Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu as a car PC

Hi there,

I just came across this site, so I am not sure if I will be teaching you guys to suck eggs... I am sure it will be useful for someone.... but basically I have a Sony UX1XN which I am in the process of adding Carputer functionality to.

I have a good working Sat Nav which can be seen here;
    [media]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zyGHaSoZcTk[/media]
    Instructions for installing it under Linux are available here;
    http://micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4828

I have also installed the newly created "Ubuntu Mobile" finger friendly GUI onto my existing Ubuntu Hardy install, which can be seen here;
    [media]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YGlaYL1Rav0[/media]
    and here;
    [media]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ZN7IzPsRg[/media]
    Instructions for installing this are available here;
    http://micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4829

I apologise for all the links but it beats re-posting everything.

What I want to achieve is the following;

- I want a sat nav and media device (other functions might be added later) on my UX1XN.
    - I want a docking station "hard-wired" into both my car and my other half's car.
    - I want an OEM-looking feel to the GUI for each car (a Saab look for mine and an Audi look for my missuses car).
    - I want the device to detect which car it's in and load the appropriate GUI automatically.
    - I want it to boot to a normal desktop when not docked in either car - again automatically.

I have plenty of ideas as to how I could achieve all of this (I am thinking seperate Audi and Saab logon accounts and a script that greps for the MAC address of the ethernet NIC of each docking station when it switches itself on)... but I thought I would ask here if anyone has either already achieved something similar or would be interested in helping out?

Many thanks for your time.

Dan

interesting post...thanks im gonna look into it as well

Comment

Originally posted by kabukijoe View Post
      interesting post...thanks im gonna look into it as well
      You're welcome - since joining here I have been looking at LinuxICE which seems pretty slick and I would like to incorporate elements of that into my 'build'. I'll post updates as and when.

Comment

that is great news!

Great news, now my ubuntu system can get beyond the hack UI. I've been waiting for something like this to crop up. Kudos to ubuntu.

Here's my thing: via epia sp8000, xenarc 700, navit, mplayer ...

My road trip is in a few days and hopefully I can get this on there.

Comment

music and video

Kind of confused. I got the new hildon xorg session setup. I fire it up, and can't seem to list any media in either video or music. Is there a home directory setting somewhere? why does every app show blank media list and no way to select a folder by default ... ?

Comment

Originally posted by rocken View Post
            Kind of confused. I got the new hildon xorg session setup. I fire it up, and can't seem to list any media in either video or music. Is there a home directory setting somewhere? why does every app show blank media list and no way to select a folder by default ... ?
            what are you using to play the media?
            Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
            Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
            Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

This looks realy nice.
              Onley it doesn't work for me
              When i try to make the file in this step.
              Ubuntu say that i don't have the rights to make the hildon.desktop file.

Thats it it is now installed and ready to use.
              To setup a separate X-session which will be available at login, here is how you could do it;

Create a file called;

Code:
              /usr/share/xsessions/hildon.desktop
              How can i start Hildon so i can test it on mine virtualbox.

Thanks,

Sal

Comment

Originally posted by MrSal View Post
                This looks realy nice.
                Onley it doesn't work for me
                When i try to make the file in this step.
                Ubuntu say that i don't have the rights to make the hildon.desktop file.

How can i start Hildon so i can test it on mine virtualbox.

Thanks,

Sal
                try creating it using the command 'sudo gedit /usr/share/xsessions/hildon.desktop'. That should overcome your permissions issue.

Comment

Tnx it is working now.

One question, i installed the green skin but how can i switch from the black skin to the green skin?

Comment

Tnx it is working now.
                    You're welcome

One question, i installed the green skin but how can i switch from the black skin to the green skin?
                    They are not really skins as such. but the command you need to launch the 'green' one is "desktop-launcher". Best thing to do is run it from a terminal window first. That way if there is any difficulties you can alt-tab to the terminal window and kill it from there.

I haven't had any issues with it however.

Dan

Comment

Yes it is working again tnx for your help

Now i need to install every thing on mine Carpc.
                      I go try it to install un linuxice.

Comment

I bet this isn't the place to ask.... I'm curious- how long does it take to boot on an average? both that Ice Linux and UBuntu..

I've got UBuntu on my laptop, but it takes a good 40 seconds or so for it to boot up

Comment

Originally posted by Esona View Post
                          I bet this isn't the place to ask.... I'm curious- how long does it take to boot on an average? both that Ice Linux and UBuntu..

I've got UBuntu on my laptop, but it takes a good 40 seconds or so for it to boot up
                          That really depends on an awful lot of variables. My system boots from cold in circa 30seconds.

Comment

the epia specific linux kernel in the LinuxICE repo had a cold boot of ~ 30s and a resume in 11. results here. NOTE: this was tested on an actual m10000 which isn't a very fast beast at all.

Some hackers at Intel were able to get the boot process down to 5 seconds. Getting your system to do this would require a lot of work. But they have submitted their code patches upstream so we should see their work in future versions of the kernel, Xorg, etc...
                            Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                            Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                            Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

so this is my first post over here in the linux side, and i just have a quick question. i am trying to get the whole ubuntu mobile/hildon desktop thing working and i just keep running into road blocks. i followed the instructions that were posted on the first post, to only mild success. I am able to switch sessions to start the hildon desktop. now i only get the top bar to which only the calander and keyboard buttons actually do anything. the rest of the screen is black with no icons whatsoever. im sure that i am missing some packages somewhere or am just not doing something somewhere right. Also i was able to get this to work fully in KVM on the ubuntu desktop, but obviously this is not what i am ultimately going for. i would like to have the hildon desktop replace the current one running in ubuntu.

i am fairly new to linux (my carpc is actually a mac mini) but i am learning fast and just need a nudge in the right direction. any help would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks in advance.

--I should note that testing is being done in a VM in OSX for the time being (my screen is busted in my car) so i am trying to get everything running in the VM, so when i get my monitor fixed i will be good to go all the way around.
                              Check out the new version of NAS, a cross platform music frontend here

Comment

Working...
                              X