Linux Programming 101?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Programming 101?

Any recommended resources for learning linux it intrests me in that id like to learn it .
    I've only done some flash actionscript cgi and html but if i tinker with something long enough and take it apart i cant usually pickup most anything?

-Not so leet
    .______
    | '_ |__\___
    [(o)|___(o)] XB
    ._________
    | I__I I_I|_\__I
    [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

http://www.tldp.org/

Comment

There really isn't an 'easy' way to learn Linux. The best way to learn is it just commit to it. You can't learn something unless you really want to.

Here are a few tips:

a) if you know DOS inside and out, you'll probably take to learning linux pretty easily. You should look up a tutorial about transitioning from DOS command line. The most powerful things in Linux are done on the command line. The windowing system is just a way to display stuff. That's kind of tricky for Windows users to grasp. But if you've grown up with the DOS days, it's easier.

b) if you know nothing about DOS or command lines; but you aren't afraid to get into your system, you should probably start with a distro like Fedora. It'll give you some neat graphics, etc. but you can still learn.

c) if you know nothing about DOS or command lines, but you're pretty hardcore and can learn anything, try starting with Slackware. You'll learn a lot in the install process, and you'll learn a ton about how linux works by using it.

d) if you know nothing about DOS or command lines, but you don't want to move too fast; try using a user-friendly distro like Mandrake. It's a Windows-like version of Linux.

Regardless of the "distribution" of linux you choose, please keep in mind that it's not Windows. Linux acts differently and clicking in a certain spot may not do something that it might do in Windows. Once you get past that stigma, you can learn how to make Linux work for you.

Linux isn't for everyone. But for those that can hack it (no pun intended), there's a vast goldmine at the end of the rainbow. Following the red-brick road is learning about software, compiling code, hacking, tweaking, etc. The fun of it is the journey.
      DashPC - The Linux Car (since 1999).

Dash LCD, Via Epia, GPS, XM, OBDII, DSSC Shutdown Controller.

As seen in the book Geek My Ride

Comment

What is it specifically you want to do? Any C/C++ book will do, so look in that area. However stuff like "OpenGL Programming" will not work. Another alternative is to learn Java, then you will not have to worry at all about operating systems. I recommend trying both.
        Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
        Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
        sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

Depends on what you want to do. Some simple scripting, there are plenty of scriptable languages out there for linux. Few are TCL, PERL, and SH. IF you want to start programming, i reccommend you get 'The Joy of C' and start from there.(will also help you with windows programming). Depending on what you want to do after that, get into c++ blah blah blah. Im not sure if tldp.org will help you, as they are mostly how-tos unless they changed their selection. If you understand programming already, you could always: cat /usr/include and read code for a few weeks.
          Crouching Tiger, Drunken Kitty

Comment

Originally posted by lgbr
            However stuff like "OpenGL Programming" will not work.
            What do you mean by that?
            AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
            Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
            Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
            -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

I'd recommend using C/C++ because that is what pretty much every GNU/Linux application is programmed in. Well, except those in perl, python, bash scripts, etc.. There are some good books but I cannot recommend a single one. I believe "Advanced Linux Programming" is a good one.

However, before you go into Linux programming I would HIGHLY recommend gettting familiar with the Linux enviroment and how thing work in a Unix-ish operating system. To accomplish this I would recommend finding some tutorials on bash scripts. Writing bash scripts will get you to be familiar with the Linux directory structure. It will make you familiar with core utilities like cat, sed, awk, grep, etc. In addition it will let you see how things like pipes work, since you will be using those when you start writing programs with multiple processes. And of course you will become a CLI guru. If you want a decent book on Linux's details and how to write good scripts then PM me. I have a PDF from one of my professors.

Comment

learning linux or programming for linux? These goals are very different. I you want to truely LEARN linux then follow the lfs book. If programming is your goal and you already know c/c++ then I'd suggest Beginning Linux Programming 3rd Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by cyber
                  learning linux or programming for linux? These goals are very different. I you want to truely LEARN linux then follow the lfs book. If programming is your goal and you already know c/c++ then I'd suggest Beginning Linux Programming 3rd Ed.
                  the LFS Book isn't gonna teach you anything except how to install linux from scratch and setup certain common programs. Check out the Oreilly series of books for learning *nix systems and programs and languages.

as a note: the "in a nutshell" books are reference books, not learning tools...

A good book to start with:
                  Running Linux
                  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/runux4/

even has example chapters on upgrading the kernel
                  steven n

95 Saturn SC1
                  Alpine 9831 + Blaupunkt SR04
                  Stereo Integrity 327 Comps + MTX 4244
                  Resonant Engineering XXX 18 D2 + Elemental Designs Nine.1 + 7.5ft^3 tuned to ~29Hz

Carputer Progress: Rethinking, box has consumed my trunk

Comment

Could check out something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

I've also used the Linux Programming Bible which is a HUGE book and is pretty helpful. I didn't get very far in it due to other project but I'm sure it would be good for what you're looking to do.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

I like the 'Bible' books personally because when you're done with it, it still works as a really good reference to look back on.
                    Dak TruckPuter:

Mac: - Researching and Awaiting Funds

Changed to planning for a Mac Mini Trukputer...w3rd.

Comment

RealBasic/Gambas for them VB guys, QT/GTK for them c/c++ guys

Comment

Originally posted by brady
                        What do you mean by that?
                        He means that learning OpenGL programming won't do squat for one interested in learning GNU/Linux programming.

My advice: Pick up O'Reilly's perl programming books (esp. the "cookbook") whether you know perl or not.

If you know C already, developing for *NIX won't be a huge step.

If you've never seen a CLI before, set up a "scrap" machine and bang on it.

Comment

Originally posted by rubicon
                          He means that learning OpenGL programming won't do squat for one interested in learning GNU/Linux programming.

My advice: Pick up O'Reilly's perl programming books (esp. the "cookbook") whether you know perl or not.

If you know C already, developing for *NIX won't be a huge step.

If you've never seen a CLI before, set up a "scrap" machine and bang on it.
                          Ah, I thought he was saying that you can't program OpenGL on Linux machines

O'Reilly books are awesome.
                          AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                          Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                          Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                          -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

If anyone else is interested in the PDF it is available here: http://csciwww.etsu.edu/phil/unix-primer.zip It's not as complete as the O'Reilly materials, but it's reasonably good, and it's free. Great for anyone getting familiar with Linux. Also a very good reference for shell scripting and using unix utilities together.

Comment

be cool to make a front end using SDL

http://www.libsdl.org/index.php

Comment

Working...
                              X