Straight Talk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight Talk

I just saw a commercial for "Straight Talk", that cell phone service u can get at walmart, that's like 45 bucks a month for unlimited calls/texts/data. Has anyone ever tried tethering one to a computer? Theoretically, you would have unlimited data. Does it work?

there is a think called the Data Jack which is basically a data only no contract usb modem, for 40 a month, it looked interesting

Comment

Link?

But I wonder if anyone has tried the Straight Talk. Cuz if it worked out well, it'd be worth it, for sure. Unlimited data for that cheap is impressive, let alone unlimited phone service

Comment

I remember seeing this at CES this year and it caught my attention for a simple CarPC use with no contract

http://www.datajack.com/home

I have not heard much about the whole Straight Talk thing but it seems like it would be simple

Comment

I just called them. They don't have coverage in my area (big surprise there, lol, I live in Wyoming).

Comment

Wow, that makes it a little difficult then. Did you call Straight talk you mean? or DataJack.

Comment

My bad, Datajack. Maybe I'll call straight talk real quick

Comment

Well I called, and the guy I talked to was an idiot. He'd never heard of it before

Comment

wait the guy from Walmart has never Heard of Straight Talk??...wow there is a great training program for you

Comment

No I called Straight Talk, and he'd never heard of tethering a phone to a computer :/

Comment

Oh wow, figures they only let you use basic phones with no niceties such as tethering

Comment

I'm not sure though, there may be a way to do it. Someone on here has to have tried it...

Comment

I work for walmart in the cell phone department. strait talk is contracted by tracfone using Verizon towers (Literally the towers that verizon owns, not their roaming). You wont be able to tether, the contract cell phone company's don't even like people doing it and they make you pay extra for it. almost all cell data when used for computer based internet is limited to 5GB of downloading a month. There is no unlimited option yet. (sprint will be the first to do it later this year when they get 4G on line.)

Comment

Originally posted by kalino_wski View Post
                            I work for walmart in the cell phone department. strait talk is contracted by tracfone using Verizon towers (Literally the towers that verizon owns, not their roaming). You wont be able to tether, the contract cell phone company's don't even like people doing it and they make you pay extra for it. almost all cell data when used for computer based internet is limited to 5GB of downloading a month. There is no unlimited option yet. (sprint will be the first to do it later this year when they get 4G on line.)
                            Well Cricket already does it. And a few "non-cell phone" companies do it as well (mentioned earlier in the thread). Has anyone actually tried it? I know that they use Verizon's towers, but hey, you never know, it could be possible.

Comment

Yea, I have a Straight Talk phone, and tried tethering it.... and kalino_wski is right, you can not tether it. Maybe if you hacked it. But you hook it up and you computer won't even see the phone.
                              I handle Wild Animals for a living.
                              If you see me running
                              Try to keep up!
                              Originally posted by DarquePervert
                              Can it be done? Yes.
                              Has it been done before? Yes.
                              Is it practical? No.
                              Is it something the typical DIY'er can do? No.
                              Would anyone here suggest that you attempt it? No.

Comment

Working...
                              X