Xbox Carpc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox Carpc

Does anyone thinked to use xbox hardware in carpc?
    It is inexpensive and support linux (www.xbox-linux.org).
    I want to make my system with these type of HW, and Gentto linux distribution.

Please tell me if anyone would like to contribute.....

Bye!!!!

I've had a look into this, the major problem with the xbox is the limited amount of ram.
    Anything that doesn't require a large amount of ram is fine, but from what i've read GPS software are memory hogs, and Navigator which comes as a linux version requires 256mb ram, unlike the 64mb the xbox has.

Actually i was thinking how much resources gps software designed for mobiles would take, like destinator (no linux version though), and get that to work.

You will need to have the xbox modded in some way or another, look here for info.

Since my linux knowledge is very basic, it stopped me from actually implementing this, using it as a media centre

Comment

There are several peple with modded XBox's in their rides.
      Don't know if anyone's used lunix on one to have more functionality,though. It wouldn't surprise me.

This is where I'll tell you to search the forums for similar setups....
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by affie
        Actually i was thinking how much resources gps software designed for mobiles would take, like destinator (no linux version though), and get that to work.
        Has anyone tried to run destinator under WINE?

edit...
        I ed and found this... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27226. I know what I'll be trying as soon as I get home today.

Comment

Well, i hear the guys behind xbox media center are working on touchscreen drivers, so maybe at least that part will be taken care of.
          Tidder

Try RevFE
          The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Anything you ever wanted to know about Xbox:
            http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act=idx

Comment

yeah im doing the xbox thing now

i am jsut using UIX and XBMC untill theres proper touch screen tech for linux heh

but it would work fine not sure bout ram
              u can double your ram for round 100 dollars

Comment

As soon as there is a native (dashboard) based touchscreen driver I will be testing my modded xboxes in the car. At that point it would handle all the media center needs but still lack gps/xm.

You can bump the ram up to 128 in the xbox with an upgrade, which should help greatly, and gentoo can be optimized better than the standard xbox distro. Just waiting on ts drivers!!!!
                Thank You /////ALPINE
                7" Lilli. GPSlim236. Streetdeck. Mappoint. M9000. M2ATX, XMDirect

Comment

i dont mean to sound stupid. but spending all the money to mod the xbox would be the same as buying components for a carpc..and you wouldnt have to worry about Operating systems or drivers not working. its just a thought. i might do a modded xbox to store my games. throw it in the ride and hook it up to the computer via tv tuner capture box. wouldnt that just be easier?
                  i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

you can softmod an xbox for free. you can buy the xbox for $110-150 your choice. operating system (evolution x for example) is more stable than any windows setup i've ever used. keep it simple.

touchscreen drivers is literally the only thing stopping the xbox from being the BEST choice as far as media center apps, movies, music and games.
                    Thank You /////ALPINE
                    7" Lilli. GPSlim236. Streetdeck. Mappoint. M9000. M2ATX, XMDirect

Comment

Originally posted by EsKALad
                      i dont mean to sound stupid. but spending all the money to mod the xbox would be the same as buying components for a carpc..and you wouldnt have to worry about Operating systems or drivers not working. its just a thought. i might do a modded xbox to store my games. throw it in the ride and hook it up to the computer via tv tuner capture box. wouldnt that just be easier?
                      I modded my xbox for free, only thing was the 200gig hard drive cost me 150 bucks... softmod with hdd upgrade... I dont use it in my car though
                      e46|700tsv 2005 model|sb51g xpc2.4ghz opus 150|I-bus|XM Direct&cables | slim slot USB DVD-cdrw|Hawking 54g|iGuidance 2.1-HoluxGPS
                      sold it all... :-(

Coming Soon - 2007 BMW 335i UMPC install

Comment

you can softmod an xbox for free. you can buy the xbox for $110-150 your choice. operating system (evolution x for example) is more stable than any windows setup i've ever used. keep it simple.

touchscreen drivers is literally the only thing stopping the xbox from being the BEST choice as far as media center apps, movies, music and games.
                        Today 11:17 AM
                        Except its only got 64mb mem - and cant be upgraded buy the end user,
                        the extra memory has to be soldered on to the motherboard

and you could get a 700mhz computer for less than $50

cost
                        xbox ----------------$149
                        memory upgrade ---- $59 - has to be sent to someone
                        VGA adapter---------$30-50

thats about $200 for a computer not worth $50

and you still need to get a DC to DC converter - unless you want to
                        use a inverter - not that I dont want a XBOX - but cost wise its not a
                        good idea - and as far a stable goes - done right, XP is stable and will
                        stay running for weeks of use -

(1) ditch internet exploder, and use firefox,
                        (2) use good antivirus
                        (3) use some thing like spybot sd to remove spyware,
                        (4) run windows update
                        (5) Use real a firewall - not the windows firewall

and it works without problems or crashes

And if you dont like windows, use Linux

Comment

I know that a v1-v1.1 (not sure about later) can be upgraded to 128MB of Ram. If you look at the mem chips soldered on the m/b you will see blanks. These blanks can house addtional memory, up to 128MB. The only problem I see is getting the mem chips on the m/b. It's a project & I haven't done it, but it can be done. Just check www.xbox-scene.com

EDIT: Wow, I need to read more closely, b/c Will already beat me to it
                          "I'm a dick!"
                          "I must seek knowledge and it's bastard son truth" - The State

Comment

Working...
                          X