Wow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow

So ive installed linux freespire on my carputer and man, it seems like a lot of work to get stuff working, is their an easy way to install my touchscreen software? I DL the drives for linux to a flash drive and i am going to try installing it that way since it wont load from the disk i have. Is there an easy walkthru guide on how to tune it up to how i like it and to get everything running?

I wrote a touchscreen howto a long time ago. You can find it here: http://nextabyte.com/wiki/index.php?...chscreen_setup

in freespire, if you want to go a bit easier, you can add the LinuxICE repository and install icetouch, and the evtouch driver:

apt-get install icetouch ice-evtouch
    run
    Code:
    sudo icetouch
    do the calibration, restart X and you should be good to go.

Note that icetouch is beta and it may not work at all. Lemme know if it doesn't and I can help fix those bugs so it does.

cheers
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

yea so i tried messing with it some more and i just cant see myself getting a hold of it, so i ordered vista.

Comment

should have gone with XP. Vista will give you even more troubles in the car. The audio mixer being the biggest problem right now coupled with the Aero evils.
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
          should have gone with XP. Vista will give you even more troubles in the car. The audio mixer being the biggest problem right now coupled with the Aero evils.
          I was running a laptop in before that had vista and i liked it.

Comment

Glad you liked it, you are the minority. Anyways, the problem is that software that controls the audio is all messed up because of the way vista handles audio. So since a CarPC is mainly audio, it is a pretty big inconvenience to say the least.
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

The movie title most appropriate to this is "There will be blood". Set your expectations as looooooooow as you can if you'd like to be satisfied with Vista in your car.
              Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
              http://hallert.net/

Comment

Not to mention how much of a system resource hog vista is. Thats why I switched.
                "Who run Barter Town?"

Comment

Originally posted by ls1bandit View Post
                  yea so i tried messing with it some more and i just cant see myself getting a hold of it, so i ordered vista.
                  I just watched an angel fall from heaven after what you just said.

Comment

Originally posted by kev000 View Post
                    I just watched an angel fall from heaven after what you just said.
                    And then it was run over by an 18-wheeler with this one...

Originally posted by ls1bandit View Post
                    I was running a laptop in before that had vista and i liked it.

Comment

sooo, because you guys dont like vista i should automatically not like it?

Comment

No, you should form your own opinion of it. We're just sharing our many poor experiences, there's always a chance you'll have one that differs from the usual. we've got our fingers crossed for ya!
                        Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
                        http://hallert.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Chairboy View Post
                          No, you should form your own opinion of it. We're just sharing our many poor experiences, there's always a chance you'll have one that differs from the usual. we've got our fingers crossed for ya!
                          That, and I stand by my opinion that you should choose the OS based on the software you want to run.

XP has the biggest software backing, better audio control for the CarPC, better compatibility with all the little hacks and such we CarPC users use, and it runs on everything from a M10k to a Core 2 Duo....

So, with that, XP is the natural choice. Vista has only downsides in the CarPC environment, hence the stupid choice. You wont (or shouldnt) see the OS at all once you get a working CarPC, so whether it is Vista or XP doesnt matter once it is installed. But what you can do on a Vista box is limited and slower compared to what you can do on an XP box..

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                            And then it was run over by an 18-wheeler with this one...
                            I cry myself to sleep every night because of you 2k1Toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by kev000 View Post
                              I cry myself to sleep every night because of you 2k1Toaster.
                              I cant sleep fearing you and the linux community are plotting world domination!

Comment

Working...
                              X