Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Linux w/ Lilliput 8" Touchscreen LCD

Hello all,

I just received my Lilliput 8" touch screen today. I hooked it up to my Mac Mini and reinstalled Mac OS X to make room for Linux. Once done, I attempted to put Fedora Core 4 Disk #1 of 4 in and boot the installer. I get to the boot prompt just fine, but when a type "linux" -- or press enter -- and it boots linux up, the screen immediately starts to flicker and "roll".

Does anyone know what settings I may need to pass on the kernel command line to resolve this rolling issue? Is it the refresh rate set?

Thanks,
    -DJBS

dont double post one area is enough
    i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

Originally posted by EsKALad
      dont double post one area is enough
      What if the person who has the answer I'm looking for (instead of a smart a** comment) only reads one or the other thread? I didn't see a thread labeled "Linux and LCD screens", did I miss it somewhere?

-DJBS

Comment

hey **** you and don't double post.

edit:: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53361
        My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
        2 Kicker Comp 10"
        Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
        Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
        Check it out?!

Comment

Originally posted by Pudge
          hey **** you and don't double post.

edit:: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53361
          It really isn't my problem that someone can't tell whether a post was the same/similar on a different thread - maybe they should stop drinking so much. Also, just because it shows up on the main home page for the next 30 minutes doesn't mean that someone who may read one forum and not the other will see it during that specific time frame.

I really hope there are other people who aren't as stuck up here on these forums, otherwise I'm wasting my time.

-DJBS

P.S. Happy Thanks Giving to all the non-stuck up people out there.

Comment

Most people aren't stuck up. We're not either. We didn't insult you, or tell you search, or call you stupid. If I could help you, I would.

But, what we are telling you is that if you use the forums to get help, don't **** all over them by double posting and getting upset with people who expect you to follow the rules.
            My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
            2 Kicker Comp 10"
            Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
            Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
            Check it out?!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Pudge
                Most people aren't stuck up. We're not either. We didn't insult you, or tell you search, or call you stupid. If I could help you, I would.

But, what we are telling you is that if you use the forums to get help, don't **** all over them by double posting and getting upset with people who expect you to follow the rules.
                If I was asked nicer to not post on multiple threads, then I would've apologized and moved on. I did not realize it was "against the rules", otherwise I wouldn't have done it in the first place.

-DJBS

Comment

Found a workaround/fix

Hello all,

I wanted to post an update and let everyone know I found a solution for this in case anyone else runs into the same problem. Without finding anything on the web, I decided to dive into Linux kernel sources myself and I found several interesting things.

Linux attempts to detect the video card in the PowerMAC it is running on (Mac Mini in my case), and then tries to sense what kind of monitor is connected. Based on these values, it sets the internal frame buffer (macfb) to specific values (resolution, refresh, etc). It looks like this driver doesn't allow you to manually specify which mode to use. I will probably add a way to do this later, and figure out what "mode" the Lilliput likes best.

I found that if you pass "video=ofonly" to the kernel command line, it uses whatever the open firmware has already setup. This seems to work fine for me, and I am now on my way to installing FC4. I think most people don't hit this problem because they install in their house with a normal monitor, and then hook it up to the Lilliput Touch LCD screen in their car afterwards.

I'll post another update once I've completed my installation, just in case I've hit any other issues.

-DJBS

Comment

Originally posted by DJBigShow
                    If I was asked nicer to not post on multiple threads, then I would've apologized and moved on. I did not realize it was "against the rules", otherwise I wouldn't have done it in the first place.

-DJBS
                    if you were asked nicer? were not here to kiss your ***. and if you realize i didnt give you attitude or anything like that when i informed you not to double post. i was giving you a heads up not only because its against the rules but because the guys here will flame the **** out of you. but since you think my comment was a smart *** comment i hope they burn the **** out of you. FLAME ON!

Comment

-DJBS

dont doublepost u hummer loving hoe **** HUMMERS AND DOUBLE POSTERS!

Comment

Seriously guys quit being so immature, it is fine to let him know not to double post but all this other chatter is BS. Also, it is a little hypocritical that you are conseling him for violating the rules when 9 out of the 11 last posts have been offtopic for this thread.

Comment

dangerzone

wow. djbs is the only one here who has posted anything useful. most of the rest of you seem to be patrolling the forum instead of using it constructively.

I just registered at this site just to thank djbs for posting his fix in the midst of all you assholes. Do you guys even know what linux is?

Consider this post encouragement to the others (like myself) who are searching for touchscreen lcds and linux.

- hasimir44

Comment

I attempted to put Fedora Core 4 Disk #1 of 4 in and boot the installer. I get to the boot prompt just fine,
                            -DJBS
                            Hi, how exactly did you do that? Did you try to boot the machine with holding down C key and the Linux installation disk in? Are you using x86 version of disk? I'm trying with RHEL on PowerBook. I'm sure, I'm missing something.

Comment

If you are using an Epia hardware, you can simply change in the bios the display preferences, this will help to have the same display behaviour at home and in car.
                              I don't remember exactly where it is in the bios but you should find it, it's mentionned something about LCD, CRT, LCD+CRT etc this will make the bios apply the right refresh values for your screen and let you install without any other annoying events.

Comment

Working...
                              X