Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android Invasion

<--- without the thumbs up

I was reading an article on PC World just a few minutes ago.

I'm going to go out on the big limb and say, "android is going to be massive"!
    Like in Windows massive.

I have the feeling that the mass appeal factor by manufactures will allow android to take new and up coming OS based appliance market. More than likely within the next 2 years most of us will own a android something or another.

I've always wanted a smart-land line that allowed me to sync my cell phone, computer and telephone. That article brought one up. Too bad I'm too attached to the hip to my smart cell phone.

So, I'm wondering would it be smart to start looking into android options for a carpc?

This topic has been discussed to death!!

You can find at least 3 threads discussing just the pros and cons of android in the automotive industry. I'll save you pages of reading and give you the consensus-stock android will never work in a car but a custom UI could have some great potential.
    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
    - Always Recruiting Developers -
    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

thanks!

I must have missed those threads

Comment

Reasons Against:
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/linu...ory-carpc.html

Neutral:
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/andr...ould-rule.html

Pros/Cons:
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/linu...9-android.html
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/soft...potential.html

Theres more but thats what i found in ~5mins

Comment

Thanks for the links.
          I did find some after you mentioned that they were here already. I also went through the ones you provided.

The arguments are really standing up against android.
          However, I do see that a meego type of solution gaining ground in the carpc environment. While the typical win+fe users being those who want to do more with their hardware.

hmmmm, will mobile 7 make a difference?

Comment

Android, by itself, isn't necessarily BAD for a car. Certainly not any worse than windows or linux. It's just an OS. You shouldn't be interacting with the actual default shell in the car in ANY of these OS's.
            2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG
            Intel D945GCLF2 w/512MB RAM, CL Audigy w/KxProject, M2-ATX, Lilliput EBY701

Comment

I love my motorola droid to death and the Android OS. I read Tesla's new cars are going to have a stock 19inch touchscreen running Android. The Nissan Leaf will also have a powerful car computer.. I had to really outweight the benefits of putting a computer in my car, because all the best features I can allready do on my droid. The newer android phones have video out.. now, if the next generation can have a usb in to control the touchscreen... combine that with the beter processors coming out this year up to 2ghz dual core.. and you may end up with smart phone car computers all over the place. One thing that's cool is tethering my droids 3g internet using usb/bluetooth.

I love google's style, and Android will be a good OS superpower.

Comment

I think the HDMI on the Droid X is only for media output, I'm not sure if it actually replicates the UI. And android CarPC would have to be based on new, purpose built hardware, or on an android tablet, to get the proper touchscreen display.
                2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG
                Intel D945GCLF2 w/512MB RAM, CL Audigy w/KxProject, M2-ATX, Lilliput EBY701

Comment

True.. like the Tesla Android. I read that google is working on an car specific Android version for it.

Comment

some of those posts are quite dated this http://www.android-x86.org/ has released since then. Im looking to try it out sometime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by SLimp3car View Post
                      some of those posts are quite dated this http://www.android-x86.org/ has released since then. Im looking to try it out sometime soon.
                      No. The android x86 port has been around since nearly the beginning of android. The main arguments against android are still valid: it's not created with the car in mind. Also, because Android is not a generic Linux distribution (it's an embedded OS), you'll probably either need to buy a specific device with it preloaded or become a Linux hacker to get it to run on your own hardware. There's no guarantee that it'll have drivers for all the hardware you have. Also, you don't have authorization from google to access any app store, or any of the google apps that often ship on android phones.

So with all that in mind, why is Android better than say Ubuntu? At least Ubuntu has better driver and device support and it support nvidia and ATI graphics (and other closed drivers for wireless, etc).

And then there is MeeGo, which actually has a sanctioned development branch targeting the car and is more akin to a generic Linux distribution (and thus has better device and app support).
                      Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                      Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                      Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

hmmm, been thinking about this since I first posted this.
                        Actually, ahem ... trying to get XP + centrafuse working the way I want it too.
                        Yes, I know there is RR but I'm a mac guy ... the solution I used is what I thought to be the road of least resistance to meet my goals.

Now, that you know what I got going.
                        I'm going to be blunt and say that windowsOS is not what the masses want.
                        Throw in the good Ol' jests of bluescreen of death and what not ... I'm sure ... we can imagine what large corporations are considering when they look at their car's HUs ...

So, even though, I started with the android idea, I'm gonna put my money on android/meego for the car under the environment of a hidden OS. From what I've read here seems to be "an/me" are the 2 logical choices. I also figure that app markets will also spring up around the carpc.

I also thing bradchasse is right, your smartphone is gonna be a portable unit that docks and automatically connects to your car. However, I'm gonna ante up one extra on that and say that your SP is gonna be on you almost 24/7 replacing most PC usage even.

Google being a "good" superpower is ... well, let's wait and see.

I know that some of you will still hang-on to the old paradigm of a pc being more versatile but I ask, "For how long?"

IF, my idea is on target wouldn't it be smarter to gather the talent here and start moving on *nix base to grab mind share?

Comment

Tried them all...

Within month or two i have tried about every Linux based system there is.
                          Meego (twice), Androidx86, Ubuntu 10.04 and 9.10 with XBMC. Only 9.10 i managed to work with touchscreen. It seems that 10.04 has a bug that powerfully prevents touch to work...
                          Allso have installed LinuxICE 2.0 twice. That is pretty close, but i am waiting (very intrested) for the next release...

First lesson i learned, Android, no. Becouse it is not open is not really DIY fellows choice. More like car manufacturers, hw developers and so. Basically if you put it on PC it lacks many features and hw support that are designed for certain phones, iPad and so... So it is impossible to have drivers. So it seems to be quite hard to have std. touchscreen working on it (?). Allso Megasquirt control with Megatunix is impossible demand (?) Spotify Mobile was my main goal but it fell due that Spotify Mobile need spesific platforms. Non of the supported ones is x86.

Second, Meego IVI, allmost yes. I have to study it again. Very bare but intresting since it is open and basically you can install allmost everything in it...
                          After i can make it Touchsensitive i can warm more for it. But it most propably never has Silabs radio support? Spotify seems to work but it has similar problem as CF... It can be started but usage in a car is not good... Needs a plugin or something...

So, basically what i have tried to do, was to find solution whithout Windows... But there really are none
                          Not perfect one.
                          Atleast yet.

So it is quite possible that next summer it will still have WinXP+CF3.
                          Only if there were Spotify plugin for CF...

Perhaps IceLinux 3.0 will fulfill my future needs, maybe some nice Ubuntu based frontend that blows the bank? Who knows?
                          I mean Really, WHO KNOWS??!!

Comment

Originally posted by DCarputer View Post
                            Who knows?
                            I mean Really, WHO KNOWS??!!
                            Anyone who took the time to search the forums...

there is no linuxice3... tripzero has announced that meego will be the successor. Although as you can tell from trying the IVI builds-its kind of the afterthought of the 3.

Comment

Yeah, I've just run into the egalax touchscreen issue as well. seems to effect kernel 2.6.32+. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of it. It effects meego and ubuntu (and likely everyone else).

And yes, we are hoping to roll LinuxICE3 into meego. But there is lots to do to get it to what linuxice2 was.
                              Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                              Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                              Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Working...
                              X