Midlinux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midlinux?

Hey guys I'm new here and I currently use windows in my carpc but I've been itching to try linux. And while doing some searching for a good linux media program I came across stuff like elisa, linuxMCE, linuxICE, etc. But one REALLY caught my eye, it's called Midlinux and it's a distro made for 5-7inch touch screens. And it's level of polish and features almost embarrass whats currently available.

I searched this forum and could not find any info on it so I'm hoping that some of you have experience with it and can let me know the pros and cons of it.

Heres screen shot and link to info:

http://www.opensourcecomputing.net/i...id=31&Itemid=1

It doesn't look like it is available to download. So I think it falls in the category of vaporware.
    My carputer project

Comment

MID Linux ~ LinuxICE

If the ICE team could put together a modified matchbox wm that functioned like a MID (Mobile Internet Device) like the screen shots from MIDLinux that would be awesome!

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6487582395.html

I've seen modified Matchbox window managers that look like this, at least I think they started with matchbox, but only commercially.

I like the idea of having the carpc front end as the actual desktop and not another app running on top of it.
      This would have a lot of advantages including being able to run any X11 app.

Does the LinuxICE group have any thoughts on this?
      Sailin
      Fabrication....[----x-----] 50%

Comment

Mobile Linux WM UI specs

Here are some links to design guides/specs:

Ubuntu - matchbox;
        https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileAndEmbedded/WindowManager

and the UIStyleGuide:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileAndEmbedded/UIStyleGuide

the link to the pdf at the top of this one shows an example UI which is Red Flag "MIDLinux"

just FYI
        Sailin

Comment

If my guessing is correct (cuz I couldn't find any details on the software) they use matchbox wm with the hildon desktop. Hildon is a flash based desktop so eyecandy is good.

We may use hildon for LinuxICE2. Skinning it however, is a major obstacle for people who want nghost to match the theme of the desktop or vice versa.
          Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
          Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
          Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

what about moblin?
            it's similar to midlinux but appears to be more open source.

any one try it yet?
            Sailin

Comment

I've messed with moblin a bit. Their kernel is rather specific to their hardware (umpc's) but they've done a lot of cool things (grub-fast-boot), and a nice hildon desktop.

Comment

WOW... that Midlinux demo looks like the way to go on a frontend. Lets make it happen...
                Setup:
                Dynaudio 240GT
                PPI PC4100, PPI PC2350
                Zapco DSP6
                ADS DAC
                Testing new board (Albatron KI690-AM2)

"I dont know if complaints were filed, or mistakes were made, but feelings were hurt." -Krystal Washington

Comment

Wow... Simply WOW...

Comment

So is there any chance of LinuxICE evolving into a distro that follows the MID standard or using a UI like Midlinux, Moblin or Hildon?

IMO it makes a lot more sense to use a MID or Mobile type of Linux environment. That way you wouldn't need a separate front app and we could focus on writing/modifying software that was car friendly.

Kev, could you offer any insight on the direction of LinuxICE with respect to a MID standard?
                    Sailin

Comment

IMO it makes a lot more sense to use a MID or Mobile type of Linux environment. That way you wouldn't need a separate front app and we could focus on writing/modifying software that was car friendly.
                      This is very much the direction we want to take LinuxICE.

I would really like to see LinuxICE become the platform for CarPC software. If what we are planning surfaces, It'll be a much better platform than windows for sure. This platform will consist of the core OS, icepanel, and nGhost2.

In this new paradigm of carpc software nGhost2 will not be a technical "frontend". Instead it will be a Desktop much like hildon (except network aware, pluggable, customizable, opengl accelerated, etc) and will stand as a launcher for the other carPC apps and a media player. This, IMHO is the best solution to what the whole industry needs.

To illustrate what we are planning I'm linking to two diagrams of the current planed LinuxICE platform:

Comment

I couldn't agree more, could you borrow any of the features from moblin to create linuxICE or Nghost2-Desktop?

this sounds really exciting!
                        Sailin

Comment

The new ICE age!

Following the MID design guide would be a good idea, this appears to be what moblin and midlinux follow as well as other similar projects.

I think there are two main components that will define the interface.(which looks to be what LinuxICE is heading to )
                          they are a Desktop (Nghost-Desktop) and a main panel (ICE-panel)
                          both of which could be closely based on the moblin UI (see below)

and

for the whole MID spec click here

guess it's time to learn C++
                          Sailin

Comment

The reason why we don't want to go with the MID interface is because we wanted the dock and the desktop to interact with each other, other apps, and plugins while still maintaining the same level of interface customization. Having the desktop network aware means that you can have multiple integrated carpc systems running and communicating with each other. It also allows other apps to control what nghost is displaying and doing in the background (handy for voice recognition).

We are using the same technique however with the mobile friendly dock+desktop combination not to mention the same underlying base and window manager (matchbox). I think the moblin guys are even using stuff from the LinuxICE project (the calibrator is one).

We have all the pieces ready (or nearly ready) for nghost2 we just need the time to put them all together.

Comment

What I meant by following the MID design guide was more or less following the layout and appearance, making the buttons finger friendly with a minimum size of 70 x 70 pixels at 800 x 480 resolution, right click by touch and hold, basically a clean and easily readable stacked layout. which is for the most part what LinuxICE is following, I think.?.

more questions:
                              Will we be able to customize the panels (ICE-Panel) by adding/moving the applets as needed?
                              Since you are creating ICE-panel will there be a way to justify the components on the panel left, right or center?
                              Are the components built into the panel or are they applets that can be added/removed (for example the workspace switcher buttons, clock, etc...)
                              Can we add other Gnome applets to the panel?
                              Can the panel be docked to the top or sides of the desktop?
                              Is there a way to create a desktop with buttons to allow you to scroll through the apps, one that isn't flash? I really like the moblin layout but... flash??
                              Sailin

Comment

Working...
                              X