Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a Linux distro frontend possible with moblin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is a Linux distro frontend possible with moblin?

    I have been using and programming for moblin quite a bit in the past week.

    the beta is extremely fast. on my quadcore computer it boots in under 3 seconds. on my aspire one it boots in <8 and fully usable in 10.

    then, you can rip out all the useless junk and use the frontend engine it already has to create a new interface for carpcs. this can only get better w/ development of moblin and advances in the new gnome interfaces.

    although i really dont have the time for it, i do believe that there is a possibility that a spinoff of moblin can be made specifically for carPC.

    I just wanted to know your opinions about the subject.. for the few linux carpc users out there.
    2004 Impreza WRX CarPC Install

    I am willing to host any legal downloads that may benefit the CarPC community - PM for info

    "When you go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, you don't need a made up character called fast. Thats what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

    DG4L

  • #2
    i think kev000 expressed interest in porting nghost to moblin. if it just had wifi snd touch screen support it would be a hit. i like how it boots so fast. still bugy though.


    Originally posted by Redian View Post
    I have been using and programming for moblin quite a bit in the past week.

    the beta is extremely fast. on my quadcore computer it boots in under 3 seconds. on my aspire one it boots in <8 and fully usable in 10.

    then, you can rip out all the useless junk and use the frontend engine it already has to create a new interface for carpcs. this can only get better w/ development of moblin and advances in the new gnome interfaces.

    although i really dont have the time for it, i do believe that there is a possibility that a spinoff of moblin can be made specifically for carPC.

    I just wanted to know your opinions about the subject.. for the few linux carpc users out there.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by unsungboxer View Post
      i think kev000 expressed interest in porting nghost to moblin. if it just had wifi snd touch screen support it would be a hit. i like how it boots so fast. still bugy though.

      yeh its very buggy but its still pretty much an alpha. its running chromium as the browser, which cant even do the most basic of functions yet (such as right click).


      as for touch support, i have been working on getting the 7 inch touchkit screen i put in my aspire one to work, after i figure it out it is the exact same screen as the lilliput ones.

      im working off of tslib but im getting pretty much nowhere. i have been talking to a couple of the devs for moblin in their IRC channel.. they will be putting more touch support in soon so it can be ported to phone/handhelds.. so it will come.

      as for wifi, it has one of the best connection manager imo. worked out of the box for me and is very simple and strong.
      2004 Impreza WRX CarPC Install

      I am willing to host any legal downloads that may benefit the CarPC community - PM for info

      "When you go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, you don't need a made up character called fast. Thats what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

      DG4L

      Comment


      • #4
        The Moblin distro is meant to be an example of what a Moblin "Compliant" system should be. There are many groups intending to create a Moblin compliant distro as well. Ubuntu is one, and I believe 9.10 will implement some of the fastboot stuff that moblin has brought to Linux.

        We are very much interested in the technologies being developed for moblin and hope to use those new developments (fast boot being one), in the OpenICE 2.0 stack with nGhost3.
        Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
        Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
        Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

        Comment


        • #5
          I couldn't get my touchscreen going with Moblin. Though, I didn't try very hard, I didn't really care enough. After seeing some screenshots I figured that the UI they provided in the beta (I've only had the alpha) wasn't too touchscreen friendly. Since I will most likely build the UI myself anyway (I'm VERY picky), may as well go with LFS instead which has been my original (and current) plan.

          Comment


          • #6
            Not Moblin exactly but Ubuntu Mobile yes, which is part of the same project.
            Ampie Case
            2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
            256 MB DDR2 PC5400
            Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
            Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
            M2-ATX-HV

            2005 Honda Civic

            Comment


            • #7
              Moblin has moved away from Ubuntu with version 2 from what I understand.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nalav View Post
                Moblin has moved away from Ubuntu with version 2 from what I understand.
                Correct. Moblin is not based on ubuntu in version 2 as they were with version 1. They are now fedora (RPM) based. But at the beginning of the day, all packages start as source, thus ubuntu is able to use moblin stuff and vice versa. Ubuntu, afaik, plans on being moblin compliant with their netbook remix and UME even tho they obviously aren't an RPM based distro...
                Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kev000 View Post
                  Correct. Moblin is not based on ubuntu in version 2 as they were with version 1. They are now fedora (RPM) based. But at the beginning of the day, all packages start as source, thus ubuntu is able to use moblin stuff and vice versa. Ubuntu, afaik, plans on being moblin compliant with their netbook remix and UME even tho they obviously aren't an RPM based distro...

                  +1

                  however, the moblin project now has done massive work to X11 and boot times.

                  my desktop boots in 5 seconds w/ it as i said. moblin although based on fedora is rapidly becoming much different than any other os.
                  2004 Impreza WRX CarPC Install

                  I am willing to host any legal downloads that may benefit the CarPC community - PM for info

                  "When you go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, you don't need a made up character called fast. Thats what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

                  DG4L

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by nalav View Post
                    I couldn't get my touchscreen going with Moblin. Though, I didn't try very hard, I didn't really care enough. After seeing some screenshots I figured that the UI they provided in the beta (I've only had the alpha) wasn't too touchscreen friendly. Since I will most likely build the UI myself anyway (I'm VERY picky), may as well go with LFS instead which has been my original (and current) plan.
                    i got touch working on my aspire one after a lot of pain w/ tslib.

                    however, i was talkin in their irc channels, and touchscreens are being worked on right now.
                    2004 Impreza WRX CarPC Install

                    I am willing to host any legal downloads that may benefit the CarPC community - PM for info

                    "When you go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, you don't need a made up character called fast. Thats what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

                    DG4L

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This could be a major change towards the rise of Linux CarPCs.

                      Please, keep us updated.
                      My project: double indash, Golf IV
                      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=841754

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X