Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sound cards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • sound cards

    im getting closer and closer to getting my carpc done n installed but i can't seem to find a good sound card that'll work well on linux...

    it must have seperate rear, front, and sub outs because im going out to a 4-ch amp and a sub amp directly from the sound card.

    best case scenario, it has a remote control that is compatible with linux but i could do without.

    so, what would ya guys use?

  • #2
    I have been looking at the Audigy2 NX USB. My system does not have PCI so USB (or firewire) is how I have to go. I haven't done all of my research yet but this is the way that I am heading.
    -pkg

    Check out my tC: http://publicjestering.com/tc
    Check out my site: http://publicjestering.com

    Comment


    • #3
      i have the audigy nx usb. it works fine. i have not tried more than two audio channels. the remote control does work, but it takes some effort to get it going (with lirc). i also have not used it with usb2 yet. i have not tried recording. i have not tried all the alsa settings yet.

      annoying things:
      1. when powered on (it does auto turn-on if it was last left on when power was cut) it automatically mutes. once alsa drivers are loaded, you have to unmute it (ie in a script). also applies when resuming and power to nx was cut.
      2. it does not do hardware mixing, so software mixing, if you need it, is the only option
      3. it seems to have (last i had my system running about 3 weeks ago) a problem resuming/powersave, along with many usb devices in linux
      4. it can only do playback at one frequency, i think 48kHz. This is a problem because cd audio is at 44.1kHz (again, not sure about exact freq.). This in turn requires upsampling (leading to processor time) to be done when ripping or playing from a cd. on the upside, i have a 400MHz celeron that seems to handle dvd playback, simultaneous ripping/playing of an audio cd, so it may not be an issue

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ruzzmon
        3. it seems to have (last i had my system running about 3 weeks ago) a problem resuming/powersave, along with many usb devices in linux
        I'm having the same resuming problem with my Lola remote (ATI variant). After resuming, the ati_remote module can be reloaded (along with the rest of the usb-related modules) but the data it sends to /dev/input/eventX is corrupt. I didn't have this same problem with swsusp (using swsusp2 now) so I've had to revert back to a standard shutdown until I figure out a solution.
        Silverwolf 2 is dead.
        Silverwolf 3...?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by intuitionsys
          I'm having the same resuming problem with my Lola remote (ATI variant). After resuming, the ati_remote module can be reloaded (along with the rest of the usb-related modules) but the data it sends to /dev/input/eventX is corrupt. I didn't have this same problem with swsusp (using swsusp2 now) so I've had to revert back to a standard shutdown until I figure out a solution.
          it seems as though the latest mm kernel has some major upgrades to usb: 2.6.14-rc5-mm1 Changelog (see first bullet). i suggest trying to emerge mm-sources and compiling a kernel. maybe it will solve your problem. i will also be trying that as soon as i can fix the vga connector (seems to be a loose connection somewhere)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ruzzmon
            i have the audigy nx usb. it works fine. i have not tried more than two audio channels. the remote control does work, but it takes some effort to get it going (with lirc). i also have not used it with usb2 yet. i have not tried recording. i have not tried all the alsa settings yet.

            annoying things:
            1. when powered on (it does auto turn-on if it was last left on when power was cut) it automatically mutes. once alsa drivers are loaded, you have to unmute it (ie in a script). also applies when resuming and power to nx was cut.
            2. it does not do hardware mixing, so software mixing, if you need it, is the only option
            3. it seems to have (last i had my system running about 3 weeks ago) a problem resuming/powersave, along with many usb devices in linux
            4. it can only do playback at one frequency, i think 48kHz. This is a problem because cd audio is at 44.1kHz (again, not sure about exact freq.). This in turn requires upsampling (leading to processor time) to be done when ripping or playing from a cd. on the upside, i have a 400MHz celeron that seems to handle dvd playback, simultaneous ripping/playing of an audio cd, so it may not be an issue
            What modules/drivers are you using?
            I just got an NX for myself.
            -pkg

            Check out my tC: http://publicjestering.com/tc
            Check out my site: http://publicjestering.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ruzzmon
              it seems as though the latest mm kernel has some major upgrades to usb: 2.6.14-rc5-mm1 Changelog (see first bullet). i suggest trying to emerge mm-sources and compiling a kernel. maybe it will solve your problem. i will also be trying that as soon as i can fix the vga connector (seems to be a loose connection somewhere)
              Actually I'm dumb. I read through the gentoo wiki re swsusp2 and everything they said was true. All the USB (the major ones anyway) modules survive suspending since 2.6.9 (I'm using 2.6.13.4). I was assuming everything had to be dumped and it was just confusing the heck out of the ati_remote module. After making the necessary changes to my hibernate.conf, a small script and some minor frontend code changes, life is good. 15s to music, 20s to full usability. And none of the downright weirdness (at least not yet) I had with the SuSE 9.3 based distro and swsusp on 2.6.11. Gentoo rocks. Amen.
              Silverwolf 2 is dead.
              Silverwolf 3...?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by pkg
                What modules/drivers are you using?
                I just got an NX for myself.
                i use alsa and therefore disabled oss in the kernel. disable usb sound (in usb drivers) since thats specifically for usb speakers/mics/etc. and then enable (modular is probably your best bet) usb-audio in the kernel. depending on which kernel (and somewhat which distribution) you use, you should have the latest alsadrivers. you will most likely want alsatools. alsalib and alsaheaders may be useful as well, but i don't remember what they're used for.

                let me know how your audigy responds to hibernate/resume functions (and type, ie swsusp2, s3/s4, etc), and also what distribution you use.

                Originally posted by intuitionsys
                Actually I'm dumb. I read through the gentoo wiki re swsusp2 and everything they said was true. All the USB (the major ones anyway) modules survive suspending since 2.6.9 (I'm using 2.6.13.4). I was assuming everything had to be dumped and it was just confusing the heck out of the ati_remote module. After making the necessary changes to my hibernate.conf, a small script and some minor frontend code changes, life is good. 15s to music, 20s to full usability. And none of the downright weirdness (at least not yet) I had with the SuSE 9.3 based distro and swsusp on 2.6.11. Gentoo rocks. Amen.
                so you just restart the usb modules after resume and everything works fine? i have a few other issues that need to be worked out before i can say that hibernate/resume is good for me, especially with my external dvd drive, unfortunately.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ruzzmon
                  so you just restart the usb modules after resume and everything works fine? i have a few other issues that need to be worked out before i can say that hibernate/resume is good for me, especially with my external dvd drive, unfortunately.
                  I don't restart the usb modules at all. That was what was causing my problems. From what I've read they only recover properly as modules though, not compiled into the kernel, even though you're not restarting them. The only modules my particular setup has to reload are ivtv (for hauppage PVR250), rt2500 (for Edimax PC7108G) and sd_mod (one of several drivers needed for accessing a USB thumbdrive but that's the only one that needs restarting). If you're not restarting sd_mod, that may be part of your problem? Possibly sg as well? Is it a firewire or USB external drive? When I had a firewire external DVD drive I don't recall having to restart anything firewire specific, but I was using swsusp back then not swsusp2.
                  Silverwolf 2 is dead.
                  Silverwolf 3...?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by intuitionsys
                    I don't restart the usb modules at all. That was what was causing my problems. From what I've read they only recover properly as modules though, not compiled into the kernel, even though you're not restarting them. The only modules my particular setup has to reload are ivtv (for hauppage PVR250), rt2500 (for Edimax PC7108G) and sd_mod (one of several drivers needed for accessing a USB thumbdrive but that's the only one that needs restarting). If you're not restarting sd_mod, that may be part of your problem? Possibly sg as well? Is it a firewire or USB external drive? When I had a firewire external DVD drive I don't recall having to restart anything firewire specific, but I was using swsusp back then not swsusp2.
                    you're right, i had major problems with rmmoding sr_mod. there was a big problem with the code that has hopefully been fixed recently, not sure. it would hang and the process wouldn't die, etc. sg seems to be fine. i tried both firewire and usb, both require sr_mod of course. also, if you were using a 2.4 kernel before, that would be why sr_mod was working fine. it broke after 2.6 was released, i think. i was using a dual usb/firewire enclosure, both suffered from the failure of sr_mod, so i gave up for the time being, waiting for the scsi programmers to fix the code.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ruzzmon
                      you're right, i had major problems with rmmoding sr_mod. there was a big problem with the code that has hopefully been fixed recently, not sure. it would hang and the process wouldn't die, etc. sg seems to be fine.
                      Okay we're on the same page wrt that anyway. I have no probs with sg either.

                      Originally posted by ruzzmon
                      i tried both firewire and usb, both require sr_mod of course. also, if you were using a 2.4 kernel before, that would be why sr_mod was working fine.
                      Nope I was using a 2.6.11 stock SuSE kernel and it worked fine (as far as accessing the drive goes). My drive showed up as /dev/sr0.

                      Originally posted by ruzzmon
                      it broke after 2.6 was released, i think. i was using a dual usb/firewire enclosure, both suffered from the failure of sr_mod, so i gave up for the time being, waiting for the scsi programmers to fix the code.
                      Mine was a USB/Firewire drive as well but I only used the firewire. When I would hibernate with Xine playing a movie and then resumed, Xine would "go banannas" fast forwarding and skipping frames and then settle down about a minute later. My solution was to send my frontend a signal that we are about to hibernate that would in turn pause Xine before hibernating. When I resumed it would still skip some frames but playback was smooth within about 10s or so. It didn't work perfectly every time though.

                      Now that I have hibernation working well wrt to audio only, I've been testing resuming with a movie going and the suspend does appear to hang (or at least takes a very long time) although I haven't checked the logs yet to see what the culprit is. Have you tried hibernating with/without reloading sr_mod with nothing actually using it?
                      Silverwolf 2 is dead.
                      Silverwolf 3...?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I've got an M-Audio Revolution 7.1. The way the ALSA mixer sees it is somewhat funky, each of the channels is discrete (as well as the various DSP devices on the card), so rather than having a master volume control to adjust, say, the front channels (left+right), the ALSA master volume can only be linked to one channel. I'm considering a Creative Labs product to replace it, which is unfortunate, as the Revolution has excellent audio quality.
                        System status: in progress

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Check out this list of Sound Cards that work on the Linux Kernel 2.6
                          http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X