Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred distribution?

Woohoo! New Linux-specific forum!

As a way of getting things rolling, what distribution(s) do the GNU/Linux users prefer?

Simplified timeline of my history:
    ~1998: Found Linux, started futzing w/Slackware; stayed w/Windoze on the desktop
    ~2000: Tried Mandrake; recoiled in horror
    ~2001: Found Debian! Ah, mi amore. Briefly flirted w/Gentoo, then went right back to Debian
    ~2002: Said "so long!" to Win on the desktop. Couldn't have been happier. Now if only I could convince others...

∙ Installed a version of Caldera on a box before I knew a single *nix command. --that was a pretty steep learning curve.
    ∙ Installed Slackware on a laptop before they had drivers for video cards and had to manually configure the adapter and monitor parameters from scratch. --what a ride.
    ∙ Have spent time installing and configuring, RH, Debian, Mandrake, SuSE, Knoppix, Knoppix-std (GREAT FREAKIN' TOOL for forensics)
    ∙ I'm equaly at home infront of a BASH prompt as a C:\ prompt but only a little annoyed when vi doesn't work from C:\
    •Micke

Comment

Originally posted by rubicon
      Now if only I could convince others...
      Give us the specifics of the gps software you're running on your carpc.
      Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Ah....

Build a linux only box out of my friend's tortued Dell in a Mac case. This was around 2001. Got an 80gb HD. Installed RedHat 7.... I was like WTF. Installed Mandrake... it was slow as hell. Gave up.
        Attached Files
        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by Laidback
          Give us the specifics of the gps software you're running on your carpc.
          Haven't got it yet. But GPSDrive (http://gpsdrive.kraftvoll.at/) looks interesting.

I've read the arguments about the lack of certain features due to the non-commercial status of open-source software (z-order & one-way street data missing, for example), but I'm more than happy to see if GPSDrive, or something similar, fills my needs.

Hardware support looks good with gpsd (http://gpsd.berlios.de/hardware.html), so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
            Ah....

Build a linux only box out of my friend's tortued Dell in a Mac case. This was around 2001. Got an 80gb HD. Installed RedHat 7.... I was like WTF. Installed Mandrake... it was slow as hell. Gave up.
            Ahhh man! That's like a Frankenstein project! Reminds me of the kid in Toy Story who ripped his sister's toys apart and put them back together by mixing up all the parts.

Careful now, I'll have to report you to the Mac forum for abusing a work of art. Steven Jobs might fly down from Cupertino just to pay you a little visit...
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
              Ahhh man! That's like a Frankenstein project! Reminds me of the kid in Toy Story who ripped his sister's toys apart and put them back together by mixing up all the parts.

Careful now, I'll have to report you to the Mac forum for abusing a work of art. Steven Jobs might fly down from Cupertino just to pay you a little visit...

But my frankinstein project has been collecting dust for the past few years
              PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
              GammaControl v2.4
              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I started with RedHat 7...
                moved to SUSE 9
                then FC1 to FC2
                now on my laptop i run FC3
                my destop runs FC3
                and my car computer will be using a custom distro using the LFS 6.0 book...
                I had a perfect quote to go here,
                but hell only knows what I did with it....

Comment

I use Fedora Core & Red Hat a lot at work

Preferred distro is Slackware due to it's BSD-ness out of habit more than anything.

Obsessed with neatness of FreeBSDs port's system.
                  Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                  Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Are there any reasons that a certin distros would be better in a car envirnment then others?

I have worked with Red Hat, Fedora and mandrake, though not in doses
                    My Install

Software:
                    CFiG v1
                    iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
                    Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
                    StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

Originally posted by alti
                      Are there any reasons that a certin distros would be better in a car envirnment then others?
                      Not really.

Honestly, if you know what you're doing, its really just a matter of preference. I prefer Debian, and the philosophy around it.

The LiveCDs (Knoppix, DSL, etc.) are an easy way to get Linux on a system without having to install it, if you want a taste.

Comment

Slack on all server (all 20 other them!) desktops have Mandrax for it's "more like windows than redhat!" style :P I preference is for Slack it works no bull**** (sure the setup has not changed since V1.5.0(when I started with linux) but hey!)

carpc will have Zipslack running most likly when I find the time to program all the crap I need.
                        Peace
                        Mage
                        =Cars=-
                        2001 Kia Optima, V6 4matic fully loaded SE W00t! soon to have a Car pc.

Comment

I am a slackware guy also. I've got most of my machine running slackware and a couple running suse.

Just wondering how many of you have linux running in your car/truck? I am putting together my system to mount in my truck now and am wondering how many others are running slack in the auto.

Comment

Originally posted by qazmon
                            Just wondering how many of you have linux running in your car/truck? I am putting together my system to mount in my truck now and am wondering how many others are running slack in the auto.
                            Not running Slackware, but Debian (bits n' pieces of stable, testing, and unstable) at home, in the office, and in the car.

Comment

Started with linux back in 98 using Red Hat like 6 or something like that. Also dabbled in Gentoo and later versions of Red Hat and also some Caldera versions.

Used Slack for a while, didn't really like it then moved back to Gentoo but was too hard for me to use. Used some Mandrake and Suse a few years ago when I was a CS major.

Now I've moved on to Debian on my webserver and Fedora Core 3 (previously used WhiteBox and Red Hat Eneterprise 3) and am now staying with those two distros.

I love FC3, one of the easiest systems I have found and very powerful. I would recommend that or Mandrake to any beginner looking to start out in Linux.
                              Dak TruckPuter:

Mac: - Researching and Awaiting Funds

Changed to planning for a Mac Mini Trukputer...w3rd.

Comment

Working...
                              X