Linux Development

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Development

I am currently a CIS major and i have done alot of work in .net using c#. I Was wanting to move over to linux and start development and i think the nghost project looks tasty. What kind of tools and programming languages to i need to begin doing this? I like the gui working environment of .net and was looking for something in linux.

I work with .NET for my real job. You can still code for Linux in C# and get a lot of productivity. I'm working on a network manager dbus plugin for nGhost written in c# using monodevelop. I like monodevelop a lot. It's not as fancy as VS2008, but it does a lot of the same things well, and some things even better.

nGhost is written almost completely in c++. But addons can be in any language a developer see's most productive. For c++ you can either use monodevelop or kdevelop.

If you do feel like writing anything for nGhost using c#, let me know, I've spent a lot of time creating client assemblies that will help you out a lot.
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Eclipse is a really nice IDE for linux, I use it when developing in c++ but it's available for alot of other languages too. If you decide to go the c# route; which I'm a fan of since you can get alot done fast, monodevelop is nice as kev has said.
      "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
      RevFE
      My Shop

Comment

I have an idea for a completly embedded web interface. Imagine you car in your drive way and being on your home pc and doing things like syncing music, changing skins and config files, battery monitoring, gps tracking, and much more. It would be like a web interface to control and update without having to mess with your pc in your car. If you have internet where you car is parked the options are limitless.

Comment

Originally posted by smp4488 View Post
          I have an idea for a completly embedded web interface. Imagine you car in your drive way and being on your home pc and doing things like syncing music, changing skins and config files, battery monitoring, gps tracking, and much more. It would be like a web interface to control and update without having to mess with your pc in your car. If you have internet where you car is parked the options are limitless.
          I'm interested to know more details. There is great need for such an application. How do you plan on designing it?

BTW, how do you like your cobalt SS? pretty fun eh? I want to get my wife one (and secretly steal it from time to time...)

Comment

Yea the SS is my baby. I plan on running a small apache web server on my car pc that can be accessed by any computer through the web whenever my car has internet access. Im working on getting nghost running on my machiene along with eclipse with the C++ development evironment. When i get everything running i will let you know about the details. I read on the nghost web site about a web interface.

Comment

This is off topic but i have been looking at the Ubuntu Mobile and it looks awesome. If i get time tonight im going to install it and test it out. Have you tried to implement any of the features? Ill keep you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by smp4488 View Post
                This is off topic but i have been looking at the Ubuntu Mobile and it looks awesome. If i get time tonight im going to install it and test it out. Have you tried to implement any of the features? Ill keep you posted.
                nGhost1 did have a web interface for configuration settings. nG2 does not. I like your idea, there definitely needs to be a way to sync media and configure stuff from your desktop. We've discusses some ways to do this, but haven't had time/resources to implement anything.

How will you get around firewalls? At my home this is no problem cuz my router can forward whatever port I want to my carpc. but at work, I don't have control of the firewall there .

Ubuntu mobile and linuxICE share many things in common (matchbox window manager), interface guidlines, etc. However, the main difference will be the interface. nGhost and icepanel make up the LinuxICE interface while ubuntu uses hildon.

Comment

As for the firewalls, for now i want to get it up and running for use in my driveway then expand from there. Start small then work up. I got Ububtu Mobile going and i liked it but i wasn't impresses. I like the status bar at the top with the time, bluetooth logo, and wifi info. The interface is clean but i can see where they are trying to go with it. Why have you all decided to step away from hildon? Support is amazing. Just a few thoughts. I need to study but im having too much fun.

Comment

Linux Development is designed by keeping security in mind. Virus attacks are considerably very low in Linux operated system.Linux involves an easy installation process, known as graphical installation process, which automatically configures the system.Linux has a great pool of open source software.

Comment

........What?

Comment

Originally posted by strandtc View Post
                        ........What?
                        Heh!
                        "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
                        RevFE
                        My Shop

Comment

bahaha.... wtf, he made no sense.

anywho, smp4488 did you get the touchscreen to work properly when u installed ubuntu mobile?

Comment

LOL... [email protected]

Comment

Crack headz... they're everywhere.

where's the spam link?

Originally posted by tolender
                              The hardest thing with the newer linux/unix fad is the actual owner of the kernel code and development software . Correl linux is Government of canada operating system and it was for sale as Canadian linux 7.0 . People wanted packages ported over to the newer operating system and deskptop but due to legalities there was only what was registered as canadian software owned entirely by the federal Government of Canada . There is a like Yast setup tool on correl but that was cleared legally because the tool was originally bought out from canadian test for the Correl desktop but the old free type code was developed into Suse's yast which is legal in court in Canada . Canadian should only use the canadian Linux and unfortunately there is no support to all this Euro human computing gear and never will be because there is NO TRADE or actual link in existance with Euro thru the Government of Canada .

Good luck for anyone trying to linux or put any operating system with developer tools onto the dual 16 bit euro CPU systems that will work . Nothing of the Euro design will ever be for sale built canadian style because Nortel only builds analog and the military , the Canadian Forces native runs Canada's digital test and our gear is not the same quality as the northern Euro gear .

I was lucky to try out an old pair of eastern european binoculars and they were x50 in magnification they were used in a war in the 1930's in eastern Euro I was told . Those were the best binoculars I have ever seen for thier size just basic zoom in and they were about 1 foot long and a few inches thick , Canada has nothing like this today . This gear from eastern and weatern northern Euro was put together , the best of the best , the CREAM as Eric Clapton called his guitar gear he tested in the 1960's and now you have the new small computers built in Euro you enjoy in your cars .

Nothing like easy analog systems , the digital is hard to follow some days I studied linux for a few years just to grasp the operating system concepts but enjoy driving and be safe .
                              My stagnant project

Comment

Working...
                              X