DSL Linux ... Whoooa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL Linux ... Whoooa

I have just been playing around with Damn Small Linux (DSL).
    It can either be run from a live CD (40mb business card even) or installed as a live system, or full system.
    It needs very little memory and it is VERY VERY FAST.
    I booted using the live CD with the "toram" function ( copies everything to ram) and it just smoked.
    I also have been using Suse 10 which is very bloated, and either Slax/Slampp/Slackware on an old 233mhz MMX for a server.
    I'll probably switch the server to run DSL.

I would recommend to everyone to check it out. You can run everything off the CD or Memory without disturbing your main system.

Don

Any links?? Sounds interesting

**Edit - scrub that - googled **

Comment

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

They also sell CarPC parts and hardware on the site.

Comment

ill second u on dsl im new to linux and ive been struggling with it however dsl seems simple even to me, i just did a frugal install to the hdd (like making the hdd the cd) this is perfect for use with cf cards or usb keys and the software is solid, theres also a full on support forum, Its so good iv replaced my suse 10 install with it 2.2b is the latest just get the iso image n burn that to cd. all installs can be done from the cd.

Comment

well i just crossed over the line to linux -- using suse10 i dl it a while back but never did anything till tonight --- rinning on a epia 800 with 640ram had some problems with windows loading so i said what the heck ill try this --- seems cool but im sure it will take a little time

as far as the dsl i looked at it a while back but i could never get it to load up to my 128 mb stick drive i may look into it again -- i have a 6 gig laptop drive with an ide adapter --- the only thing i really want this epia to do is gps and mp3's i could care less about the movies right now as i have a htpc thats wizzing away rightnow--- i could transfer a few back and forth here and there if i wanted to --- maby

ill be reading all the linux post as im sure there are a lot of folks whit a lot of info ill be needing!!!

thanks

chad

Comment

I haven't played with DSL yet, but I'd like to. I just want to get everything up and running first so I can figure out what packages I need. Then I'll worry about stripping my installation down.

I have done a LSF install before though. Good to see all the Linuxites

Comment

I'd like to third the nomination. I checked it out because of this post and it boots and runs so fast, I couldn't believe it. He did a really nice job.

Comment

Basically it's just a cut back version of knoppix if I remember right. Knoppix is based off of Debian.

So, it's just a really small version of Debian. I know that apt-get commands still work on DSL, which is cool.

I'm in the process of building a jukebox for my boss that's based off of DSL. So far, it all takes up about 100mb. Not bad for a full web interface and database behind the scenes. It's still not perfect though.

Check out http://www.ampache.org/ for the jukebox side of things.
                Tidder

Try RevFE
                The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

I'm having problems getting a BitTorrent client to work on it.
                  Something about not being "root" to install ...
                  guess I gotta create some users.

I may run this on my next off-shore server since it's so fast and will only need to do "specific" things

Don

Comment

yes, you must be logged in as root, or as a user who has permissions to access whatever package manager is used by DSL. If it doesn't have one then you need to download the source and do a:
                    # ./configure or # ./make config
                    # make
                    # make install

That is the normal routine at least. You can also use the sudo command to get temporary root access.

Ciao!

EDIT: Btw, I plan to switch my player from Gentoo to DSL or an LFS. I just want to get my system complete first so I know exactly what components I need to install.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLlama
                      EDIT: Btw, I plan to switch my player from Gentoo to DSL or an LFS. I just want to get my system complete first so I know exactly what components I need to install.
                      Ah, traitor

Acutaly I like DSL as a distro for old/slow systems as it is fast, easy to install, and includes most of the programs I'll need anyway. However nothing can beat the control and speed I get from a gentoo stage 2 install, even if it does take a few days to emerge everything on a P200MMX.

Comment

Originally posted by Don 944 LA
                        I'm having problems getting a BitTorrent client to work on it.
                        Something about not being "root" to install ...
                        guess I gotta create some users.

I may run this on my next off-shore server since it's so fast and will only need to do "specific" things

Don
                        Open up terminal and type sudo su. Then install as normal. That'll give you root.
                        Tidder

Try RevFE
                        The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

DSL seems to be a capable and stable (for the most part) Distro. It is not bloated nor completely full featured, nor was it intended to be. Its primary purpose is portability, and it is stated that it never intends to get bigger than a bussiness card CD (40MB)
                          That being said It will run on some fairly diverse equipment. I use it on a Panasonic toughbook CF-27 to do some map stuff and "war driving" here in Alaska in a tracked off road rig.
                          one nice feature is the "My DSL" extension. Check it out... it might just be what you are looking for.

Comment

Working...
                          X