Linux Forum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Forum

There was some discussion in the newbie forum about setting up a Linux forum for people to post their issues, concerns, ideas, etc. Doesn't seem to be any objection to it so if that could be implemented it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Dak TruckPuter:

Mac: - Researching and Awaiting Funds

Changed to planning for a Mac Mini Trukputer...w3rd.

I second that....
    Nate
    I know what yer thinkin...did he fire six shots or only five...

Comment

I agree. This is basically a quote from an earlier post of mine:

It seems everyone here uses MediaCar or FrodoPlayer but it would be nice to have a forum for Linux and other unices. This is important since our questions usually can not be answered by most of the Windows users. I believe (and this is a guess) that there are more Linux users than you may expect. Most of which are only interested in the hardware sections of the forums (since the is very little Linux coverage) Additionally, I think most Linux users have homebrewed software (at least I do) so it would be a good place for help and comments for development. This may also promote collaboration on projects and frontends.

~Llama

Comment

I'm a penguin hugger from way back. and dabble in both OS w/ equal dexterity. Would love to see linux too. --I suspect there are plenty of us out there who can provide help in either OS.
        •Micke

Comment

I agree... All the linux stuff is spread over the forums, it would be nice to ahve a forum as a starting point for discussing who's got what and how to get what available working.
          Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
          Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

yeah I think this would be a good idea.. I know nothing about linux. .but have always been interested in finding out, just never the time.
            Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

btw, maybe a *nix forum to emcompass other unix-like OS's which are just as suitable for in-car use.. such as the BSDs then we can all much in...

Although I'm easy... There's not that much difference to worry whether it says Linux so long as any in car *nix discussion is welcome
              Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
              Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Humm only six people so far... I guess most people don't check suggestions/comments unless they have a suggestion or comment to make. Stevieg: I agree, that why I mentioned other unicies in my post. Best to consolidate them all since they are so close (close enough anyways).

Comment

Sounds good. I'd like to go to linux platform on my car pc, someday.

Comment

I think its just the lack of easily configurable frontends that shy people away from using Linux. That and the fact they need to learn a new OS... But knowledge is power. Therefore Linux knowledge = Linux power.

Comment

Sounds good to me, i need to learn linux first, soon as i get a laptop hdd the desktop one is coming out of the car and getting linux on it
                      Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Just wondering what Distro's everyone runs? I've been a Gentoo fan for about 6 months now. I love the fact it is a source distribution, so everything is compiled for your architecture (this is a big issue on my 64bit machine) and you can tailor the system from the get-go. Oh yeah, and it's portage system rocks! Want to install firefox? # emerge mozilla-firefox and you are done, it will download the newest version, compile it, and handle all the dependances. I'd like to see FC do that.

Comment

there was talk a while ago (like 18-24 months) about making a linux distro for carputers. The vast majority of people here use Epia motherboards and either Xenarc or Lilliput touchscreens. Add drivers for the various more popular GPS units and the XM-PCR and DirectConnect and you'd have something serious.

But, I know enough about linux to know that I dont know enough. I leave it to you guys.
                          Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                          Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                          I'M DEBT FREE!!
                          I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Why don't you combine the mac forum with a *Nix forum. Mac OSX and linux use the same foundation, so it would be a good match
                            PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                            GammaControl v2.4
                            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
                              there was talk a while ago (like 18-24 months) about making a linux distro for carputers. The vast majority of people here use Epia motherboards and either Xenarc or Lilliput touchscreens. Add drivers for the various more popular GPS units and the XM-PCR and DirectConnect and you'd have something serious.

But, I know enough about linux to know that I dont know enough. I leave it to you guys.
                              All of the EPIA series boards are supported by Linux (at least all the functions I've tried.) As far as accessories go, Linux drivers are VERY easy to write, however I won't write them since I don't have any of the hardware you mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                              X