Holly Mother of God !!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holly Mother of God !!!!!

OK, I was always a Windows user (and a MSDN member)... untill ....

I installed Suse 10.0.
    WOW!!!!!

I thought that Linux was still a command line / gotta get the right modules / tweak this / tweak that / etc ........

Novell has had the insight to purchase Suse a few years back and they have incorporated "everything" in their stuff.

Novell = Free ( huh ? )

yep, I tried all the distros that run off a CD, but this 5 CD set installed complete with every option just blows my mind....

this coming from a die-hard windows user that has tweak that thing into oblivion.

I just gotta get a smaller box ( 233MMX ) to run SLAMPP and I will NOT be using windows server 2003 enterprise no more
    Mr. Bill gates, no more $$ from me... wait, did I pay you ???

My P4 1.9Ghz is smokin with everything that Linux has to offer (3000 modules) and at 2048x1536 it's much better than windows @ 1600. I guess it wasn't hardware resraints

Anyway, just shouting out to xNIX users here on the boards...

I can't wait to get doing a CF distro for the car.

Don

p.s. pardon the non-MP3 Car content, just needed to shout to my second home.

whats it do.. other that be an operating system?
    View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Comment

for some reason, this became a double post ... mods please delete this one...
      or whichever has fewer responses

thx

Comment

Originally posted by djmickyg
        whats it do.. other that be an operating system?
        I have multiple users and associated web content for them..
        I can log into many users and swith between then in about 2 sec ( 5 - 10 min on windows ). Each user has many interfaces/desktops ( up to 20 I think ). Each desktop can be configured independently ( windows settings, background, screensaver, etc...)

about 98% of the thing we use windows for is better, the only problem I have is my ATI all-in-wonder TV card isn't supported ( in TV mode, graphics are fine), and Adobe CS2. Other than that, It not only a compatible system, it's better. Microsoft is finally coming to the plate late, and with DRM no less.

Link: http://www.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org
        Don

Comment

Yeah linix is fun ****. You can take an old computer with a bad windows install, throw on linux, and have a lighting fast old computer that can do the same things that new ones can.
          Progress,.... that is what I keep forgetting ;)
          planning_[++++++++++]. 110%
          parts___[++++++----] around 60%
          install___[-----------] -9,000%

Comment

i just installed gentoox on my xbox. was easier than windows to install but now that its there i dont know the first thing to do! lol
            mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
            Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
            Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

make the xbox into a tivo clone using mythtv.
              My carputer project

Comment

How would you do that? The Xbox has no video in.

Comment

There's a couple of USB TV tuners that have hardware encodding, those would work through the controller ports of the X-Box.

Comment

Doh, I can make my xbox into a tivo?

So, I know this is now OT but what the hell, I may build it into my car, so its _OT

I guess I need
                    An xbox. <check>
                    A bigger HD <check>
                    xbox mod chip? <check>
                    USB tv tuner (wintv?)
                    Some OS
                    mythTV

I saw something about RSS and torrents and series of stuff downloaded etc
                    Could it do that too?

I currently use XBMC to play stuff would I lose that ?

If so I may just buy another xbox and build this setup etc, then dump the dvd player+hd recorder combo because its never been useful as it wont connect to pc
                    Lez, more widely known as flez1966

Comment

i think i'll just let my tivo do the tivo'n lol

Comment

and what store sells them ?

exactly.

I know comet did, but not anymore afaik
                        Lez, more widely known as flez1966

Comment

i've only heard of using the xbox as a mythtv frontend, not as a backend.

which isn't to say that it can't be done, but i've just never heard of it.
                          Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by lez
                            USB tv tuner (wintv?)
                            Some OS
                            mythTV
                            The USB tuner needs to be a USB 1.1 that has hardware encoding, not one of the newer USB 2.0, as the XBox's controller ports are only USB 1.1. You're limited to either Linux (which MythTV runs under) or Windows CE.net (not very usefull) currently in OS choices.

I saw something about RSS and torrents and series of stuff downloaded etc
                            Could it do that too?
                            Linux turns your XBox into a full-fledged PC (minus good 3D, but they're working on it), and the MythTV frontend supports reading of RSS feeds, wether information, and a whole lot more, directly from its interface.

I currently use XBMC to play stuff would I lose that ?
                            Maybe, the XBox Linux project doesn't directly support having homebrew/backup stuff on the same HD, though I'm sure there are ways around that. With MythTV, you will have simular playback capabilities as XBMC, though, so even if you can't get it working, you won't be loosing any functionality.

If so I may just buy another xbox and build this setup etc, then dump the dvd player+hd recorder combo because its never been useful as it wont connect to pc
                            With the 360 being out, this might actually be pretty cheap to do. However, you might consider building a PC for the task for more flexibility. There's an episode of Systm (an IPTV show, http://www.systm.org ) dedicated to making a MythTV box.

Comment

you can still run ur saved games, xbmc and homebrew with linux installed.. You just have to make sure to follow the prompts. Install on the E or F drive and not reformat or initialize the drive. I now have gentoox and xebian running. xebian via cd and gentoox on the main menu of my evox front end.

Comment

Working...
                              X