Write your driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Write your driver

Yet another interesting article about writing your own driver.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2476

Writing kernel drivers is fun.

Comment

well when you have at least the manufacturer's informations

Comment

Yes, otherwise it is a major pain. Hell, even writing a parallel port driver for my VFD was a pain.. Mainly just getting the timing and workqueues to work properly.

Comment

wasn't it possible to manage the thing to work through serial port with a little max233 ?

Comment

perhaps, it is originally designed to run in parallel mode or serial mode. However, parallel mode is the only one supporting what they call "DMA" Mode, although it isn't truely Direct Memory Access. I don't think a chip as general as the Max232 would accomplish what I'm trying to do. I think in my case I would need a microcontroller like a PIC and program it to buffer my own serial protocol and write to the screen.

In short, I never bothered with the serial mode of the screen although it could be superior. I got it working in Parallel, it refreshes "fast enough" and that is good enough for me.

BTW, what is that cat eating? It looks like a child's arm or something.

Comment

Yes with a Pic as the max alone can't translate directly it only adapts the voltage level and converts it into 5v TTL.

Comment

Working...
              X