Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Android Ultimate In-Car OEM System - Remote Bluetooth Touch, HDMI Mirroring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Android Ultimate In-Car OEM System - Remote Bluetooth Touch, HDMI Mirroring

    Click image for larger version

Name:	MimicsX2.png
Views:	1
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	2310008
    We all know that in car tablet integration changes you entertainment experience dramatically... But what if your in-car OEM system already has a display with/without a touchscreen, and replacing that is not viable due to you current system depending on your factory dash display?. Things such as climate controls, factory instruments are difficult to replace.

    What if you could use your Android device to "merge" with your current OEM system so you can actually control and view your android device on your OEM monitor! If needed you can seamlessly switch between your OEM display and Android device.

    So what are the benefits?
    • Installation is much easier, most installs won't require custom dash inserts.
    • If you change your Android device your infotainment system will change also, making upgrading a breeze.
    • If you vehicle has bluetooth you can pair your phone with you OEM system, which will allow you to see who's calling and answer calls regardless of which mode you are in.
    • No need to learn to a system, if you know your phone you will know your entertainment sytem.

    What you need to install:
    The Android bluetooth touch module need to be connected to your OEM touchscreen (with/without "switcher add-on"). It also needs power from your ACC input.
    If your factory system has a display but no touchscreen, you can use just an overlay so you can control your device.
    If your factory system has a display and a touchscreen, you can use the "switcher" add-on to retain you OEM screen controls.


    What about the video input?
    If you Android device has TVOut capability then this should interface directly with most factory systems, otherwise you will need a converter.
    If your Android device has HDMI output (most new ones do) you will need to convert the HDMI to the correct video signal that your factory system can use.

    So how do I switch between the two?
    1. The module has a dock sensing input that can be used to switch between your to systems simply by docking/un-docking your phone. This same input will need to be connected to your OEM AUX video trigger to switch the video.
    2. You can use a manual switch to toggle between the two systems.
    3. Alternatively you can use one of your factory buttons to switch between modes.

    So can you use this as a standalone device?
    Yes you can. Installation will require a monitor + touchscreen. No video converter will be needed as you can connect the device directly to the HDMI/TVOut input of the monitor.
    You will need some kind of amp, its actually easier to use a single din headunit (if you have room) as you will have an amp, radio and convenient controls.

    Here is a demonstration of the Android device being remotely controlled using a standard double-din insert with monitor.


    Supported fully tested devices .. So far
    [Droid BIONIC]
    [Samsung Galaxy S2/S3/S4]
    [Galaxy Nexus]
    [Motorola ATRIX] - Requires Mod to enable mirroring
    [Photon]
    [Droid X2]
    [Droid RAZR]
    [Droid RAZR Maxx]
    [Motorola ATRIX(2)]

    All iOS devices up to 6.1.2 (Jailbreak required)
    iPod3+
    All ipads
    All iPhones

    .. and more


    DOCUMENTATION:


    MimicsX2 Manual.PDF



    **********************
    ***** WHAT'S NEW *****
    **********************
    Current released stable firmware = v1.2.8.

    v1.2.9 - In progress, will be released soon
    -Added low level firmware driver for two types 10.1" capacitive touchscreens
    -Improved touch response


    v1.2.8 - 18-July-2013
    -Android/iOS now have one separate firmware file each (Re-pair/recalibrate required)
    -Fixed a very tedious timing bug

    v1.2.7 - 29-June-2013
    -Added support for Samsung Galaxy S4
    -Added support for LG Optimus G Pro (all versions)
    -Fixed calibration bug for iOS

    v1.2.6
    -Updated to new version control system

    v1.2.5
    -Minor bug fix from previous version for iOS

    v1.2.4
    -Fixed random "auto home" issue on specific touchscreen orientation.
    -Fixed touchscreen accuracy bug

    V1.2.3
    -Added detection for incorrect resistive touchscreen installation. Red & Green LED will flash
    if error is detected.

    v1.2.2
    -Unified Resistive/capacitive support for all resistive and combo capacitive
    -Bug fixes
    -6 second cold-boot bluetooth auto pairing

    v1.2.1
    -Fully supported "swipe/tap from clock" "Home" button. Double tap or swipe to activate task switcher
    -Completely re-wrote touch algorithm for more stable operation

    v1.2.0
    -First stable release

    v1.0.0 - 1.2.0
    -Initial beta testing Release

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *Official Google play app almost done* - No root needed
    Currently complete features:
    - Auto Landscape rotate & lock (on devices that don't already do this)
    - Auto dimming
    - Auto launch favorite application on connection

    Still in progress:
    - Automated screen calibration utility
    - Option to swap HOME/BACK button feature
    - Volume preset on connection
    Last edited by customGadz; 07-23-2013, 10:38 AM.

  • #2
    More details please?

    Cost of unit? can a novice install? are these on sale yet?

    Looking good so far
    ------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by ClockWorK
    Remember, as soon as you make something idiot-proof, they will come out with a better idiot.
    ------------------------------------------

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ephect View Post
      More details please?

      Cost of unit? can a novice install? are these on sale yet?

      Looking good so far
      Theres a link in the video that takes you to a webpage with more details and pricing. Shipping end of this month.

      If you can install a car stereo then you should be able to install this. The installation procedure is the same as the mimics for iPhone. Basically you connect a module to your factory/additional touchscreen and then you connect the power to the ACC line. The rest is done over bluetooth. You also need to connect the HDMI cable to an optional adaptor to connect to your factory unit.

      I'm working on a install diagram, and should have something soon.-

      Comment


      • #4
        I have a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix it does not have a screen at all, just a double din radio. I was wondering what else I might need to setup this system, and if the instruction diagrams will include cars without Nav/entertainment systems in them already. I'd also like to see some images of the unit not installed.

        Comment


        • #5
          But car OEM displays are not so easy to interface with CVBS/HDMI video. Normally, they don't have any video input. But even if they have one, you'll need a cvbs to RGB converter.

          However, it is great product.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by reinoso View Post
            But car OEM displays are not so easy to interface with CVBS/HDMI video. Normally, they don't have any video input. But even if they have one, you'll need a cvbs to RGB converter.

            However, it is great product.
            Most newer vehicles have at least have some kind of video input. There is A/V (for reverse camera, aux video, iPod), RBG (for nav) and also GVIF.

            "HDMI to CVBS/Composite" and "HDMI to RGB/YPbPr" are easy to get and cheap and should cover most vehicles that have a video input. Some vehicles will require an additional adaptor.

            Obviously this system won't work on every single vehicle, but the option is there if you vehicle does support it.

            Comment


            • #7
              This is very cool. I cannot even undertand how can it be possible to interface with so many different touchscreens (resolution/size, type, etc.).

              As for the OEM video input, in my cars, HDMI to RGB+sync would be needed, and these are not easy to find. ScanDo (retail, $$$, bought on ebay for $40) can do VGA to RGB+S, but not HDMI. Not sure also if it would support a widescreen tablet resolution, but it should. As for the reverse camera video input, both my cars also overlay text and/or graphics ("caution etc", dotted lines) on the screen on the reverse, so that option is not good. Both have a TV input option (composite to RGB+S, "nav-tv" devices) that would require composite, but it cost around $250.00 each. I hacked my way with this, it's pretty simple actually, but it's composite. This is of course, just my case, just saying it's not that simple for some (using the OEM screen).

              But I'm not complaining, just using a touchscreen monitor looks promising enough. Can't wait to hear more about this.
              Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
              Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

              07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                This is very cool. I cannot even undertand how can it be possible to interface with so many different touchscreens (resolution/size, type, etc.).

                As for the OEM video input, in my cars, HDMI to RGB+sync would be needed, and these are not easy to find. ScanDo (retail, $$$, bought on ebay for $40) can do VGA to RGB+S, but not HDMI. Not sure also if it would support a widescreen tablet resolution, but it should. As for the reverse camera video input, both my cars also overlay text and/or graphics ("caution etc", dotted lines) on the screen on the reverse, so that option is not good. Both have a TV input option (composite to RGB+S, "nav-tv" devices) that would require composite, but it cost around $250.00 each. I hacked my way with this, it's pretty simple actually, but it's composite. This is of course, just my case, just saying it's not that simple for some (using the OEM screen).

                But I'm not complaining, just using a touchscreen monitor looks promising enough. Can't wait to hear more about this.
                Ripp,
                I appreciate your feedback and concern.

                Most OEM touchscreens in vehicles are 4-wire, and this will work with any 4-wire touchscreen. There is a built in calibration utility that allows you to compensate for the differences in touchscreens and display formats.

                To calibrate you need to display you phones display on your external monitor first, and then the module will calibrate your touchscreen to the monitor using its point-to-point system.

                Yes, I totally understand that the video conversion in some vehicles might be complicated and expensive. If using this system with an OEM monitor, you need to ensure that you can get the correct video converter before deciding to use this. If you have composite input then you will only require one $40 adaptor. If you using this with a PC or standalone monitor then you wont need any video conversion as long as you have a spare video input.

                Obviously, the module requires specific firmware to suit the Android device. (This can be updated easilly at any time)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well, one other use I could have for this, would be to control tablets remotely. Say I have two tablets in the headrest, and I want to change something for a 3year old, in-laws, whatever. I could feed the video to the carputer/oem screen (VNC/composite), select another video or whatever with your remote BT touch at the next traffic light, and it's done.

                  It would be even better if I could control one tablet from another tablet/phone, instead of a touchscreen.

                  But of course, just controlling your android phone for your touchscreen is also a good addition. Hopefully Galaxy tabs (7"; 10.1") will be added to the supported list later. Keep us posted.
                  Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                  Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

                  07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                    Hopefully Galaxy tabs (7"; 10.1") will be added to the supported list later. Keep us posted.
                    Aren't they supported now? As long as they have a HDMI connection.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                      Well, one other use I could have for this, would be to control tablets remotely. Say I have two tablets in the headrest, and I want to change something for a 3year old, in-laws, whatever. I could feed the video to the carputer/oem screen (VNC/composite), select another video or whatever with your remote BT touch at the next traffic light, and it's done.

                      It would be even better if I could control one tablet from another tablet/phone, instead of a touchscreen.

                      But of course, just controlling your android phone for your touchscreen is also a good addition. Hopefully Galaxy tabs (7"; 10.1") will be added to the supported list later. Keep us posted.
                      I dont think you will be able to control two tablets simultaneously with the one touchscreen. The only way I can see this working is to have two modules individially paired to each tablet, then you will have to make sure that both tablets were in sync. The other way is to have two modules and then switch between each tablet that you want to control.
                      Last edited by customGadz; 11-07-2011, 09:49 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by nettech_gt View Post
                        Aren't they supported now? As long as they have a HDMI connection.
                        Not all devices with HDMI will work. (most will)

                        Since we already support the samsung Galaxy SII, theres a good chance the galaxy tab will work. Just need to test and confim thats all.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by customGadz View Post
                          I dont think you will be able to control two tablets simultaneously with the one touchscreen. The only way I can see this working is to have two modules individially paired to each tablet, then you will have to make sure that both tablets were in sync. The other way is to have two modules and then switch between each tablet that you want to control.
                          Got it, and agreed as far as it goes, but that's not what I meant. I mean using one tablet/phone to control each/both tablet in the rear headrests (instead of using a touchscreen to do the same, you'd use another tablet).
                          Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                          Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

                          07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                            Got it, and agreed as far as it goes, but that's not what I meant. I mean using one tablet/phone to control each/both tablet in the rear headrests (instead of using a touchscreen to do the same, you'd use another tablet).
                            I see now, looks like you might have to use VNC or something. Still, I don't think it's going to be easy. You could have two back seat monitors (LCD) mirroring the main tablet display as this would be the easiest solution. Then if you had touchscreens in the back seat monitors the kids would be able to control the main tablet, and you could also control the movies they want to watch. The problem with this system is that if all three devices were touched, it would be similar to three fingers touching the one tablet. I guess if you wanted total control you could easilly disable the back two touchscreens when you wanted. So at any given time only one of the devices can be touched at any one time.

                            Then again, you probably have two tablets already fabricated in the back headrests.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I just pre ordered this and I dont even have android phone yet. :P I am trying to decide on the Galaxy Nexus (hense my ICS question) and the Skyrocket (GS2 LTE) and since they are both galaxy's I asume I will need to "press the home key to use the device durring a call". Hense the second question which I guess is mute if it does work with ICS and I go with the Nexus since the buttons are on the screen anyway.

                              Two questions:
                              1: any word on ICS support? I know its not out yet and there is very little known about it but I was wondering what your thoughts were? I asume if its works on Honeycomb it should work on ICS.
                              2: any video of how the "hardware buttons" work or wiring of them?


                              Thanks,
                              Dave

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X