Post your custom iPhone docks!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post your custom iPhone docks!

Hey guys I've been thinking about ways to build a custom iPhone dock in my car so that when I hop in the car I can quickly and easily pop my iPhone into the dock and get going. I've been thinking about maybe acquiring some sort of cupholder dock but I also want to hear other people's ideas and see examples of custom dash work done. So post up pictures of what you have!

Here is an example from a Land Rover concept I snagged from engadget:

While we wait for the real smart geeks to figure out external touch screen control I think this will help inspire interest on the "ergonomics and usability" front. Call me lazy, but I think it's a pain in the *** to plug my iphone into the USB port/dock connector in the glovebox every time I get in the car and unplug it when I get back out. It's even worse if you're using an aux port + dock port charger. And if you're doing it that way where do you stick the iPhone so you can see it while using turn by turn? Well add another step to the process if you're putting it up on a window mounted holder.

Good thread, im in the process of coming up with an idea - im thinking about getting the video out cable (composite) which utilises a usb plug for charging and 3 rca's - video left and right. that makes 1 connection to the iphone, video to screen, audio plugs to audio, usb plug to usb for charging... just gotta sort out a mount!

With my Nokia N95 i used a spare case attached to the dashboard that the phone 'clicked' into, im waiting on a similar case for the iphone (the hard plastic jacket for the back) that may work for me, will wait and see when it arrives.

Comment

Interesting, I didn't know such a cable existed. That would certainly provide the all-in-one functionality needed to use the iPhone as a carPC. Could you post a link for it? Thanks

Comment

Nevermind I found it. It's the same cable I've been looking at, I just didn't realize it had USB.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...mco=MjE1NTI2OA

Comment

not it

the cable you linked will not work that is a componet cable it actually has five rca plugs red,green,blue, audio left audio right. we need one with composite.

Comment

They make a composite version. I've been using it for several months.
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

are you using os 3.0 yet ive heard it wont work

Comment

Works fine for me. I use the ipod cable with screenspltr and have been using 3.0 for a few weeks now. Also the phone is jailbroken.

Comment

Is this the cable you're all talking about?

http://www.accstation.com/cappiphodat4.html

It says "not compatible with 3.0 firmware"...

More options at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gb...hone+composite

But they don't say weather they're compatible with 3.0 or not. Which one are you using jusjake?

Do I need to jailbreak to make it work?
                  Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                  Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Come to think of it, probably whatever works now with 3.0 may not work with updates 3.1, 3.5 or whatever.

Is that an official Apple policy? They detect 3rd party cables and disable them? Many of the above worked fine with previous firmware.

What a bunch of crap would be to fabricate a beautiful mount only to have it disabled after the last update.
                    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

The first one you posted is the same one I have. I don't think apple would ever dissable the phone from working with their cable.

Comment

This isn't mine but I thought I would post it to wet your whistle. I need to create a dock somehow but its going to be tricky. Enjoy.

http://hackaday.com/2007/07/03/make-...ods-ipod-dock/

Comment

Wow this thread got way off track.

Scott AFB, IL

Comment

Yeah I just flamed Apple for changing the dock connector in OS 3.0 (after reading I couldn't use the cheap cord off ebay). I'm just curious if you all have had any luck using the cheaper cords with iphone 3g 3.0 (jailbroken, but don't think it matters). I was mad enough when they changed the connector after the 3g, but the fact that they are now changing it with firmware is just a "WOW" - if in fact true.

Comment

You cannot use a cheap a/v cable with 3.0 (jailbroken or not). No one has one out yet. You'll either have to wait for people to start making one based on 3.0 or buy apple's'.

Comment

Working...
                              X