Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What wireless network adapter are you using in Linux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What wireless network adapter are you using in Linux?

What wireless network adapter is everyone using. What drivers?

I have a Linksys USB (WUSB54G) running using ndiswrapper (Debian sarge).

What other wireless cards have you had success with? What drivers?
    -pkg

Check out my tC: http://publicjestering.com/tc
    Check out my site: http://publicjestering.com

I am using a Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card in my laptop, can't remember which driver, it got automatically detected when I installed it

Comment

dlink g650 rev a1
      steven n

95 Saturn SC1
      Alpine 9831 + Blaupunkt SR04
      Stereo Integrity 327 Comps + MTX 4244
      Resonant Engineering XXX 18 D2 + Elemental Designs Nine.1 + 7.5ft^3 tuned to ~29Hz

Carputer Progress: Rethinking, box has consumed my trunk

Comment

DWL-G650(pcmcia) or DWL-G520(pci) i'm using a rt2500 asus wifi-g(pci) in freeBSD/but works on linux..none of them needs the ndiswrapper...all of them have kismet and airsnort
        In a world without Gates and Windows there are no fences or walls!!

Comment

Orinoco Gold PCMCIA
          Aultl
          [====---] - 65% complete
          VIA Epia 800mhz, 256Mb ram, 10Gb HD

Quote of the Month: "I see the problem, [The RAID controller] is trying to rebuild the array with good data from a failed drive." -- HP Support

Comment

The Orinoco cards seem to be the best IMHO. From what I have seen the wavelan driver is rock stable and likes to play nice with apps like airsnort. Now only if my EPIA board had a PCMCIA slot :\.
            -pkg

Comment

I guess I should have clarified that.. I have an Orinoco Gold PCMCIA that I use on my laptop because my Carputer is not installed yet I have not given much thought to it but am planning on doing a USB 802.11 adapter.
              Aultl
              [====---] - 65% complete
              VIA Epia 800mhz, 256Mb ram, 10Gb HD

Quote of the Month: "I see the problem, [The RAID controller] is trying to rebuild the array with good data from a failed drive." -- HP Support

Comment

Originally posted by aultl
                I guess I should have clarified that.. I have an Orinoco Gold PCMCIA that I use on my laptop because my Carputer is not installed yet I have not given much thought to it but am planning on doing a USB 802.11 adapter.
                I had to use the ndiswrapper for the linksys USB. The ndiswrapper package isn't as hard to use as the documentation says. Let me know if you end up needing ndiswrapper, I can help you with it. Unfortunately I havent seen any easily available (read at best buy) USB NICs that have native Linux drivers. If you are researching them let us know what you find.
                -pkg

Comment

I am running an orinoco silver (pcmcia) a orinoco miniPCI and a Netgear WG511 (prism54) Have to get my car PC back together one day (or make a new one)
                  CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
                  Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

I am using a Linksys WPC54GS in one unit and Edimax EW-7108PCg cards in other units I've built. The Linksys works okay using ndiswrapper but is flakey at times, usually with regards to hibernation. The Edimax on the other hand is rock-solid with zero problems using the rt2500 module.
                    Silverwolf 2 is dead.
                    Silverwolf 3...?

Comment

D-link g510 rev b3 with madwifi-cvs in gentoo
                      Still not 100% reliable. It seems to turn itself off at random intervals, but I can't find the problem. A /etc/init.d/net.ath0 restart solves all problems

Just something to keep in mind if you get this card

Comment

D-Link DWL-122 is a good adapter, it is done with Prism2 chip, that is supported by linux-wlan-ng. you can hack the stick and solder a connector (or direct) for bigger antenna, instead of a tiny antenna, that it have
                        '93 Opel Vectra A with Custom Dash with 7" lilliput
                        VoomPC/M1-ATX/M10K/256 RAM/20GB 2,5' HDD/Gemtek USB Radio/WinLite/RoadRunner
                        http://zvi.home.ge/pics/?dir=vextra

Comment

Get one with an Orinoco or Prism chipset

Comment

We use the SMC2532W-B card(200mW) or the senao(+ext version).... Both are supposedly 200mW and both do have external antenna connections for dual antenna (diversity, 1 conection is TX+RX, the other is RX only.)

These work on the 2.4 kernel, but I have yet to test them on the 2.6 kernel...
                            We use slackware, but I am trying gentoo and knoppix just to see how well it works....it doesn't so far... but, I'm still trying to figure this whole linux "fad" out

I know these work, and they are high-power......

One thing to note:
                            The SMC cards have changed revision over the last few months.... There isn't any change in model number, but the serial number will have the form of:
                            S33HP55NUXXXXX or some variation where the 6th and 7th digit seem to denote the Firmware or hardware revision.....

The 55 is good, the 56 is not, the 58 is the next one(as far as I can tell). The 56 doesn;t like "auto" power... it will drop the signal to -43db and won't self adjust to seek a signal..... So avoid the 56 series

Good Luck
                            EPIA M10000, 512 Ram, Opus 90, GPS, XM, 7" Xenarc, Pioneer HU
                            Installed & Working....
                            Custom enclosures
                            Newbie Guide

Comment

Originally posted by pkg
                              The Orinoco cards seem to be the best IMHO. From what I have seen the wavelan driver is rock stable and likes to play nice with apps like airsnort. Now only if my EPIA board had a PCMCIA slot :\.
                              A PCI to PCMCIA converter would work. The PCI wireless cards are exaclty this. A cheap linksys 802.11b PCI card runs a PCMCIA card.

Comment

Working...
                              X