH-GE, E2180 2GHz dualcore, 1024MB DDR2/800, Samsung F1 750GB/7200RPM/32MB, M4-ATX, Lilliput FA1011 HDMI touchscreen, ASUS Xonar DG PCI, homemade Quectel L10 USB GPS

Comment

i currently use the samsung black jack for 3g with att, what i would really love to see is a USB device that i plug in and insert my sim.
              is have a $20 unlimited plan, att offers their 3g USB cards for 60-80 a month ????!!! thats ridiculous.
              but its also inconvenient to set the phone for internet sharing and having to plug it in every time i want internet...
              ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
              2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5
              >"Say what you mean and mean what you say"<

Comment

Clear Mobile

I've got Clear mobile Wimax in my truck. Very nice, $40 a month for unlimited, and I can take the USB dongle and use it with any laptop or device I want when I'm not in the truck. Performance is really pretty good around town with just the occasional drop out.

Around 2meg down in most cases.

VegasGuy

Comment

My Car PC hardware has been hard at work, encoding DVDs, playing music etc sitting undert the telly as the home media centre. It"s just not right! Well it"s about time the day came that the car PC went back where it belongs, and the Car PC is being re-setup.

Vlc Player Download

Comment

Virgin Mobile has a USB Dongle -

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobil...adband2go.html

$10 for 100MB
                    $40 for Unlimited Service

T-Mobile as far as I know isn't charging extra for tethering, but the others are (Sprint, Verizon, AT&T), however one of my phones (Pantech Link) supports Blueooth pairing for modem use. I pay $15 for unlimited data but the Link is a feature phone, not a smart phone and who knows if you used it as a modem and started using uTorrent on your CarPC you might get charged extra.

Comment

I remember that once I have seen on Top Gear that Jeremy have inserted a gsm sim card in the Porsche's radio which was testing, that it was testing, it was very cool.

FPeter, en is magyar vagyok, Kolozsvarrol de mar Los Angelesbe elek.

Comment

I have a few customers that need more than basic vehicle tracking, for them I use the bluetree gsm modem to give them 24/7 monitoring. It's a gsm/gps modem thats capable of assigning upto 32 ip's has ethernet port/usb/serial, various digital/analogue input/outputs for pto/door locks/lights/ect. easily programmed via "AT" commands. engine diagnostics via serial port. Its quite expensive but its very solid hardware thats built in canada.

Comment

not a whole lot has changed yet in the mobile internet market. i still wouldnt mind paying $10 a month for service, but 100mb isnt even close to enough, and $40 a month for unlimited is way too much for what ill use.

over the months ive found the best way is actually bluetooth tethering. add your phone to your pc as a bluetooth device, the computer automatically installs a virtual bluetooth modem. then set up a dial up networking connection on the pc, and use that virtual modem as the connecting modem. work like a charm because you still have internet when you uncradle the phone to use it, and bluetooth doesnt kill your battery while its charging like wifi can.

i also setup my RRVOICE listen button thats on my dash.... if i double click it the computer runs a script that auto-runs the dial up networking, so i can get online with just a button push. very easy, the only part i dont like is that i have to unlock the phone everytime i want to establish the connection.

Comment

I believe tripzero is using a mifi for around $25 a month for connectivity.
                            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                            Want to:
                            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

What about something like this

I hooked something up like that to my Dell Mini 9, but the one I have has a remote SIM slot. the one on the left in the ebay ad has a dedicated slot.

May have jumped the gun a bit - not sure if you need the dedicated slot with those or not. May be something to look into though.

Comment

Working...
                              X