Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iGuidance on Linux

Here is a tease, more to come very shortly:

Its not perfect, and even though in theory there should be no speed degradation, there is quite a bit of lag with refresh. It is however, a very very good start.

Comment

is it a port? or is it wine emulated?...or other?
      PC Components:
      Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
      My work log

Comment

WINE.

Actually, playing with it more it is really quick. The only thing is when you drag the map, it doesn't drag smoothly, it takes the whole screen with it and then redraws. It does it instantly though.

I've had some crashes, so I wouldn't say its usable..yet. This is the only thing keeping me from running Linux on my CarPC and its a pretty big disappointment to have to run Windows for that. If I can get this to work, I will be very, very happy.

Comment

Sweet.. nice work... I'm very interested in a Linux front end... with Nav....

And I have the same questions as Peoples..... (edit.. already answered!)
          CarPuter: Dell P3-500 Laptop; D-Link WiFi; Deluo GPS; D-Link Radio; iMac DVD w/ ide2usb
          Audio: Audigy 2 NX; Kicker KX700.5 amp; 20w center amp; Kicker L7 10" Sub
          Display: Lilliput 7" TouchScreen
          CarPuter Install

Comment

*sigh*

This is the same thing from keeping me from going to Linux. I rely rather heavily on IGuidance...

Are there any more GPS programs available for Linux?
            -=-
            TSOL
            Spreadin' the love ALL around, and layin' it on THICK!

Comment

I would love to be able to do this with Mappoint, too. iGuidance is really good for voice guided directions to most places, but that's it...

Comment

Well, it works, but I would say barely. Although I almost wonder if they are iGuidance bugs causing the crash. When 2.1 comes out, I'll try it again. We could always put a bounty on iGuidance under Wine. The speed is definitely there.

Comment

What version of wine were you using and did you have to do anything special to your config file to make it work?

-momanz
                  Carputer installed!!!
                  Nlited XP+Minlogon, EpiaM10k, 512mb, Seagate 40 gig 2.5" HD, FM Dlink usb radio, DWL122 USB Wifi, XMD1000 tuner, PT5071 6 amp regulator, Xenarc 700TSV, and 1 ikea key box.

Comment

I'm not even going to try to answer that. I tried normal wine, then I tried CodeWeavers, back to normal, somewhere in between it started working. If iGuidance worked better, I would be more concerned with being able to duplicate it. If I can get my hands on 2.1, I will see how that goes.

Comment

Hmmm I was afraid of that.

Good luck and keep us posted.
                      Carputer installed!!!
                      Nlited XP+Minlogon, EpiaM10k, 512mb, Seagate 40 gig 2.5" HD, FM Dlink usb radio, DWL122 USB Wifi, XMD1000 tuner, PT5071 6 amp regulator, Xenarc 700TSV, and 1 ikea key box.

Comment

GPSDrive is very good. You can get voice with that too I believe using festival - not sure if its turn by turn voice nav or just information that gets spewed out. GPSDrive also supports storing waypoints in mySQL... you can wardrive with Kismet and do the same thing the netstumbler with mappoint does.
                        CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
                        Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

GPSDrive uses raster maps, not vector maps, and does not support route planning of any kind.
                          System status: in progress

Comment

Any updates on IG stability in linux?
                            Current projects: iGmod reloaded (Latest release) (put on hiatus indefinatly)

Unlimited Internet and gps tracking for $6 a month with boost mobile!

Carputer 2: www.lmaocar.com

Comment

We need to start a WINE bounty for it and get some money in the pot. At this point, its not stable enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X