HOWTO - Toggle Monitor Off/On at X startup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOWTO - Toggle Monitor Off/On at X startup

I have a problem with my Lilliput. When X starts up, my monitor goes nuts. Toggling the power button fixes it.

Being lazy, I came up with the following fix.

Make sure power management is set up for your monitor in xorg.conf

Code:
    Section "Monitor"
      Option "DPMS"
    Make a script called togglemonitor (probably should put it in /usr/local/bin)

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/X11R6/bin/xset dpms force off
    /usr/X11R6/bin/xset dpms force on
    Then in your Xsetup file (under something like /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsetup for KDM, I believe for xdm and gdm there is an equivalent)

Add the following line
    Code:
    /usr/local/bin/togglemonitor
    Anyone else have this problem btw?
    GE Cache Builder | me@cardomain |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

One of the Dell 2001FP monitors on my desktop at work goes nuts occasionally when (re)starting X with green vertical lines until I turn it off and on again. A minor annoyance on a desktop but it would be an extreme annoyance in the car. If I run into that problem I'll be sure to try your fix (although I'm currently eyeing a Xenarc screen for the install in my van).
    Silverwolf 2 is dead.
    Silverwolf 3...?

Comment

Originally posted by intuitionsys
      One of the Dell 2001FP monitors on my desktop at work goes nuts occasionally when (re)starting X with green vertical lines until I turn it off and on again. A minor annoyance on a desktop but it would be an extreme annoyance in the car. If I run into that problem I'll be sure to try your fix (although I'm currently eyeing a Xenarc screen for the install in my van).
      Yes, it's very annoying.

It seems like with the new install, everything is (at least configuration wise)

I knocked this out in a couple minutes, which wrongly gave me the impression that everything would go smoothly. Seems the more mundane the task, the more problematic it's being. Enough venting..
      GE Cache Builder | me@cardomain |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

Working...
      X