Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a simple mp3 player

Hello.
    This is my first post. But have been browsing the board for some months.

I have a small "carputer"
    133MHz 16MB RAM
    Homemade PSU
    1GB HDD
    (no monitor)
    running windows 98, Winamp and a winamp plugin named Albumlist.

I want to try Linux on this machine, but havn't found a mp3 player that would work like the Albumlist plugin.

It needs to have hot keys for everything:
    Next Song
    Prev Song
    Play
    Stop
    Next Playlist
    Prev Playlist

Do anyone know a program that can do this?

Thank you.

look at mplayer and foobar
    '76 LR Series III 109 - Fully Sorted
    '95 Rover 620ti - Working on it

A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist

Comment

did you look at XMMS?

Comment

look at mp3blaster for a relatively full-featured console player (supports playlists, etc..)

Comment

thank you for reply.

I know about XMMS. but i was think more about a console player since there is no need for gui.
          But is there a plugin for it maybe?

Originally posted by TheLlama
          look at mp3blaster for a relatively full-featured console player (supports playlists, etc..)
          Tried mp3blaster yesterday but didn't get playlist to work, will try another attempt tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by igleh
            thank you for reply.

I know about XMMS. but i was think more about a console player since there is no need for gui.
            But is there a plugin for it maybe?

Tried mp3blaster yesterday but didn't get playlist to work, will try another attempt tonight.

look at mplayer and foobar

Mplayer is about the best command line player out there IMHO - and there are both windows and nix binaries available
            '76 LR Series III 109 - Fully Sorted
            '95 Rover 620ti - Working on it

A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist

Comment

Yes, but mplayer is pretty useless (in a car) without 'some' sort of program. Even if it is just a bash script that will just "queue" stuff up.

Comment

Try GQMPEG. Nice, simple, themeable player. It's just a fornt end to your cmd line mp3 player so oss or alsa doesn't matter.

HTH
                My stagnant project

Comment

Perhaps you should explain what the Albumlist plugin does, so we can know what you're wanting.

Comment

thank you for your reply.

Albumlist stores playlists that I have made, instead of winamp only showing one list at a time.
                    Albumlist gives you a list of playlists, then you select playlist by moving forward or Backwards in the list
                    then after your selection winamp displays all the songs in "Winamp Playlist" window there you can select songs by moving forward or backwards using hotkeys.

This all can be done using only the keyboard.
                    So when I'm driving I can select my favorite playlist and then song within selected playlist all without the use of monitor.

See also:
                    http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=28201

Comment

Originally posted by igleh
                      thank you for your reply.

Albumlist stores playlists that I have made, instead of winamp only showing one list at a time.
                      Albumlist gives you a list of playlists, then you select playlist by moving forward or Backwards in the list
                      then after your selection winamp displays all the songs in "Winamp Playlist" window there you can select songs by moving forward or backwards using hotkeys.

This all can be done using only the keyboard.
                      So when I'm driving I can select my favorite playlist and then song within selected playlist all without the use of monitor.

See also:
                      http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=28201
                      I built something similair using the mpg123 player under linux.

http://alcas.circuitdb.com/index.php?page=4#Playlist

mpg123 is a really good and simple player to interface to.

mpg321 is more or less the same. And it seems that it is better maintained, so that might be a better choice instead of mpg123
                      Free circuit designs at www.circuitdb.com!

Comment

I'm also using mpg123 as my backend player. Even though it isn't being currently maintained, it meets all my requirements. I prefer it over mpg321 since it also supports socket based communication that I prefer to use instead of stdin.
                        Silverwolf 2 is dead.
                        Silverwolf 3...?

Comment

Please note that mpg123 is an OSS app whilst mpg321 is a ALSA app.

ALSA is the way forward (albeit kicking screaming).
                          My stagnant project

Comment

I have it wrapped by artsdsp anyway, which works fine.
                            Silverwolf 2 is dead.
                            Silverwolf 3...?

Comment

Working...
                            X