RevFE - Linux style!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RevFE - Linux style!

RevFE now officially supports all you linux folks! Well... at least the ones running ubuntu. Attached is a .deb installer for ubuntu 9.04, but it may work for other versions. Unzip and Install it using your favourite Debian installer. The default music directory is ~/.revfe/Music as set in /usr/share/revfe/settings.xml so put your music in there, or change settings.xml to match where your music is. Once you install it, run RevFE by typing RevFE in any terminal window.

A word of warning, RevFE is a bit dep-heavy, due it it's using phonon and Qt. You may also need to install gstreamer's good bad and ugly plugins to play mp3's if you do not have an appropriate codec on your system already.

Edit 11/10/09:
    Removed link, see RevFE forum for latest linux version.

Edit 11/1/09:

Added some 0.43 changes, and fixed minor bugs that linux causes

Edit 10/28/09:

Fixed the crashing issue, as well as added the two taglib libraries to the dep list. Also added a feature where settings.xml defaults the music directory to ~/Music and the musicdir variable accepts ~ and replaces it with the users home directory.
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Sounds cool. how do you start it? I can't find the launcher, and running it in terminal as RevFE gives me a segmentation fault

Comment

It seems I forgot something, you need libtaglib. on ubuntu the packages are:
      libtag1c2a and libtagc0

I'll add them to the deb dependencies for the next version
      "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
      RevFE
      My Shop

Comment

I ran:
        sudo apt-get install libtag1c2a
        sudo apt-get install libtagc0
        They are both already installed.

Here is the output I get when I try to run RevFE from terminal:
        QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
        QThread: Destroyed while thread is still running
        QMutex::lock: mutex lock failure:
        QMutex::lock: mutex unlock failure:
        Segmentation fault

Comment

Try editing /usr/share/revfe/settings.xml to point the musicdir to ~/.revfe/Music

Its currently set to point to the executable directory, yet another mistake in my packaging. Sorry this is my first attempt at making a deb file
          RevFE
          My Shop

Comment

Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
            Try editing /usr/share/revfe/settings.xml to point the musicdir to ~/.revfe/Music

Its currently set to point to the executable directory, yet another mistake in my packaging. Sorry this is my first attempt at making a deb file
            I ran:
            sudo gedit /usr/share/revfe/settings.xml
            I changed the last line to:
            <plugin name="MediaLibrary">
            <setting musicdir="~/.revfe/Music"/>
            </plugin>
            Then I execute (because there is no launcher yet):
            RevFE
            It runs! I am not sure if the GUI looks as intended though?

Comment

It's a rather simplistic gui.. I'm no artist . Upon starting you should see something similar to this: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/revf...-frontend.html

As soon as I can figure out how to have it install a launcher in the menu i'll do that.
              RevFE
              My Shop

Comment

I will keep playing with it. It is not currently loading the media.
                Does this work with the openport USB cable?

By the way, great work!!! I am excited to see this front end come to ubuntu.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by the openport USB cable?

Media should be in the following format for it to be read initially:

MusicDir/Album/Mp3File.mp3

etc etc.

Though you can edit and save new playlists at any time, adding media from anywhere on your hard drive.
                  RevFE
                  My Shop

Comment

Not sure what you mean by the openport USB cable?

Media should be in the following format for it to be read initially:

MusicDir/Album/Mp3File.mp3
                    etc etc.
                    Though you can edit and save new playlists at any time, adding media from anywhere on your hard drive.
                    - By OpenPort, I am referring to this OBD2 usb cable (Commonly used by mitsu/suby/nissan tuners):
                    http://www.tactrix.com/product_info.php?products_id=49

-After reviewing your link, the gui still doesn't appear properly. Here is a screenshot:
                    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2677/...f9f904b7_b.jpg
                    (dont worry about the transparancey, that is just a compiz effect).

-Also, I have loaded the music as you suggested, but it does not appear in the GUI.
                    I hope you dont mind the feedback, Thanks again for your hard work!

Comment

I really do appreciate the feedback in getting this working. The GUI is showing up correctly, and I've managed to duplicate the media not showing up issue. I'll work on it and let you know

As for the OBD cable, there is an OBD2 plugin, which is compatable with ELM327 devices, but it's not currently released.
                      RevFE
                      My Shop

Comment

It seems you can't use ~ for the musicdir, you have to use the absolute path. In my case it is /home/michael/.revfe/Music (which is what ~/.revfe/Music expands out to)
                        RevFE
                        My Shop

Comment

It seems you can't use ~ for the musicdir, you have to use the absolute path. In my case it is /home/michael/.revfe/Music (which is what ~/.revfe/Music expands out to)
                          Changed line to:
                          /home/myusername/Music/
                          QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
                          QThread: Destroyed while thread is still running
                          QMutex::lock: mutex lock failure:
                          QMutex::lock: mutex unlock failure:
                          Media scanning finished. Total playlists found: 2
                          Starting to scan id3 tags
                          Segmentation fault

UPDATE:

Ran RevFE, went to Media Library and clicked some buttons. Now all my music shows up in Audio Player. Seems like the media library function has to be performed?

Comment

Try running it again. I've noticed a bug where it sometimes crashes in that fashion, I'm looking into it.
                            RevFE
                            My Shop

Comment

I've updated the first post with a new deb file which fixes the crashes, and also allows ~ symbols to be put in the musicdir.

You have to select a playlist from the media library before it shows up in the playlist, yes. It does not load any playlist when you first run it by default.
                              RevFE
                              My Shop

Comment

Working...
                              X