Kernel-2.6.8.1 final testings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kernel-2.6.8.1 final testings

Me and my friend have managed to get 2.6.8.1 on EPIA-M with all the drivers included in about 3 secs. He is working on a 2 secs now.
    As I'm still working on a linuxbios side hopefully I can get ~2 secs there as well.
    Including 2 secs for the apps to start it should be ~7 secs cold start for the PyCar app on Epia-ME6000.
    What you guys think ?
    Car pc integration with ease
    Car mediacenter

Sounds good to me !!!

Keep us posted...

Comment

Damn, if only we had a good navigation app, I would switch immediatly!

Keep it up though!
      List of front-ends/usefull apps
      XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

Originally posted by JC-S60
        Damn, if only we had a good navigation app, I would switch immediatly!

Keep it up though!
        http://www.gpsdrive.cc/
        Destinator 3 For PC! - http://www.map-monkey.co.uk/

Comment

Going to post your kernel config? Do you have the -epia patch applied?
          System status: in progress

Comment

Impressive! keep us posted.
            Carputer installed!!!
            Nlited XP+Minlogon, EpiaM10k, 512mb, Seagate 40 gig 2.5" HD, FM Dlink usb radio, DWL122 USB Wifi, XMD1000 tuner, PT5071 6 amp regulator, Xenarc 700TSV, and 1 ikea key box.

Comment

Sure I post the config one we complete that. We were thinking to use suspend to disk, but it works the same speed in terms of kernel loading, so we ruled that out.
              Car mediacenter

Comment

Did you look at software suspend2? I had it installed on my epia system and it worked well even though the documentation said it was not compatible with C3 processors. From what I've read my impression is that swsusp2 is the fastest of the available suspend/hibernate methods.
                Carputer installed!!!
                Nlited XP+Minlogon, EpiaM10k, 512mb, Seagate 40 gig 2.5" HD, FM Dlink usb radio, DWL122 USB Wifi, XMD1000 tuner, PT5071 6 amp regulator, Xenarc 700TSV, and 1 ikea key box.

Comment

I tried that as well. It does not improve kernel loading speed at all.
                  And since my app is starting about 2-3 seconds, it wont help there either.
                  For heavy apps it might be an option though.
                  Car mediacenter

Comment

Have you looked at some kind of bootsplash support? It may make the boot time longer though... Which distribution are you working with?
                    Carputer installed!!!

Comment

Bootsplash was there already but we haven't spent time making the custom one. I don't think it'll make it noticably longer. But will definitely keep that for checking later.
                      I do not have any particular distribution. I build my own as it makes more sense. Just initrd and app over the framebuffer.
                      Here is the link to the very old one:
                      http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/p...0.iso?download
                      Car mediacenter

Comment

Have you thought about adding wine support? I realize that this will increase the size of things considerably; however, from what I've gathered others have had success running some of the windows gps software in wine. If for example we could run Ninja Monkey's D3 porgram in wine with your frontend we would have a really great software solution. Just a thought...
                        Carputer installed!!!

Comment

Any updates on any of this?

Progress: On hold while I pay off my new PowerBook :D
                          Part List:
                          VIA MII10000 - 512MB - 20Gig 2.5" - Rikaline 6010 - 7" Lilliput - CNX-P1260 - Alpine 4ch Amp - 4 Gauge wire and fused distrobution block.

Comment

Well there is an update. Real bad one. I just made a whole new package with touchscreen drivers and ran PyCar on top of the 2.6.8.1 and it crashed the system.
                            I suspect DirectFB HW acceleration does not like 2.6.*. When I switched back to 2.4.23 everything was fine.
                            So I'll continue working on 2.4.23 for now. The goal is to have 2 secs boot time+ 2 secs for app to start. Will see if it is possible at all.
                            Car mediacenter

Comment

Originally posted by jbors
                              The goal is to have 2 secs boot time+ 2 secs for app to start. Will see if it is possible at all.
                              Well personally...I can live with that

Good work !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X