Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Navigator

Hi there,

http://www.directions.ltd.uk/ used to make (European) navigation software running natively under Linux.

Here are some updates on the current developments:

PC Navigator 7 is to be released in about 3 weeks from now. This will probably be in the beginning of May.

There will no Linux version available immediately, but normally there will be one in Q3 or Q4 of this year.

Directions Ltd claims some of their customers are running their software satisfactorily under Wine.

There will most probably be an upgrade path available to get the Linux version cheaply if you already bought the Windows version.

As I'm really exited about this, I wanted to ask if anybody here has experience with running this under Wine. (They don't specify how much horsepower you need to run this software.)

Normally I will buy version 7 and try it under Wine and Gentoo to see if it works. I hope it's fast enough for a 800MHz C3 Epia board...

...And version 7 will have TMC!

Cheers,

Johan.

Comment

I'm also waiting for the new version. They mailed me that they hope to have it ready next week!

They always go beyond their deadlines... I hope it will be available in 2-3 weeks.

Maarten

Comment

Originally posted by maartenclaes View Post
        I'm also waiting for the new version. They mailed me that they hope to have it ready next week!

They always go beyond their deadlines... I hope it will be available in 2-3 weeks.

Maarten
        Yeah, I know about their "releasedateprojections"...

I started last year with my CarPC project.
        The Linux version, with 3D maps and TMC support would be available in Q2 2006... Well, it wasn't. ;-)

Yesterday (2007/04/10) they told me 3 weeks, so I guess this is the most recent information?

Cheers,

Johan.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan_B View Post
          Yeah, I know about their "releasedateprojections"...
          Yesterday (2007/04/10) they told me 3 weeks, so I guess this is the most recent information?
          I've also mailed with them yesterday. They don't seem know the releasedate... :S

We'll see

Comment

On Monday I asked again what the current status was and they say it will be released "next week".

So, stay tuned, but don't hold your breath...

Cheers,

Johan.

Comment

Why wait for a native Linux version in release 7 while version 6 for windows works perfectly with wine!
              and starts up quite fast...
              EPIA M10K, 512MB RAM, 60GB
              [##########] 100% (since 1 March 2005)

snowboarding.be - bokky.com

Comment

Maybe because buying a windows software using it in Wine isn't 'good' (read: "could not work as it should"), and crack it isn't the way of thinking of Linux users, while waiting some time more to buy a software made for it, and pay it the same price than the older version.

(I apologize for my english)

Project progress: 20%

Comment

On Tuesday 29 I was told by Directions "DVDs should be with us on Monday"
                  That's tomorrow. Let's see if it happens. As a satisfied user of version 6 I hope it does as the improvements promised are significant.

Graham

Comment

I wonder if these guys will ever have some US maps.

Comment

Running

Hi there,

So I now have PC Navigator 7 Europe...
                      I ordered previous Monday, received it on Thursday.

It works under Wine, although I still have an issue with sound, but I hope I can solve it soon.

I have a Navilock TMC capable GPS receiver and it is fully supported.
                      I had TMC running in my test setup, but yesterday evening I installed the carPC in my car and can't get it to work anymore. :-(
                      It must be something stupid I'm missing.

Anyway, I did a quick testdrive and it works as advertised. ;-)

Maps from 2007, navigation accross Europe, fast route calculation, recalculate as you go, etc...

I'm not really into skinning and so on, so I can't comment on that.
                      I use it full screen, but you can minimize it from the menu.

Cheers,

Johan.

Comment

Originally posted by metalac View Post
                        I wonder if these guys will ever have some US maps.
                        They have

Check out the products abilities directly from the source...so here is the U.S and Canada version

http://www.mapfactor.com/en/products...sa-and-canada/

I know that the dev team is located in czech country, place where they sell newly made products.

Comment

We were talking about a Linux version, is it only this version that can work whith Wine ? Or a full version, installable on Linux ?

Comment

We are talking about linux version but it's not still available, should be but no dates yet defined.

Comment

Okay, I don't have to hurry
                              (sorry for the expression, I didn't find the right one)

I'll wait for it
                              Thanks !

Comment

Working...
                              X