USB Sound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Sound

I'm not too sure about USB Audio on Linux, as I've never had need or desire to use it. But now the PC I'm building uses a case so small I can't possibly fit a sound card into. Anyone use USB Audio? What I'm looking for is something with good sound and full Linux compatibility. I'm guessing USB Audio drivers are mature by now, but I honestly don't know. Anyone have some recommendations for a USB Audio device? The more features on it the better, but I really don't care too much as long as it works and sounds good.

Originally posted by nalav View Post
    I'm not too sure about USB Audio on Linux, as I've never had need or desire to use it. But now the PC I'm building uses a case so small I can't possibly fit a sound card into. Anyone use USB Audio? What I'm looking for is something with good sound and full Linux compatibility. I'm guessing USB Audio drivers are mature by now, but I honestly don't know. Anyone have some recommendations for a USB Audio device? The more features on it the better, but I really don't care too much as long as it works and sounds good.
    I would find the USB audio device on newegg.com or something. Then I would google: "[make+model usb audio] + Linux". That will usually tell you if others have issues with a particular model.
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

I don't need instructions how to google. I was hoping for some first hand information, since what I was able to dig up is mostly limited to "it works" or "it doesn't work" and little else.

Comment

I was hoping for some first hand information.
        And he just told you how to find it.
        Ampie Case
        2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
        256 MB DDR2 PC5400
        Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
        Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
        M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

what I was able to dig up is mostly limited to "it works" or "it doesn't work" and little else.
          But it's ok if nobody here has any information. "It works" is usually enough for me.

Comment

Kinda late but, I use this cheapo one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812186035

Works better than before when I had a cable running my audio (GRRR THE NOISE!!...now its gone)

the only bad thing is in Ubuntu I tried the audio in and the next time I rebooted it turned it into a line-in. basiclly talk into the mic and it would imediatly feed to the stereo. while still in bios, weird. I just turned the unneeded mic feature off.
            My Install: 2001 WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee (Ubuntu Mobile, Angel Eyes, Flowmaster 40)

Comment

That cheap thing works good? Sounds good and all? I might give it a try then. $8 isn't anything for me, so if it sucks it's not even enough for me to consider a waste

Would be possibly better if I had something with 2 outs, but I can work with 1 just fine.

Wow, just noticed, Newegg's page specifically says it supports Linux.

Your mic/line problem could very likely be solved with some alsa configuring, but it's been awhile since I got nitty gritty with alsa and I remember very little of it right now.

Comment

Working...
              X