Jailbreaking leagalities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jailbreaking leagalities

Ever have a doubt whether it is legal to jail break your phone?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_wguy/2..._wguy_tc3236_2

I just love it when the community wins:

"Apple fought hard against the legalization, arguing that jailbreaking was a form of copyright violation. The FCC disagreed, saying that jailbreaking merely enhanced the inter-operability of the phone, and was thus legitimate under fair-use rules." - quoted from link.
    2003 HCH Work Log
    - Official OpenMobile Builder/Tester

LOL! The FCC seems to be imitating our ACCC (Aussie Consumer &... whatever).
    They ruled years ago that DVD region coding was anti-competitive (hence our DVD players etc are unlocked else have hacks available).
    Similarly, eBay was not allowed to limit transactions to PayPal.

I guess that's a form of communism when the community wins, or the gov't rallies for the community. It should be "user pays" and "user fights" instead! (That's a dig....)

Comment

It has nothing to do with communism and in fact, is the opposite. The job of government in a free-market system is to pass laws to ensure competition and to protect consumers. This usually means regulation against monopolistic behavior by companies.

Apple's anti-jailbreaking tone come from their desire to lock you into only using their app store to get apps and only using the carrier they have deals with. When you jailbreak your phone, you are able to circumvent these desires and thus can take away money from their revenue stream.

If the fcc was taking advice from the Aussie government, they'd probably mandate some sort of universal Internet filter to block out people from pages that tell users how to jailbreak their phone.
      Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
      Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
      Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Agreed! Nice to have a ruling in print, though. Apple should be forced to make the store better and more desirable than competitor's, not waste their time trying to get rulings against jailbreak sites.

In other product categories, this would be laughable. It's a little like Ford arguing that you can have their cars serviced only at Ford dealerships or use it to shop at Ford approved grocery stores.

I don't see how they can argue that this is a copyright violation, any more than you can alternately argue that using an Apple iPhone to take pictures for the purposes of planning and executing a crime makes the company an accessory to the act.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Yeah, I've heard about this, good news indeed. I guess rooting an Android should be included? What about tales of bricking the Android X?
          Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
          Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
            It's a little like Ford arguing that you can have their cars serviced only at Ford dealerships or use it to shop at Ford approved grocery stores.
            You mean 7-Eleven?

hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by tripzero View Post
              It has nothing to do with communism and in fact, is the opposite.
              Sorry trip - but that's what I meant by That's a dig.... )I'm having a go at healthcare is communism (but subsidies aren't) etc.

Though you have totally lost me on mandating "some sort of universal Internet filter to block out people from pages that tell users how to jailbreak their phone" unless that is your joke...? As I said, we made regionalisation illegal. We also removed subsidies and tariffs from out local producers and manufacturers.
              Or maybe you confuse us with an ally or someone else??

Comment

What about tales of bricking the Android X?
                The tale started by one guy posting on one forum who happened to "brick" his device by messing with the boot stuff? The same guy that thinks "JTAG" is a programming language?

Turned out to be a total non-event, and the guy was wrong. Which I predicted based on the fact that he didn't know what JTAG was. If you don't know what that is, then you aren't allowed an opinion on whether or not something is "bricked"

Gary (-;
                OBDGPSLogger, for logging OBDII and/or GPS data
                OBDSim, an OBDII/ELM327 software simulator
                mp3car forums: obdgpslogger, obdsim

Comment

Originally posted by OldSpark View Post
                  Sorry trip - but that's what I meant by That's a dig.... )I'm having a go at healthcare is communism (but subsidies aren't) etc.

Though you have totally lost me on mandating "some sort of universal Internet filter to block out people from pages that tell users how to jailbreak their phone" unless that is your joke...? As I said, we made regionalisation illegal. We also removed subsidies and tariffs from out local producers and manufacturers.
                  Or maybe you confuse us with an ally or someone else??
                  I'm probably confusing you with new zealand. Didn't they outlaw sheep or something like that?

j/k. I'm following what you originally said much better now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                    Agreed! Nice to have a ruling in print, though. Apple should be forced to make the store better and more desirable than competitor's, not waste their time trying to get rulings against jailbreak sites.

In other product categories, this would be laughable. It's a little like Ford arguing that you can have their cars serviced only at Ford dealerships or use it to shop at Ford approved grocery stores.

I don't see how they can argue that this is a copyright violation, any more than you can alternately argue that using an Apple iPhone to take pictures for the purposes of planning and executing a crime makes the company an accessory to the act.
                    i can kind of see how apple argued it-- it is similar to the law for cars about aftermarket equipment affecting the factory warranty(Magnuson-Moss Act)-- dealerships used to use aftermarket equipment--no matter if it affected the defective factory part--as leverage to voiding the factory warranty on the car... now they are supposed to prove that installing a aftermarket supercharger really did mess up the factory motor...

i think that the whole jb=bad thing would also be more understandable if they rented the devices... but people paid to purchase the device, so there is no reason that any provider should have locked-in, sole rights to the device...

it would be really nice if apple learned from this experience, and allowed some of the jailbroken apps in, but, after how long it took them to just offer free cases for the iphone 4, i highly doubt it will ever happen..

but, back to topic, it is nice to finally see government on our side.
                    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                    carpc undecided

Comment

True enough! But I think we've been going in the wrong direction for quite awhile. Nobody complains about DVD players that only work in certain parts of the world, and blu-ray DRM is flat out evil. All to punish law abiding citizens, not pirates who circumvent this stuff with ease.

Agree that jb = evil is a made up Apple thing, and I can get how they think it might affect the quality of the device - I've had slowdowns and hiccups from jb but I know that's the price for cutting edge stuff. Most people have no idea. So, I get how they might want to discourage it.

But, I'd rather they pour the law dollars into innovation than trying to prevent it.
                      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:
                      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I formated my Ipod classic the day I bought it and installed 8000 MP3's on it Um.... am I going to jail now ....
                        My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

I live in Norway, and here, jailbreaking is legal. Allways have been... You have been encouraged NOT to do it, and Apple have ofcourse threatened with "scary stuff examples"... But still, it's legal.
                          The reason is a trade law that encourage third party sales.

Even, I quote the law, "personal security copies of bought and owned digital materials" is legal.
                          PS: The same law saved "DVD-Jon" many years ago, when he where the first to break the DVD copy protection.

Though... even if jailbreaking is legal.. The warrenty probably do not support it. Unless you can prove that the 3rd party software installed is not damaging the hardware in any ways. (and it's here Apple is saying that ALL 3rd party programs is a liability on the hardware)... Most interesting, since I've been using a jailbroken iPhone 3G since they came, and it's till as good as new.

I have one REALY good reason for jailbreaking... Winterboard.

But.. in the end.. I have now ended up with an Android.. (HTC Desire).. I got tierd of not beeing able to sync properly (the legal way) between my home computer and my office computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Crinos View Post
                            But.. in the end.. I have now ended up with an Android.. (HTC Desire).. I got tierd of not beeing able to sync properly (the legal way) between my home computer and my office computer.
                            Good luck with that Droid. My wife just got rid of her Samsung Captivate (AT&T crap - Android 2.1 or 2.2) due to all the problems with the contacts being duplicated over and over again. Sadly enough, the guy at the ATT store said that he's had 7 people in the past 2 days return the Captivate for the same issues. Amongst the other issues with that phone were the inability to open attachments in emails (simple txt format documents as well as office/pdf formats) and assigning custom ringtones to contacts (also part of the numerous contacts issues the phone has).

Personally, I've lost a lot of respect I had for Google due to that phone. Seems to me like it could have used another 6 months of testing and debugging before it's release. Something tells me that there was a rush to fight the iPhone4 though...and we all know money wins over accountability.

If I wasn't stuck with a crackberry for work I'd get a droid phone simply for the fact that it wasn't Apple

Comment

Google contacts can create many duplicates too on other platforms. I know it used to do on my iPhones.

This post on Lifehacker, March 2010, saved me the constant aggravation of having to eliminate duplicates:

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/03...ogle-contacts/

Google Contacts needs to get better. Google and Gmail devotees regularly deal with duplicate contacts, sync abnormalities, over-stuffed contact groups and other problems. Here are our best methods for fixing those annoyances yourself until Google does for real.
                              For starters, you have to eliminate "my contacts" from the equation and create your own contact group. Read it all, my .2c advice.
                              Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                              Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Working...
                              X