GPS navigation on Linux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS navigation on Linux?

I saw that several programs are based on Destinator maps. Is it possible to use them in Linux too?
    Anyone is able?
    And what about TomTom on linux? No news?
    FoFo CarPuter Site

I don't know, but you can navigate with the Moon and the stars, good luck. I am one with the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLlama
      I don't know, but you can navigate with the Moon and the stars, good luck. I am one with the wind.
      Tidder

Try RevFE
      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

basically most of the OS linux GPS are nased upon TIGER maps.
        I think you can write converter to convert GDF -> TIGER. That's the easiest way afaik.
        Car pc integration with ease
        Car mediacenter

Comment

Originally posted by veleno79
          I saw that several programs are based on Destinator maps. Is it possible to use them in Linux too?
          Anyone is able?
          And what about TomTom on linux? No news?
          I use Infomap Navigator which works fine on linux and have maps for europe. I don't know where the maps comes from though.

Comment

http://linuxadvocate.org/projects/roadster/ <-- nice antialiased vector graphics (uses cairo)
            http://roadnav.sourceforge.net/ <-- has 3d view, touchscreen-friendly
            http://roadmap.digitalomaha.net/ <-- looks kinda sucky, but works.

Comment

GoogleEarth has recently been ported to Linux. There are many distros supported; has anyone tried it yet?
              My project: double indash, Golf IV
              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=841754

Comment

I installed it on my linux box at work and it seems to work as well as the windows version. It would do for navigation in a pinch but getting directions from one address to another works for some addresses and not for others. It would definitely be a cool add-on to a real nav app especially using the $20 version that can read from a GPS. Depending on where you live it would be pretty much useless unless you like animated flyovers of blurry 1km resolution photos
                Silverwolf 2 is dead.
                Silverwolf 3...?

Comment

the real thing is OpenStreetMap - it's gonna take a while to collect the data (except for the U.S, where the TIGER-import is running at about 1.000.000Nodes/day) but in the end it's the most viable solution for linux navigation.
                  right now on the software end gpsdrive is probably the best thing available. if you're using the CVS version you can import OpenStreetMap data.

I'm myself an OSM-addict, and mapping is a lot of fun + in the end (which is some years from now) data will probably be more exact/timely than commercial solutions.

i'd find it real cool, if in SW2 you could choose your nav.app of choice and have it switch to it (so everybody get's his preferred app)

Comment

Hello!
                    Google Earth is also one of my possible choices for navigation. Works flawlessly on my Debian Etch desktop. I am almost sure, you cannot use it for address to address planning, also there is not any street names.
                    But Google have some other project - Google Maps (completely online) with street names even of my little town at the edge of the world (be sure not to fall off ) in Eastern Europe. There is also a possibility to overlay sat image and navigation maps. And there comes a problem - they are not alligned, an error of approximately 50-70 meters. Not good in a city.
                    Another problem there is as it is online service you have to manually cache all maps and reuse them somehow.
                    And last but not least - legal stuff. As I understand - you may use this service, but are not allowed to change the maps or distribute. So, not good for an Open source project I am searching for. But maybe somebody have tried to do something with it. Could be good as it is global, not only US or Western Europe.

Comment

I have used GPS before. The problem is downloading the maps before going on a trip. Some times a detour is made and you can't find your self on a map. If your in the middle of nowhere this isn't any use. A wifi connection or cell modem could come in handy in these situations.

Would any one be interested in a script that would download maps for GPS drive when at an open wireless access point?

My thoughts were to have a bash script to download the maps for the current location and other tiles around the area . I might consider adding different zoom level maps too so there will at least be some soft of map.

Let me know by PM or by replying to thread if your interested, my room mate is a GIS major and also uses GPS Drive so I'm sure he'd help with the script.
                      CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
                      Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

That would be awesome =)
                        My project: double indash, Golf IV
                        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=841754

Comment

If you are able to download maps of current position, it would be screamingly awesome indeed! But, if it is done being underway, bad thing is to be dependent on internet connection, and also waiting for download to complete - could look laggy (I mean if I use my super jet ) On the other hand - if you do all the hard work before driving off (and it could be done by the first one of us for every area) you are well prepared with a full func system.

Comment

I'll look into creating it one then. I'll have to whip out the ole' GPS and laptop for the time being.
                            CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
                            Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

Working...
                            X