Touchscreen whose drivers play nice with Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touchscreen whose drivers play nice with Linux

Anyone have any sugestion on which touchscreen monitors and drivers for them work well with linux? (specifically Vector Linux....btw is a very small and fast distro.....www.vectorlinux.com)

Anyways...my friend has just purchased a Pyle touchscreen monitor, and it has been a nightmare getting the drivers working. Has anyone had ALOT of experience with getting drivers to work in linux? I mean, they are linux drivers, but only for the wrong kernel version...so we just need to adapt them somehow.

So let me know if you have found any monitor that comes with a variety of touchscreen linux drivers...i am personally considering a lilliput, not sure what they have to offer.

Let me know.

The eGalax touchscreen drivers are pretty easy to install, see here: http://tzilla.is-a-geek.com/articles/egalax/
    System status: in progress

Comment

That pyle touchscreen isn't designed to work with a PC, so you're going to have problems with connecting it to any computer with any OS. That unit was designed to control a Pyle DVD player or similar car audio gear.

The egalax drivers noted above will work with just about any of the commonly available touchscreens on the market (Lilliput, Dynamix, Xenarc, Super, Avatar, etc.).
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

xenarc + FC5

Well Fedora Core 5 now works with the Xenarc TSV 700 series.

They updated their website with newer installer for FC5.

Comment

I've been using the Xenarc 700IDT In-Dash touchscreen with Linux for some time now.
          Offical Freeway Subforum
          Official Freeway Website

Comment

Another Driver

I have another suggestion. I personally could not get the eGalax drivers to work when installed according to the README and any howto on the web. However, I did follow one howto and used the EVTOUCH drivers. You can find these at multiple locations if you google for them.

I was able to follow the instructions, have the xorg.conf file modified to use the EVTOUCH driver, calibrated and it works great. What I am not clear on is that it stills need to have the "usbtouchscreen" module loaded which is aliased with touchkitusb, which from my knowledge is the eGalax driver. I needed to have the eGalax driver compiled with the Kernel, though.
            Epia Nano ITX N10000E, Morex 1677 Case, 1024MB RAM, TSST Slim DVD/CD-RW, 60GB Fujitsu Notebook HDD, Win XP Home/Mandriva 2008 Dual Boot

Comment

Originally posted by fossks
              I have another suggestion. I personally could not get the eGalax drivers to work when installed according to the README and any howto on the web. However, I did follow one howto and used the EVTOUCH drivers. You can find these at multiple locations if you google for them.

I was able to follow the instructions, have the xorg.conf file modified to use the EVTOUCH driver, calibrated and it works great. What I am not clear on is that it stills need to have the "usbtouchscreen" module loaded which is aliased with touchkitusb, which from my knowledge is the eGalax driver. I needed to have the eGalax driver compiled with the Kernel, though.
              I believe if you are using Xorg, you need two drivers. The first converts the touchscreen output into raw data as a device, and the second reads the device into Xorg. I could be wrong, since I don't use Xorg (I only need the kernel module). Check out http://linux.chapter7.ch/touchkit/mini-howto.txt. Not sure if you've seen that howto, but it explains in more detail. Its also written by the author of the kernel module, I think.

Comment

Hmmm... I know i must be doing something wrong here. I plug in my touchscreen and the X and Y axis are swapped. I tried to add the correct line "options touchkitusb swap_xy=1" to the /etc/modprobe.conf (which modprobe.conf didn't exist on my ubuntu system therefore had to be created), but it doesn't make a difference. You guys I've found are the pioneers in this field, any suggestions?

Thanks
                Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Originally posted by kev000 View Post
                  Hmmm... I know i must be doing something wrong here. I plug in my touchscreen and the X and Y axis are swapped. I tried to add the correct line "options touchkitusb swap_xy=1" to the /etc/modprobe.conf (which modprobe.conf didn't exist on my ubuntu system therefore had to be created), but it doesn't make a difference. You guys I've found are the pioneers in this field, any suggestions?

Thanks
                  A quick Google search makes me think that Ubuntu doesn't treat module options the same way as other distributions. I'd suggest looking up how to add module parameters correctly for Ubuntu specifically. Does 'modules-update' or 'update-modules' exist on your machine?

To test to see if the swapping does work, I'd suggest removing the module and then restarting it, but with the swap command. Check out modprobe and insmod man pages if you're not sure how to do that. If it works with insmod, then you know you just have to configure your Ubuntu system to load the correct module options.

Comment

I finally figured out how to swap the XY. This will be good refernce for any other ubuntu/debian users down the road: instead of writing to /etc/modprobe.conf you need to create a file named after the module in /etc/modprobe.d/ . In my case ubuntu called the touchscreen, "usbtouchscreen" so I made a file called "usbtouchscreen.modprobe" and put the option in there to swap the XY. It worked.

Now my problem lies in that no matter what I change my xorg.conf values to be, the inacuracy of the mouse doesn't change. Here is what it looks like:

Section "InputDevice"
                    Identifier "usbtouchscreen"
                    Driver "evtouch"
                    Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
                    Option "DeviceName" "usbtouchscreen"
                    Option "MinX" "62"
                    Option "MinY" "1910"
                    Option "MaxX" "1966"
                    Option "MaxY" "45"
                    Option "ReportingMode" "Raw"
                    Option "SendCoreEvents"
                    EndSection
                    Again changing the min and max values appears not to effect in any way. Any suggestions?

Comment

stumped... do any of you know how to check to see if xorg is actually using the "evtouch" driver? I think the problem is that it never loads that driver for some reason.

Comment

i installed Ubuntu 6.06.1!...i install the driver from eGalax site, and when i launch the config tool on the terminal appear the image in attachment!....please help me!
                        Attached Files
                        Fiestaputer!

Comment

did you actually compile the driver? tkpanel0 and 1 are kernel device nodes, and the tool seem have a problem opening any of them, make sure you have such devices in /dev first, then launch the tool. With egalax driver you also have one more driver, for Xorg, or X11 that you need to compile and load with X
                          EPIA TC 1G 256MB 60GB Linux,WindowMaker, Roadnav, Xine, XMMS, iGuidance3
                          Lilliput 8", Pharos i360, WUSB11v2.6 WiFi

Comment

simple request

Is there anyway I could get one of you with a working touchscreen to output the results of:
                            Code:
                            ls /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/
                            for me. It appears that by ubuntu edgy distro doesn't even have this directory by default. I wonder if xorg will even look in this directory for the drivers.

thanks

[edit]SOLVED: I fixed the problem, I made a symbolic link to the driver and put it in the folder /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/

Comment

hi,

I had some trouble getting the touchscreen on my Lilliput 619GL-70NP/C/T to work.
                              After much fumbling and trying I found the evtouch driver was using the mouse interfaces in some way and not the correct touchscreen entry in /dev/input.

The solution was to make a new udev rule.
                              I made a new file in /etc/udev/rules.d and named the file 010-local.rules :
                              SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", DRIVERS=="usbtouchscreen", NAME="input/touchscreen"
                              Now all touchscreens handled by the "usbtouchscreen" kernel module will be found at /dev/input/touchscreen.
                              Both me and the computer is happy, we always know what entry to use

See http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
                              for more information about udev.

So this is the relevant part of my xorg.conf:
                              Section "InputDevice"
                              Identifier "touchscreen"
                              Driver "evtouch"
                              Option "Device" "/dev/input/touchscreen"
                              Option "DeviceName" "touchscreen"
                              Option "MinX" "165" #Not calibrated yet
                              Option "MinY" "165" #Not calibrated yet
                              Option "MaxX" "1845"#Not calibrated yet
                              Option "MaxY" "1945"#Not calibrated yet
                              Option "ReportingMode" "Raw"
                              Option "Emulate3Buttons"
                              Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
                              Option "SendCoreEvents" "Off"
                              Option "SwapX" "0"
                              Option "Swapy" "1"
                              #Option "Calibrate" "1"
                              EndSection
                              Now, my problem is to calibrate the damn thing a bit better.
                              How does the Min and Max parameters work?

Comment

Working...
                              X