Simple Droid car PC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Droid car PC?

So what if I only want Mp3 playback and GPS (and phone of course)? Can a Droid handle this? I'm a smart phone newb so I'm not sure thier capabilities. I read a couple threads where people have taken the audio out and jacked into thier amp. That works for me.

I've used my Droid for mp3 playback while my carpc was out of commission, to be honest it's way too small and there aren't really any car-friendly apps out there to make it worth using full time.
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Comment

I'm with malcom on this one. It's not a fun device for a simple CarPC replacement. Navigating thru music on such a small screen while driving is sure to cause you some grief.
      Tidder

Try RevFE
      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

If you don't change music while driving it works ok (set a playlist before you go)...otherwise like everyone else said-you'll end up in a tree trying to change songs.
        openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
        - Always Recruiting Developers -
        Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Go for Archos 5 Android. It has 5 inch good screen and can be mounted. Come with SD 32 GB or HD 500 GB. Enoough for 90% of CarPC usage (GPS, DVB-T add-on, FM Radio, all video format, also HD, all music etc.)

Comment

It's not really the screen that's the issue. It's the interface itself. There aren't any good apps that are Car friendly to allow you to keep your attention on the road.
            Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

There are now!
              The Nexus One has a bespoke car mode that gives you music phone and gps, plus for a (fairly extortionate) fee you can buy the google car dock.
              Still sticking to my macmini tho, but soon probably tehered thru the Nexus One instead of the dongle.

Colin

Comment

many android phones have a car mode....it is by no means even close to a front end replacement.
                openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                - Always Recruiting Developers -
                Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Yeah, my Moto Droid does, and it's not good for really anything other than shortcuts to not-car-friendly apps.
                  Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

I still find the Google Maps w/ Navigation on my Droid to be superior to any PC based software out there. The only cons it has is the small screen, and the poor text to speech quality. I'm tempted to try running it in an android emulator just to get better nav on my carpc.

My wife uses the droid as her primary device in her car (uses it for Nav, Pandora, and iHeartRadio) in the motorola car dock. None of those features really require any interaction while driving, meaning the small screen is of not much consequence to her.
                    2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG
                    Intel D945GCLF2 w/512MB RAM, CL Audigy w/KxProject, M2-ATX, Lilliput EBY701

Comment

Don't know about you, but when I'm in the middle of nowhere with no EVDO service, I'd take iGuidance over google navi any day.
                      Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

You could get a app with the maps. I did that on my winmo phone. Had the garmin software on there. I am sure you can do the same with Android.
                        FKA psptibby

Comment

The only thing I can do 100 percent safely well driving with my phone would probably be the google navigation, but music would be a pain in the *** even with my car stand plus the sound quality would be a negative.

I wish google navigation was available for carpcs :/ it kicks ***. only con I have with is it doesn't say your speed, but still has the speak **** and nice POIs. Anyways my phone replaced my old tomtom .
                          2002 Honda Civic Ex --Worklog

Comment

droid x + hdmi cable + Lilliput 669 + realHDMI app would work just fine as a car PC. The only problem is you'd have to use the small (4.3 inch) screen as the touchscreen.
                            mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                            Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                            Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by colindunscombe View Post
                              There are now!
                              The Nexus One has a bespoke car mode that gives you music phone and gps, plus for a (fairly extortionate) fee you can buy the google car dock.
                              Still sticking to my macmini tho, but soon probably tehered thru the Nexus One instead of the dongle.

Colin
                              we talked about car mode in the carbytes podcast episode 1. It's just a more carpc friendly menu to, like tidder said, non-carpc-friendly apps.
                              Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                              Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                              Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Working...
                              X