50 Mb linux install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Mb linux install

well as stated in the title, is a 50mb linux install impressive? well iv achieved it thats why im asking, doesnt nobody want to know?

Alright, I'll bite.

What can it do?

Comment

not bad, ive seen 8 mb.. but ya what packages do you have included?

Comment

XMMS (MP3, CD Music, and MPEG), FTP client, Dillo web browser, links web browser, FireFox, spreadsheet, Sylpheed email, spellcheck (US English), a word-processor (FLwriter), three editors (Beaver, Vim, and Nano [Pico clone]), graphics editing and viewing (Xpaint, and xzgv), Xpdf (PDF Viewer), emelFM (file manager), Naim (AIM, ICQ, IRC), VNCviwer, Rdesktop, SSH/SCP server and client, DHCP client, PPP, PPPoE (ADSL), a web server, calculator, generic and GhostScript printer support, NFS, Fluxbox window manager, games, system monitoring apps, a host of command line tools, USB support, and pcmcia support, some wireless support.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Comment

nice, though do you really need the ADSK/PPP/PPPoE? And also dillo is a great small browser but it lacks features maybe dont even use it? Cause id just use lynx/links with FB and its better than dillo, just a FYI

for the web server are you using apache, tom cat or somthing alot smaller than those? Also for a sql server Id suggest SQLITE for a smaller sql database if you want that.

other than that, looking good

Comment

I've been messing with DSL for a long time - Quite impressive, and easily updated to other packages that are more useful (firefox for example).

Might also want to check out PuppyLinux & SLAX - Both are formidable, albeit bigger than DSL. My goal was to load the whole OS into RAM for in-car use, and all three are capable of this, as well as boot from usb key.

Check em out!

Now to beat a dead horse: PLEASE OH PLEASE GET IGUIDANCE TO WORK ON LINUX!
            -=-
            TSOL
            Spreadin' the love ALL around, and layin' it on THICK!

Comment

I'm sure people are going to start asking about linux distributions to use, so I thought maybe people could use this link:

http://bengross.com/smallunix.html
              My carputer project

Comment

Working...
              X