A quick question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick question

Most "real" in car computer style systems don't use a customized "opperating sytem" that only does a few specific function like lauch other helper apps.Wouldn't it be possible to use this same idea and build a stripped down linux kernel as a frontend. The desktop would have icons that could open up maby like 5 simple apps such as gps, mp3s, movies, diagnostics and whatever else and the rest of the computing power isn't waisted on other unused computer functions. Would this be possible or is this just a stupid noob question?

people are actually doing this. Like you said, some people use a desktop. I, on the other hand, use a graphical VFD and a tight little interface. The Linux forum goes over this stuff but it is still young.

I don't know if you are familiar with the Empeg (later known as the Riocar) but it is the first mass produced linux-based car player.

The moral of the story: Linux kicks ***.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLlama
      The moral of the story: Linux kicks ***.
      Well you won't get any arguement from me there

Right now I'm sort of in the middle - using a desktop distro stripped down to the essentials. When I have the time to build another prototype I can keep on my desk to pound on I'd like to build an "embedded" version of what I have now without all the X overhead, etc.
      Silverwolf 2 is dead.
      Silverwolf 3...?

Comment

Originally posted by intuitionsys
        Well you won't get any arguement from me there

Right now I'm sort of in the middle - using a desktop distro stripped down to the essentials. When I have the time to build another prototype I can keep on my desk to pound on I'd like to build an "embedded" version of what I have now without all the X overhead, etc.
        This is what I am doing as well, I run X but am not running a desktop OR window manager. (no pics yet. design bug needs to be worked out first )
        -pkg

Check out my tC: http://publicjestering.com/tc
        Check out my site: http://publicjestering.com

Comment

Working...
        X