Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compiz?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Compiz?

    Has anyone put Compiz/Fusion/Beryl on their carPCs yet? I'm curious to know how it went as that's what I'm planning on doing.

    I like the whole idea of flipping the cube for each "function" of the computer (radio side, mp3 side, gps side, movie side, etc etc).
    -Billy

  • #2
    if you have any modern graphics card, you can try it, otherwise not worth trying.
    I have each function on separate screen, and switch screens with a hotkey, but with no special effects (on-board unichrome graphics is not powerful enough).
    EPIA TC 1G 256MB 60GB Linux,WindowMaker, Roadnav, Xine, XMMS, iGuidance3
    Lilliput 8", Pharos i360, WUSB11v2.6 WiFi

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dupa2 View Post
      if you have any modern graphics card, you can try it, otherwise not worth trying.
      Obviously.
      Originally posted by dupa2 View Post
      I have each function on separate screen, and switch screens with a hotkey, but with no special effects (on-board unichrome graphics is not powerful enough).
      Why no speacial effects? It would bump up the cool factor a few extra notches.

      Do you know of anyone that's done this?
      -Billy

      Comment


      • #4
        The problem with special effects is that it requires better drivers than via currently offers. via unichrome drivers have known bugs with opengl.

        However, If you used an nvidia graphics card in your carpc, you could turn on all the effects you wanted.
        Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
        Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
        Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by kev000 View Post
          The problem with special effects is that it requires better drivers than via currently offers. via unichrome drivers have known bugs with opengl.
          I've never heard of 'via' before just now.

          Originally posted by kev000 View Post
          However, If you used an nvidia graphics card in your carpc, you could turn on all the effects you wanted.
          Sweet deal! Just what I wanted to hear. I've had my eyes on an nVidia Geforce for a week now (went nVidia because they have better support on Linux than ATI has to offer).
          -Billy

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm going to have compiz in my car when I finish my case and dash work, I'm using a micro-atx board with an integrated nvidia chip.

            Comment


            • #7
              yeah, by the way, what's that board, I forgot to ask you on last meet?
              EPIA TC 1G 256MB 60GB Linux,WindowMaker, Roadnav, Xine, XMMS, iGuidance3
              Lilliput 8", Pharos i360, WUSB11v2.6 WiFi

              Comment


              • #8
                its an evga nvidia 7150 based board, 2 2 gig sticks ram,an e8400 core2 duo, 60 gig sata hd connected externally via usb.

                Comment

                Working...
                X